24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Inexpensive Power Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inexpensive Power Mod?

I'm the proud owner of a new 2002 Dodge Ram w/Cummings Diesel (Beauty) that is going to be used intermittently pulling a 8,000 lb SunnyBrook fifth wheel trailer. This is my first experience with a diesel power plant and, so far, WOW!!<br><br>There's just one problem with the rig. I constantly dream of power upgrades. Upon waking and getting that first cup of coffee it seems as though I can smell a faint hint of diesel fuel circling around the room. As I shower, through the stream of water I can hear a low distinctive rattle of a Cummings. As I shave the whirrrring of my electric razor becomes turbo like. I'm afraid the rest of the day is much the same. What the hell have I done? Does this ever go away? What am I destined to become? ???<br><br>Let me let you in on a secret ... I have somewhat of a colorful<br>imagination. But, in all actuality the above is not too far from the truth.<br><br>Get to the point already.<br><br>OK, I would like to tweak the HP and Torque about 20% to 25% if possible .... what are my best options for under $800 or $1,000?<br><br>I've looked over Gale Banks' systems but do not want to spend that kind of money and also I don't want to entertain any upgrades that could potentially have issues with warranty service.<br><br>Finally, my question - Can this be done with intake and exhaust upgrades that will not create any warranty service issues?<br><br>I'm thinking possibly of a K&amp;N, Scotty II or other after market high-flow intake, and a complete Flow Master exhaust system. Is it worth it? There is sooo many opinions on this site, I just had to ask. Any recommendations are welcome as well.<br><br>Lastly, will the my upgrades put out this fire storm of &quot;Gear Head&quot; activity or just fuel it? <br><br>Richard Shelton
Old 11-22-2002, 04:00 PM

Re:Inexpensive Power Mod?

I would say go with a good Stage 2 or 3 injector, and a timming box like the VA or Edge EZ. If you add that much power you would have to upgrade the turbo as well. <br><br>If your really serious about spending that little a money, I would go with a stage 2 injector, and a Piers HX35. <br><br>The possiblities are endless,<br>Andrew
Old 11-22-2002, 04:17 PM

First thing to do is get yourself a good set of gauges. These will tell you alot, especially after you start adding power. Then get a Comp or a TST Powermaxx3 and a Scotty2 ;D
Old 11-22-2002, 11:03 PM

first and foremost..learn that it is a Cummins diesel and not a Cummings ;D
Old 11-23-2002, 11:06 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=midwestdually link=board=4;threadid=7418;start=0#71380 date=1038027802]<br>first and foremost..learn that it is a Cummins diesel and not a Cummings ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br> <br><br>
Old 11-23-2002, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't be easier to run around the country with some white paint and add a G to all the signs at the dealers?????? Sorry lost my head next we would have to go around and re-label all EMS units with Ambliance and so on,and so on !!!!! Welcome to CUMMINS POWER, Some Power Strokes??, A couple of Suzzies and the odd Clatterpillar. Power is no object seeing as $$$$Money= HP= Diesel POWER. Enjoy PK