24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I need a new trac bar..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a new trac bar..

I just picked up my truck from the alignment shop and the feller there said I need a new trac bar and a set of shocks to stop my awfull wear patterns on my tires. I haven't been under the truck yet to look at it but he said it was the socket end at the frame that was bad. Is this repairable with Luke's Links or do I really need a new one. Anyone have one laying around or know a good source to get one? This guy wants to charge me $345 and some change for one...
Old 09-18-2007, 04:03 PM

I found a repair kit from LukesLinks for $66. Has anyone used one of these before??
Old 09-18-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up 2 years Now

Originally Posted by PChouinard
I found a repair kit from LukesLinks for $66. Has anyone used one of these before??

I have had one of these for two years now,,, Works great..
Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 AM

Has anyone used the track bar retrofit shown here?
http://www.solidsteel.ca

How do the '03 and newer trackbars hold up?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 AM

I think that a Thuren bar may be in fact cheaper than the 3rd gen setup, at least if purchased with this $170 retrofit kit. I am in need of one myself and trying to decide whether to get a Thuren or a lifetime one from Napa that I would then expect to replace every two-three years. The welding part of Thuren installation makes me nervous, I do everything myself and welding is not one of my skills; I hate the idea of taking it to a shop, something else always brakes if I do this.
http://thurenfabrication.com/trackbar.html
-P
Old 09-19-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I put the Thuren trac bar on mine...awesome results. Fortunately I didn't need to retro fit the 3rd gen and weld the mount on. A certified shop should be able to do a good job on this type of fab. Its easy to get to and doesn't require a whole lot of bead. A call to Thuren will clearly explain this. By the way, I chose this mod to avoid constant trac bar and ball joint replacement, my whole front end was pretty shot so the results were amazing as to steering feel and control. I have nothing to compare it to other than the sloppiness in my steering from when I purchased my truck used, though.

Last edited by SIXSLUG; 09-19-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-22-2007, 12:49 AM

I should be geeting my repair kit from Luke'sLinks any day now. Is anyone interested in step-by-step photos of the install job? If so I will take the time to photograph it and post the results..
Old 09-22-2007, 08:33 AM

I should be geeting my repair kit from Luke'sLinks any day now. Is anyone interested in step-by-step photos of the install job? If so I will take the time to photograph it and post the results..
PChouinard definitely if you are willing to take the time. I need to do my front end as well. I am sure others would appreciate it too!

swordfish
Old 09-22-2007, 03:22 PM

That would be awesome that is the route I'm planing on going.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Registered

I just put on a new track bar on my truck, Got it from autozone for $129 with a life time warrenty.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:44 PM

I just bought and installed mine from Advanced Auto parts, $160 with lifetime warranty. I should have checked with Autozone, forgot about them - could have saved $30 I guess...
-P
Old 09-24-2007, 12:54 PM

Got my $30 back from Advanced. They matched the Autozone price. Thanks Blackdiesel for the tip! Saved me $30.
-P
Old 09-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Registered

I will take my 1/2 in small unmarked bills please
Old 09-25-2007, 09:24 AM

FYI - along with the 3rd Gen trackbar bushing upgrade we already offer, there's a retrofit kit in Beta to install those same HD bushings on the 2nd Gens.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:37 PM

I think there was another thread about this very recently...my truck has low miles but I'd like to know more about this so if it happens I'm ready..

apparently the parts that wear on the 2nd gens are the steering stabilizer, the bushings (I guess the front control arm bushings right?), and then the track bar needs to be replaced...

so what are the options, the best alternative...? and where to get the parts...I know Rip over at Source has some parts for the above, including that 3rd gen trac bar, which requires a bracket for 2nd gens which some of you have mentioned above...? How about Thuren how is their solution different...? also what's the advantage of one over the other (excluding price differences)?

Also my truck is stock ride height and I don't plan on getting it lifted or using a leveling kit...just want to leave it stock suspension

thanks

Quick Reply: I need a new trac bar..