24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injector knock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector knock?

Over the last month or so my truck has developed a tick or thats how I would describe it and does not seem to run a s smooth as it use too. I have noticed a vibration in the floor that is more pronounced and the idle doesnt seem to be as smooth as it used to be i the past.

I checked the valves and after 200 000 miles there were still at the factory settings. I also pulled the belt off to see if one of those things was causing the vibration but everything seems to be good.

One thing I did notice when i rev it up when warm is it has a miss to it, its not really repetitive but it is noticable. The vibration pretty much goes away when the RPM's are brough up around 2000 and up.

Not really sure if its the inj pump getting ready to go to the big vp44 graveyard in the sky or what!!

The truck runs very strong and has no starting issues at this point in the game.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced injector knock and if so how would you desribe it?

Fun fun fun!!!

Jason
Old 04-18-2004, 01:13 PM
RCW

Injector knock is generally due to dirty or burned injectors and will be a slight knocking and roughness at idle on a fully warmed engine, and a bit of vibration at higher engine speeds. I would try a good injector cleaner before removing the injectors.

Unfortunately, the VP44 will also give the same symptoms when it is about to seek the happy hunting grounds.

As a rule of thumb, if the injection pump is going, you will need to have your injectors cleaned and rebuilt at the same time. What happens is the stator and vane of the pump disintegrates and then lodges particles in the injection lines, injectors, and overflow ports. It is important that all the line cleaning and injectors are done when the pump is swapped, so that crud does not end up back in the system with a new pump.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:57 PM

ok, that makes some sense. The idle is not as smooth as it use to be and there is mild vibration under load at highway speeds so that is probably it then.

I guess I knew it was coming so I better start putting some cash away for a new one.

Anyone know where to get one on Canada for a half decent price?

Jason
Old 04-19-2004, 09:30 PM

"Anyone know where to get one on Canada for a half decent price?"

Try either www.piersdiesel.com or www.wildcatdiesel.com

Jim