24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I hate car dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:02 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now we are going from
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
I know for a fact that the code was there when he bought it
to a little softer tone of
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
So that right there leads me to believe it was already going out
The FACT of the matter is you can't prove it.

Now that all of that is out of the way, what is the dealer going to do about it. Are they gonna be stand up people and take care of it, warranty it, or what?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vzdude
If the code was there when he bought it, why was the light not on, or why did he buy it with the light on? Have you talked to the previous owner? How can he prove the code was in it when he traded it? Everything you refer to is heresay and not admissable in any court of law. It sounds like that may be where he is headed!? I hope not for all involved. Either way, like I said before, this will show if the dealer is worth anything or not , depending on how they handle this situation. As for them trying to sell his truck, nothing against the law trying to sell a truck that was traded in to them in "good faith". Did your brother or whoever get the title to his newly purchased truck? Probably not. Dealers do that everyday. He should have consulted mommy before trading. The dealer only did what they thought (through his actions) he was able to do. I'm not trying to bash you or your brother, but there are two sides to every situation. Sometimes you have to step back and look at it from all directions.

Well nobody scanned it for codes before he bought it, that's what I was explaining. The check engine light was NOT on, and never came on. My brother ain't that stupid to buy something with the check engine light.....give him a little credit here! But him not knowing anything about diesels, he didn't even think to have them check for codes.......how is he supposed to know the VP44 suck on these??

And like I said earlier, I have a hard time believing that in 3 days of owning it and only 50 miles put on it, that it would throw a code and the injector pump would COMPLETELY die on him. I've seen guys drive for thousands of miles with the 0216 code before they up and quit. If you can prove me wrong that they can 100% die in 50 miles......than I'll gladly shutup!

And he did consult my mom on it genious, all he had to do was take her a paper to sign. But once she found out the truck died on him, she told him to hold on to the paper for leverage incase they decided to be jerks about it.

But just to end this......the dealer fixed it yesterday afternoon and wrote it off under the warranty of the previous owner. The bill came out to $1,900 but they agreed that they didn't catch it and they would fix it.

~Nick
Old 08-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dssimecek
If I remeber correctly on page 11 of the owners manual, or warrenty book it explaine the 100K Cummins warrenty. What is the date of manufacture of the truck, it is on the data plate on the jam. The trucks manufactured after 7/1/02 have a different warrenty. A little research might save big$$$$. Might ask a differet Dodge dealership service department. Some dealers are very knowledgable about the diesels, others don't have a clue. And don't have any diesel techs in the shop. Do a google search on "the good the bad and the ugly, Genos garage has ratings on some of the dealers.
Good Luck
Oh and thank you Davey ( and others ) for being nice and giving some helpful info....

~Nick
Old 08-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Banned

Oh and one more thing, the service manager said he couldn't see anyway possible that the pump would just up and die in only 3 days and 50 miles.....so he sided with me and my brother and that is why he wrote it off under the warranty of the previous owner. The only thing he thought was odd was that the check engine light never came on, but all is well now and he has his truck back.

So I retract part of my statement about the dealerships........the service manager was a nice guy and pleasant to deal with, the general manager on the other hand was a 100% jerk about it.

~Nick
Old 08-01-2007, 11:33 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad it got taken care of. Sounds like you may have a good dealer to work with.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:50 PM

blah I hate dealers. When I went to look at my truck I instantly wanted it but of course didnt show it to the sales man. I told him I wanted to take the truck for a day and take it to my husbands work ( a dealership) and have everything checked. He told me that was not a problem had me sign 1 or two papers for a rental agrement and I was on my way home. The next day I returned and they informed me that I had allready bought the truck...I was like uhhh NO I didnt. Well some how my signature that was on the rental agrement paper ended up on a paper in financing saying I agreed to a carzy interest rate of 13.5%, the car I was planing on trading in was only at 4.9% lol.

Basically they knew what they did because as soon as I started to argue they told me to leave the property or they would call the police. I walked out the door called my mom (she was the primary signer on my car which she nad not signed the car over) and my father in law the both went up there and my mom informed them that she refused to sign the car over. Which means they CAN NOT sell the car. They pretty much fessed up that the paper work was fake (but never exactly said it) but agreed to change my rates and give me the % I wanted (they refused to take the truck back) I really didnt want to get lawyers involved because its alot of hassel I really dont havetime to deal with.

After I bought the truck I met 3 yes 3 people that had the same dealer do this to them. They are all crooks trust me I know first hand
Old 08-01-2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by onebadgoat
They are all crooks trust me I know first hand
Old 08-01-2007, 06:28 PM

Honostly, I think people have WAY too much faith in dealerships. Seems like these days they don't even respect you as much as they used to.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:39 PM

What about the salesman who tries to steer you away from what you want to look at?? He goes:
"You don't want a diesel, let me show you this nice truck with a Hemi engine. Runs much smoother, quieter & doesn't smell". You say: "I'm really in the market for a diesel pickup". He sighs & rolls his eyes & says: "I'm telling you, you don't want one." You say: "Look, buddy, you don't tell me what I want, I TELL YOU! Let's just go talk to your boss.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tocapet
What about the salesman who tries to steer you away from what you want to look at?? He goes:
"You don't want a diesel, let me show you this nice truck with a Hemi engine. Runs much smoother, quieter & doesn't smell". You say: "I'm really in the market for a diesel pickup". He sighs & rolls his eyes & says: "I'm telling you, you don't want one." You say: "Look, buddy, you don't tell me what I want, I TELL YOU! Let's just go talk to your boss.
Tell me about it! I've encountered one. What's he thinking?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM

Hmmm everytime Ive went to look at a vehicle and the salesman asks me what Im looking for they show me what I asked for or they show me the closest thing to what I asked for. Ive never been told what I want to buy. If they tried pulling that I would go talk to a different salesman.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:50 PM

A friend of mine was talked into buying a chevy truck with the small block instead of the big block. This was in the 70s. He wound up with a 400 small block instead of the 396 big block he wanted because the salesman said, "you won't be able to tell the difference". Result: His wife's car with the 396 could blow him off the road.