24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injection Pump TOASTED

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injection Pump TOASTED

Allright guys, I need some info quick, please. Pretty sure I just lost my IP. For about a week and a half, Ive been having hard starts, today that all stopped. Truck wont start, it cranks, just wont start. Ive been runnin FASS for about 5000 miles due to loosing a few LP's. Im sure its the IP, if you think otherwise let me know. Im 8k shy of not being under warranty, but the dealer is giving me grief due to modifications to the fuel system. Im currently waiting to hear back from the service manager If they take it, Im gonna have to pull my edge. Do you think it will throw any codes, and screw me out of the warranty fix. Let me know guys

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Banned

Tom,

For starters this is in the wrong Forum so if one of our administrators catches it maybe they can square that away for you and put it in front of more VP equipped eyes.

Personally I think you should be fine by removing the Comp. Remember that when the Comp MAP harness is hooked up it is fooling the ECM into thinking that you have not been overboost. As for the wire tap, well I think that will depend on the dealer and the tech.

As for the FASS causing them to deny your claim I would think that if you can document your previous LP failures and then assert to them that it is their obligation to PROVE that your replacement part caused the problem they should cover it. (not considering the wire tap here though) If they don't maybe making them aware that you would consult with an attorney will strengthen your point. From a reasoning standpoint why would they want to retain counsel and fight over a $2000 claim? Surely their legal costs will come close to that should it go that far.

Now, lets say they spit it back at you and it becomes your baby.... Get yourself a HRVP or a Blue Chip VP. I had one LP failure at 88K on my stock IP. At 159K I installed the FASS and the TST. The IP lasted about 1K! Then I put in a Blue Chip and went about my business. I am now knocking on the door of 200K with out any issue at all. It is my belief that the previous failing LP's did the damage to your IP and now you are seeing the result. One way or another get the VP swapped and monitor your FP in the future. Used to be anything under 5psi was bad, but now most are leaning towards anything under 8psi is

Tom, if you need to talk about this in a little more detail gimme a call if you still have my number. I went through my own warranty battle with DC over the infamous brake pull problem.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

Nick, Nice to hear from you. So check this out. I went back to where my truck was and started doing some process of elimination, this time with tools. I took the fuel line off the IP just to make sure the FASS was flowin fuel. No problem there. So I cracked one of the injector lines off of the IP, no problem there either, had fuel pulsing out. A little puzzled at this point, I tried to crank it over agian...batteries died So, I had my buddy take me to the parts house, I bought two new batteries, installed them. What do you know, fired right up. What a trip. I thought for sure it was a fuel issue, by the way its been acting. Go figure. I never lost a battery in a diesel before, if it would of been in a gasser, then that would of been a no brainer.

Tom
Old 06-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Registered

what codes are you getting 0216? thats the vp. Is your pump wire tapped? if so your warranty is probably toast also. take all you can off before going to the dealer (might have to go to another). I would think the fass could stay, but who knows. If they wont warranty it you can do it yourself for 1k and 2-3 hours with simple hand tools and a little help from DTR
Old 06-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Banned

?

UHm..why is this in the 12 valve section?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TireHauler04
UHm..why is this in the 12 valve section?
Uhm, honest mistake, Im sure it will get moved
Old 06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Moved it.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the wire is tapped most dealers won't have anything to do with it. If we replace one under warranty there is a chance that DC will decline the warranty claim and then the dealer eats the bill. They have made it perfectly clear on this subject.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
If the wire is tapped most dealers won't have anything to do with it. If we replace one under warranty there is a chance that DC will decline the warranty claim and then the dealer eats the bill. They have made it perfectly clear on this subject.

Yeah.....When I worked for Nissan, we (US tech) had to be super careful with wnty work. He to document EVERY LITTLE THING! If it wasn’t worded right, Nissan (Not the dealer) would kick it back and you got back flagged the time you spent working on the issue. Its a crappy deal....but i can understand the dealers stance with the VP-44 wire. (HOW are these still under wnty anyway? Extended wnty?)

OK…now pertaining to the FASS/HPFP: If anyone has issue with the Dealer over the FASS/HPFP, get it in writing. Then send it to us. I know Brad takes that stuff very seriously when the dealer says that the FASS voids wnty! He will help you fight it. To date, we have not heard of any issues. Heck we got Dodge Dealers as vendors for us! Have them do their flow test...i bet they will find more than adequate volume to power the VP!!
Old 06-09-2006, 04:18 PM

Remove the comp but I doubt they'll warranty with a pierced wire... The FASS shouldn't be a problem but I've had two separate service managers complain about it... one refused to even look at the truck because of it.

On the issue of warranty left, there are still a few trucks that fall in the 5 year range... mine has a build date of July 2002, one of the very last 2nd Gens ever made.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better yet trade me for my 05! I take your truck no payments and you take mine with payments!!!

Yours does have soooo many miles on it!!!

I guess, If I had to, I could make that old farm truck run!!!

Just last week I heard you say , " Oh, hell, it don't run it just looks purdy sittin in the driveway!"

Disclaimer: Runamuk does not plan on performing normal bodily functions after this post! NOT RECOMMENDED !!

Rick
Old 06-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by runamuk
Better yet trade me for my 05! I take your truck no payments and you take mine with payments!!!

Yours does have soooo many miles on it!!!

I guess, If I had to, I could make that old farm truck run!!!

Just last week I heard you say , " Oh, hell, it don't run it just looks purdy sittin in the driveway!"

Disclaimer: Runamuk does not plan on performing normal bodily functions after this post! NOT RECOMMENDED !!

Rick
Hey, no disclaimers needed. One, I dont beat up on guys your age, secondly, they make pills for bodily function issues, dont you watch TV ol' timer

Cheers, Rick

Tom