24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I hate car dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate car dealerships

I really do hate car dealerships. Especially the ones who say they run there vehicles through there inspections and BLAH BLAH BLAH.

My brother bought an 02 Cummins on Thursday. It has 75,000 miles on it, really nice and clean black truck. Well he got all happy and didn't call me before he bought it.....wanted to surprise me! Well Sunday he calls me and says it is running weird and has really bad power loss.....AKA DEAD PEDAL! Well the truck ended up crapping out on him and I had to tow it back to the dealership for him......throwing the 0216 and 1693 code.

So thus is why I hate dealerships! They don't check ANYTHING before they toss them on the lot, they say they do but they don't! And another thing is that the finance guy told him that his truck still had the 100k warranty from Cummins, but now that it's back in there shop they are telling him that it's expired cuz it's only a 60 month or 100K warranty. Needless to say he is not a happy camper!

Ahhhh don't venting.....thanks I needed that!

~Nick
Old 07-30-2007, 03:15 PM

I could not agree MORE!!!!
the "salesmen" are the best liers i have ever seen!
well the service guy's (up front) come in a close 2nd place!!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NCYZ1V
I could not agree MORE!!!!
the "salesmen" are the best liers i have ever seen!
well the service guy's (up front) come in a close 2nd place!!!!!
AMEN brother! LOL I had bought a truck from the same dealership a few years ago, got the truck home and it leaked almost 2 quarts of fluid out of the t-case in roughly 30 minutes.......took it back to them and they accused me of cracking the case when I had the truck less that 3 hours They told me my extended warranty would not cover it cuz it was a pre existing condition, and they wanted to charge me $1,800 dollars to put in a "USED" tcase! Buncha crooks!

~Nick
Old 07-30-2007, 04:26 PM

My best experience with used cars has been with consignment dealers. They have no flooring cost and don't seem to be under as much pressure to make a sale. Cars are usually checked out better and I have sent my friends there when in need of cars. Just my .01 cents
Old 07-30-2007, 05:41 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's like any other business. The sales guy is depending on the info given to them from the service department. Most service depts employ wannabe mechanics trying to learn the trade for less wages than they can make at McDonalds! The end result is an unhappy customer. I usually tell people that my crystal ball is broke, and I wish I had an answer as to why things happen when they do, but I make it right in the end. I don't work for a dealer anymore, but I am wondering more and more everyday why! If any one wants to go in with me and buy a Dodge dealership PM me. I think if we specialize in diesels we can have people driving from a 5 state area to come see us! LOL
Old 07-30-2007, 05:57 PM

Well just to let you know, I work for a dealership, but not for dodge. I work for mercedes and we do a free 28 point inspection any time a car comes in for service. That test does not include any checking of codes. If we were to check engine codes for free we would loose money cause we charge like $100 to check codes. Its buisness. We do sell certified pre owned mercedes, which all used cars sold by us go through and extensive check up and tune up replacing belts, spark lugs, coolant flush, brake flush, new windshield wiper blades, and fuel filter, we also check all codes and reair anything wrong befor we sell it. If you shop at respected dealership you get better service.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:25 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

The code may not have even been there when it went through inspection! Things happen. If you could predict the future, we need to talk! That's really what I was getting at. Between the used car department not wanting to spend money on units, uneducated people working on them and other problems, things happen. If you had the best technician in the world check it over before it was sold, does that mean it will last forever? Things happen. Could they have cleared the code and set it on the lot for sale? Sure! Did they? Who knows and worse off, try to prove it. The end result is the same. Trucks broke. Now .......how they deal with that will be the true measure of how good of a dealer they really are! Good luck with it all.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:26 PM

Hey, Gotlift, I believe somebody found on here about the warrenty where if you have the Diesel option that the warrenty on the motor starts after the Other expires////I believe you can get the IP replaced for nothing if you fight it---Do a search here and you will find it---May have to be fixed by cummins though---but thats ok---also I fiqure the dealer has a warrenty for some period after the sale...
Old 07-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stix
Hey, Gotlift, I believe somebody found on here about the warrenty where if you have the Diesel option that the warrenty on the motor starts after the Other expires////I believe you can get the IP replaced for nothing if you fight it---Do a search here and you will find it---May have to be fixed by cummins though---but thats ok---also I fiqure the dealer has a warrenty for some period after the sale...

