24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injection pump bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injection pump bad?

Another injection pump story. On cold start up runs okay a little blue smoke,when i take off truck falls on its face. turn key off and back on and re-start no more problems After truck is warm it does not do this until it cold again. I have checked fuel heater, replaced lift pump, re-set APPS. still does this. Any takers.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:29 PM

Location: 13 miles N.W. of Cleveland, TEXAS in the National Forest
Sounds like a possible air leak or air in the fuel system. You changed out the fuel filter lately? You have a FP gauge? I might suggest filling out your signature about what kind of truck you have so we can get a better handle on things.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:49 AM

Sorry about that... 1999 dodge 1 ton dually Cummins 5.9L And yes i did change out my fuel filter last week when i replaced the lift pump. How do i check for air leaks in the line. or get the air out of the system? Fuel pump gauge ordered today But had it checked 15 idle and 10wot
Old 02-03-2005, 12:42 PM

Sounds like you may have a slight leak in the line coming from the tank to the lift pump. Might be at the quick coupling going into the lift pump too. Did you replace the banjo bolt washers and torque em down good and snug after replacing the lift pump?

Check the fuel filter housing bolt on bottom for leaks and the plugs on top for tightness, crack the low pressure side line coming from the lift pump on the VP44, "bump" the key without starting a couple of times to possibly blow out any air and tighten her up while the pump is running if possible. That won't do the trick, crack #1 & #3 injectors on the head to bleed her out good.

Hope to help...
Old 02-03-2005, 01:05 PM

Yes i replaced all 4 washers on the bajo fittings and tightened them as well. No leaks. Also this was happening before i changed out lift pump. Is it possible for the injector pump to jump timing?
Old 02-03-2005, 02:06 PM

The pump is driven by a computer, cant really jump time. You had it checked for codes on a computer? Still sounds like it's pullin air from somewhere between the lift pump and tank??? O-ring on the quick coupler by the lift pump??? Will it do it with a full tank too??? It does it everytime when cold??? Brainstormin' a little here...
Old 02-03-2005, 02:43 PM

The pump is electronically controlled, but gear-driven by the engine like the older pumps. Gross timing of the pump mechanism is dependent on being properly mechanically sync'ed with the engine, but actual inj. timing is electronic. I've never heard of a VP "slipping".

One thing that lots of people don't realize is that fuel lines under vacuum (tank side of the pump) may not leak fuel but still leak air into the system, so just because there's no fuel leak doesn't mean you don't have an air leak.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:03 AM

Yes it only does it when the truck has set and cooled. It will also do it on a full tank. Also when it is cold if i push the pedal down when it is idling until it warms up, it acts like a choke is stuck on it like an old gas motor with a carburator and will smoke a lot?? maybe an injector stuck open??
Old 02-04-2005, 01:00 PM

Check for fuel line leaks by pressurizing the tank externally. Simply wrap a rag around an air hose stick it in the filler neck and pump it up and hold pressure on it for a few minutes... be easy on the pressure. Really a pain in the neck but crawl under and trace the lines from end to end. You'll need a good light and maybe a mirror. May take a little time to find any seepage if it has a real minor leak. I have not heard of an injector stickin' open. Cold start usually sends out white smoke, not black. Could be a worn nozzle not atomizing the fuel very well. How many miles on her?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:23 PM

I have 180,000 on it. Also the smoke is blue? I have been having this problem for 4 months. I did have the dreaded code 216 i reset it and have not checked again since i did. I think that code was from the prior owner who replaced the injection pump. This problem does not seem like a pump problem to me and several mechanics do not think so either. I am going to put the code reader on it this weekend again to see if i get that code back. This is getting ugly.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you fill out your signature Rnajera????

What year truck are we talking about here?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:34 PM

Not sure why this is not printing this info. but here ya go.

1999 dodge 1 ton dually
5.9l cummins, automatic tranny
180,000 miles.

Thanks