24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I think my VP44 is soon to die

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I think my VP44 is soon to die

Well I had a dead pedal a couple of times so I started research. Checked my codes and found P1693, P0216 which I pretty much means the VP44 will soon be dead. When I have to replace the VP44 I am going to replace the lift pump. What kind of lift pump should I use. I dont what to spend more than $150 on a lifft pump. I think I will leave my truck stock forever. But I would like to eliminate this problem pump, this is the 3rd one to go out. I saw a carter pump from summit that seems good just what to make sure it will work with diesel. Also how long will it take to change the VP44? I found a 5 video series done by one of the guys on this site. One of the video says to replace crack shaft sensor since the IP is already removed. I am gonna watch these videos a couple of times before I start the work. I am open to all advice.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:40 PM

I was thinking about replaceing the lift pump with the carter fuel pump from summit. It looks I would just run the supply fuel to the carter pump then to the fuel filter bypassing the old stock lift pump. One question do I need to seal off the 2 hoses that would be left open from the stock lift pump. Second what is that wiring plug that plugs into the stock lift pump. I hoping by getting a new fuel pump this will prolong the death of the VP44.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get the lift pump connector from Summit also. Do a search for MSD 8183. This is the correct Deutsch 2 pin connector that will fit the stock wiring harness.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:44 PM

After looking some more it looks like the stock lift pump is just held on to the side of the motor it a bracket. The pumps seems to just have 3 nuts that hold it on from the top, and a larger nut that hold the fuel supply line. IT has a electrical connection on the bottom ( 2 wires). Are those 2 wires just a key hot and a ground. If they are I can just use those to install the new fuel pump. I just need a fuel pump that will put out more volume and pressure than stock and last longer. If it does go out it will be easy to access on the inside of the frame by the front driveshaft. So what is a good pump to replace the lift pump. Under $200?
Thanks for the help
Old 08-21-2007, 08:44 PM

I've seen a lot of guys run the holley blue pump mounted to the frame near the tank with 1/2" fuel line and seem happy with it. Not sure what the cost is. theres also vulcan performances relocation kit that mounts it to the frame near the tank, but you would have to buy a new stock style lift pump if yours is bad. Then theres glacier diesel's Walbro pump whichmounts in the same location as vulcan's kit and comes with bigger fuel line. Its said to be one of the most reliable pumps you can buy...quiet too. I think now matter what you do, your looking at spending more than 150-200 though.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:34 PM

Well I replaced the lift pump with the cummins campaingn pump the one that starts with the part # 409 something it was $75 and came with some other stuff to set it up to tell if fuel pressure went below 3.5 PSI. The pump change took about 1 hr then about 20 min. to purge air. Hopefully this willl buy me some time till the weather gets cooler.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:27 PM

Hey where did you get the campaign pump from? It came with a light senser?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:14 AM

I got this one from a cummins repair shop. It has a pressure sensor that plug into something else. The way I read from the instructions it will make a check engine light come on if the PSI falls below 3.5. These instructions also talk about with this campaign "recall" that was only performed on school buses and emergency vehicles. The instructions say to replace lift pump and injector pump built during a certain time frame.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 AM

Get the carter pump and a{ big line kit} and move it to the frame { now a pusher pump} away from the hot engine compartment . Before i done this my FP would very from 12 psi to 5 psi now it only Vere's 1 to 2 psi . The kit come with every thing you need even the pump mounting bracket { leave the old one on the engine it covers's up a hole in the block } .
Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by blizz
Get the carter pump and a{ big line kit} and move it to the frame { now a pusher pump} away from the hot engine compartment . Before i done this my FP would very from 12 psi to 5 psi now it only Vere's 1 to 2 psi . The kit come with every thing you need even the pump mounting bracket { leave the old one on the engine it covers's up a hole in the block } .
Leave the original lift pump on the engine and install the new liftpump on new braket relocate kit with bigger hoses and wiring extension? Or leave only the bracket to cover hole?
Thks T