I remember reading that thread awhile ago, I'll have to dig it up if they don't want to fix it. Although he might just give the truck back......they let him take the truck without having my mom sign off on his Chevy and right now she said no way in heck is she signing it now! I say good luck to them trying to get that stubborn women to sign ANYTHING at this point!! And the funny thing is they have his old truck on the lot trying to sell it right now.......isn't that illegal since they don't have ALL of the paper work signed releasing the truck to them?

And I know for a fact that the code was there when he bought it....I can quarantee that's why the previous owner traded it in. My brother had the truck 3 days and put less that 50 miles on it.....so there is no way that code just popped up! We'll see, I hope he just gives the truck back and buys something different.

~Nick
Old 07-31-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
And I know for a fact that the code was there when he bought it....I can quarantee that's why the previous owner traded it in. My brother had the truck 3 days and put less that 50 miles on it.....so there is no way that code just popped up! We'll see, I hope he just gives the truck back and buys something different.

~Nick
Since you know that for a fact you must be tons smarter than your bro

Bob
Old 07-31-2007, 01:11 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

If the code was there when he bought it, why was the light not on, or why did he buy it with the light on? Have you talked to the previous owner? How can he prove the code was in it when he traded it? Everything you refer to is heresay and not admissable in any court of law. It sounds like that may be where he is headed!? I hope not for all involved. Either way, like I said before, this will show if the dealer is worth anything or not , depending on how they handle this situation. As for them trying to sell his truck, nothing against the law trying to sell a truck that was traded in to them in "good faith". Did your brother or whoever get the title to his newly purchased truck? Probably not. Dealers do that everyday. He should have consulted mommy before trading. The dealer only did what they thought (through his actions) he was able to do. I'm not trying to bash you or your brother, but there are two sides to every situation. Sometimes you have to step back and look at it from all directions.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny thing is that in 15 years of working on this stuff I've probably only had two guys bring in a truck from another dealer or used car lot for a "second opinion" check over. I know one of my good customers should have after I had to install a lift pump & VP on his "new to him" 02 within a week of him buying it. Personally if the truck is nice and the price was good it may be worth just fixing it.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
. . . the finance guy told him that his truck still had the 100k warranty from Cummins . . .
The Cummins engine was sold to DaimlerChrysler without warranty. All warranties are from DC with the exception of tires. The warranty in 2002 was extended to ALL owners, not just the original owner - no registration or transfer fees.

Here is the original warranty thread. If your brother chooses to try the warranty route, it sounds as though mom needs to do the talking.

-Thomas
Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 AM

If I remeber correctly on page 11 of the owners manual, or warrenty book it explaine the 100K Cummins warrenty. What is the date of manufacture of the truck, it is on the data plate on the jam. The trucks manufactured after 7/1/02 have a different warrenty. A little research might save big$$$$. Might ask a differet Dodge dealership service department. Some dealers are very knowledgable about the diesels, others don't have a clue. And don't have any diesel techs in the shop. Do a google search on "the good the bad and the ugly, Genos garage has ratings on some of the dealers.
Good Luck
Old 08-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bob4x4
Since you know that for a fact you must be tons smarter than your bro

Bob
Your point being what? A flippin injector pump does not throw and code and die COMPLETELY within 50 freakin miles. He drove the truck home from the dealer....roughly 20 some miles, drove to work, and didn't even make it back home. So that right there leads me to believe it was already going out, just nobody at the dealer nor my brother caught it!

And yes I am smarter than my brother when it comes to diesels....he doesn't know the first thing about them......but I didn't go buy the truck with him so why am I getting the from you? If I would have went with him I would have had them scan it before he even looked at it!

~Nick

Quick Reply: I hate car dealerships