24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injector problem again???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Injector problem again???

I had previously had the truck at the dealer and they said it had 2 clogged injectors. I

I bought a set of injectors off from a place that sells on ebay (Pensacola Diesel, Inc.) and installed them.

The truck ran great and had all it's power back, for two days, then stated idling rough again, smokes when you punch it and the fuel mileage is way down (14.2 with no trailer).

Could the injectors be clogged again already?

The truck is a 2001 Ram 2500 4wd, automatic with 3.55 gears that's stock other than having the muffler and cat deleted.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:08 PM

here is a post form a camping forum I read alot. The member Colorado Dirtbikers hot shots RV around North America and seems to know his stuff.

I would give his suggestion a shot.

Short version for those that don't want to click the link.

Drain the fuel filter, fill bowl with power service or the like, replace with new filter. Start the truck, shut off after 15 seconds and let it sit overnight. This allows the additive to work all night on a dirty or clogged injector.

He claims it works well so it's worth a shot.

http://www.outbackers.com/forums/ind...howtopic=28211

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Do regular auto parts stores sell the Stanadyne or Power Service cleaners?

Where's the best place to find it or something that will work the same?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:28 PM

Any parts store, wal-mart, truck stop etc. Easly found.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would also have codes scanned at an Autozone or some such place. It may be a sign of the injector pump issue.
My truck had a VP44 problem when I bought it (I didn't know what to look for). I ran some PowerService through the truck and fuel economy went from 12 to 19 mpg over the course of two fuel tanks. But it did not fix the VP problem of course, I had to replace the pump eventually.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:53 PM

Just realized that the Power Service cleaner/additive is what I've been adding to the fuel in every tank since I got the truck in June.

Went by autozone and picked up another fuel filter (the one in it only has about 3K miles on it).
I'll try a filter change and run the cleaner through it and see what happens.

When I asked the guy at autozone about hooking up a scanner he said unless the check engine light was on it wouldn't show anything.

I'd take it to my buddy at the dealer, but since they went out of business right after they checked it out last time that option is gone for now.
They have Chrysler to thank for that, no product available for 4 months.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 PM

Cleaners not required unless you trying to run WMO or WVO or rotten fuel. To clean injectors, load up with good fuel, Hang 6,000 # on trailer and hang her in the wind for three hours or so. It will hummmmm!!!
did you put new copper rings in bottom of head with injectors?? Look closely for high pressuure fuel leaks.
On additives! in winter when needed use Cetane enhancer (PS or other) or #1 diesel fuel.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by dozer12216
Cleaners not required unless you trying to run WMO or WVO or rotten fuel. To clean injectors, load up with good fuel, Hang 6,000 # on trailer and hang her in the wind for three hours or so. It will hummmmm!!!
did you put new copper rings in bottom of head with injectors?? Look closely for high pressure fuel leaks.
On additives! in winter when needed use Cetane enhancer (PS or other) or #1 diesel fuel.
I add the Power Service additive to every tank because everyone seemed to recommended it to lube the lift pump.
Yes, installed new copper washers with the injectors.
I only buy fuel at two places near the house, the one place is a new station (been open about 5 months).

I've been wondering if the fuel is the issue, but how can you tell?

When you say "Look closely for high pressure fuel leaks.", where are you talking about?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:10 AM

When you say "Look closely for high pressure fuel leaks.", where are you talking about?
Fuel leaking onto engine from loose injector line fittings.
Anything that is solvent reduces lubricity. So perhaps rethink your additive addiction. Doubt your fuel is a problem. The rusty farm fuel tank at side of barn is the worst offender.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:25 AM

Everyone kept telling me to worry about lubricating the lift pump is why I've been adding the Power Service.

I didn't add any to the tank that's in it now and it seems like once the truck gets good and hot it seems like it runs better.

No leaks anywhere on the lines after the injector pump.

I'll try changing the filter and filling the bowl with the Power Service and see what happens.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Go back and read the post on lubricity or check out Mopar1973Man.com
He has the write up on additives. Remember about loading and hanging her in the wind.