24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

i think i need a new torque converter ! what do you think ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think i need a new torque converter ! what do you think ??

ok here is the story !! i have a 99 ctd and it ran excellent for about a month after i installed the edge juice w/att. , now here is how i came to this issue... i was driving one day down the freeyway and some dude in a stoke pulls up on me and opens it up , so being a dodge man i turned the edge to race and ran with him i beat him to the next light.. we both were stopped i guess he had a standard with some kind of lock to create boost cuz all i heard was him spooling ... i have an automatic in mine so i was just building boost buy breaking and holding on the throttle a bit, and off we go i took him buy about a truck length in a approx. 1/4 mi. after that i went and bought a new camp trailer the next day wich weighs around 6,000 lbs, and this is where i came into my problem ... i was towing and everything was going fine until i hit about my third incline.. i had my chip on tow (stage 2) and my tuck started too buck or slip , now it only will do it when chip is on and after i hit o.d. all other gears are fine and have all the power but o.d on or off in the last gear will slip or buck with the chip on .. is this my converter ?? thanks everyone for your opinions!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would bet....from experience on mine and at work, that when you pull your trans you are going to find the prettiest blue/purple ring around the front of your converter from the incredible amount of heat from the clutch slipping.

It's tranny time!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 PM

ive had one truck do the same,,converter and vb fixed it,,ive had another truck do the same,and it was the edge stuff screwing up,and it would only start bucking and such when in lock-up...im not much help i know,,but these are my personal experiences...........on a side note though,,if you dont have an aftermarket converter and vb,,,,just go ahead and get it,,,youll love it,,bama
Old 08-22-2007, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it would buck that to me like the fuel pump is going out. it would like cut out then go then cut out or would it go no were at all and have high engine revs
Old 08-22-2007, 05:39 PM

im only getting a slight bucking and a high rev , not to extreme yet .. so i am guessing its just trying to grab ???
Old 08-22-2007, 08:37 PM

Sounds like TC to me. Mine did the same thing, but my trans had some other bad parts too.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:02 PM

so how did you go about it ? the whole fixing it thing ? im not sure on what approach to take ..
Old 08-22-2007, 09:05 PM

some say a whole new rebuild others say parts .. my truck has 97000 on it .. just need some good ideas to think about ..
Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it sounds to me like a fuel pump especially at higher rpm because it should have a harder time holding down low at high rpm it has less tq so hold easier atleast for me it was that way. the bucking sounds like a loss of fuel to the injection pump when my converter went out it just slipped and didnt go anywere. at high rpm you need fuel if the pump is going out the injection pump cant get fuel so it cuts out and the truck bucks at high rpm. also happened to me.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:17 PM

my torque converter started slipping when going into lock and when i needed more power for a hill. a friend of mine runs a trans. shop so he looked at it. no red stuff in the oil so he took off the valve body, there is a small plate with a very small hole in it, thats what supplys the converter with oil. drilled it out with a #5 drill and after a few days of driving and the plates flatened out there has been no problem. i tested it pulling a 8,000 lb dump truck on a car trailer. i havent been able to make it slip so far. that was a fix for me anyway. good luck