24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

injecton pump for a 24 valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injecton pump for a 24 valve

I have never worked on a 24 valve truck or owned one, last week a friend of a friend truck died, as the owned put it hammer down passing a truck with the box on.
Any way my friend who has helped me many times asked how too, and where to get a pump? After down loading all of the materal and how too off the internet and he bought a pump kit.
Was not as hard as I had thought, had to call Andy ( very smart guy) to give me a few pointers. One was the key on the shaft, read where that could cause a code problem. Got that problem fixed. One thing that really had us, was the low fuel pressure after priming the lift pump and did not wont to have more than 5 psi at gauge.
We had installed a complet kit, injection pump, filter, lift pump. Installed a gauge, cracked the brass plug several turns. We ever used air in the fuel tank to help prime the pump. The key was cycled several times. Only 5 psi, the injection pump, zipo, At this point, all I could think was keep calm, for all that did. I even removed the return line at the injection pump and fuel was running out. My 12 valve truck was looking better and better at this point.
Could a new lift pump be bad or what the .... ? Turns out a quick call again to Andy and problem solved. By pulling the plug all the way out and priming the heck out of the lift pump and finally 15 psi or close to that after the plug was installed. Injection pump bled out very quickly. For what ever it is worth . What a learing experience, Jim
Old 07-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Thanks Jim....

I just purchased a 98 24 valve and was changing the fuel filter oil etc since I do not know squat about the truck. I tried removing the test plug as you mentioned and nothing....finally figured the LP must be bad so that is where I am at now....but I have been having some of the same feelings as you on my trusty 12valve! Your post has giving me more insight. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:58 AM

Removed the test plug what the ?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
The 98.5 & 99s had two test ports on top of the fuel filter canister.

It makes it REAL easy to hook up a fuel presure gauge.