24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I thought '01's had a hardline wastegate...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought '01's had a hardline wastegate...

...mine does not. It has an elbow and rubber line to the (canister?). There is a hose clamp on the elbow side so it has been changed, the upper side of the hose has a factory pinch clamp.

I cannot read the plate on the turbo to identify it but it does say Holstet.

Do I have an aftermarket turbo/wastegate or did they use the old parts on my engine when it was assembled?

I was looking for leaks in the boots while the batter cables are un-hooked to reset the APPS which I have never tried.

I thought I found the leaking boot because I felt an abrasion next to the AC line but it was not all the way through.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts on this wastegate?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only the automatics had the HY-35 turbo with the hardlined wastegate. Your 5-speed should have the HX-35.

Ruty
Old 06-04-2004, 09:04 AM

OK...next question.

I reset the APPS, removed the airbox to turbo hose and took a test drive. I blew a lot of smoke. Rusty, when I say a lot, it was a lot more than my 99 did with the 3 button Edge. From a slow roll in 2nd gear and then floored to 3000.

I pinched the elbow hose and took another drive, same thing but a tad bit less smoke. I cycled the key before and after and there are no codes set, at least yet.

There is a good bit of oily residue on the turbo vanes so I can expect that the intercooler is dirty as well. Is there anything I can flush through it?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:32 AM

The first question I'd address is "Where is the oil coming from?" Maybe the previous owner had an oiled gauze-type air filter that he over-oiled. On the other hand, the turbo could have a bad shaft seal. Once you have that figured out, then you can look at clean-up.

If an overoiled air filter was the problem, the intercooler shouldn't be severely fouled. You really have to be careful with the balance when cleaning a turbo - a minute bit of imbalance at 100,000 RPM generates tremendous forces on the turbo shaft, bearings and seals. If you have a turbo shaft seal problem, that's a whole different kettle of fish - you need to get that fixed ASAP, or you could be looking at a runaway situation if the seal lets go completely!

As far as clean-up is concerned, if it were me, I'd pull the compressor housing and clean the inside of the compressor housing and the impeller with mineral spirits and a soft bristle brush - you don't want to use anything that can attack the aluminum impeller! Be sure to clean off any residue thoroughly.

If the boost side of the intercooler is truly oil-fouled (pull the inlet hose off the passenger's side of the intercooler and check the plenum), I would pull the intercooler and take it to a qualified radiator (or similar) shop that's equipped to clean it.

JM2CW......

Rusty
Old 06-04-2004, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you run that engine with no air filtration? DON"T do that again!! One little rock kicked up under the truck and hitting the impeller would have ruined your day!!
Old 06-04-2004, 10:27 AM

Good advice, thanks...

The truck had a K&N filter in it when I bought it with 56K on the clock. This oily residue may be from the filter.

I temporarily wired the wastegate open and the smoke appears to be about half of what it was. More of a light gray trail than a black trail.

The wastegate appears to be adjustable. Is it possible that the PO was dicking around with it and has the wastegate partially open?

If this is the case, what is the correct way to adjust it? The 01 FSM does not mention it other than how it works.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you get some pictures of it? They really are not adjustable.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:04 AM

Maybe it's not, the rod appears threaded with a coupler.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:11 PM

What do you know about the previous owner? Had he installed any mods on the truck (box, injectors,etc.)? Is the excessive smoke something new? Since when?
Old 06-04-2004, 01:54 PM

The smoke has increased progressively in the last year. I am guessing that the PO had a box on it, the pump wires are not wrapped very well and it did have a different elbow on it.

Wiring the wastegate open decreased the smoke about 1/3. I checked for codes and still don't have any. Just to be sure, the key on/key off procedure gives me a ECM and then PCM DONE message. Is the method accurate?

A buddy of mine who is a Chemical Engineer thinks the diesel recipe may be a little heavy due to the cost of crude. I can't repeat exactly what he said in his terminology but it seems plausible.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:10 PM

Hot weather (higher ambient temperatures) will also increase smoke as air density decreases. This will be aggravated by a dirt/oil fouled impeller on the turbo.

If smoke is decreasing, you must be wiring the wastegate shut (more boost), not open (less boost).

Rusty
Old 06-04-2004, 02:18 PM

Correct, I wired it closed not open.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:57 PM

I not claiming I know whats wrong, but here is some speculation: can't the wastegate get corroded with soot? Maybe the actuator can't overcome the interference with the build up and allowing a lower boost number. Do you have gauges? Are they reading "normal"?

someone correct me if my thoughts are wrong.

Pat