24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hydrogen (HHO)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CamperAndy
And is there any specific data point in my calculation that you disagree with?

Personally I get right at 17 in mixed driving (non towing) without the hocus pocus and could do better if I off loaded some of the junk out of my truck.
Thanks for the reality check in your previous post. It seems hard for some people to understand that the energy required to split water comes from the alternator, which takes power to turn. The larger the load, the more power required to turn it. If you could get an improvement in fuel economy with the HHO system, why wouldn't you just use it as sole fuel to run a smaller engine, that did nothing but turn a generator to split more water? Free power! Yippeee!
Old 09-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stratous
You are wrong carl48, I currently am running a self made hho unit in my 2006 cummins truck. With 1.5 liters per minute, my MPG went from 17.7 to 24.3 in town. Most people think of the addition of HHO incorrectly. Its not intended to replace your fuel, its purpose is to increase the engines efficiency by enabling the fuel to burn more throughly. You may want to check out these forums. www.hhoforums.com there are hundreds of people there who have had success and those who are still experimenting. Its a great place to go if you want to learn more.
Prove it please......you can't because it can't be done.......sucker born every minute.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, CamperAndy, that was a form of humor known as sarcasm. I can calculate until my brain cramps (which doesn't take long) but I'm still gonna try it because there are a lot of factors involved in HHO production and use in diesel engines. If it doesn't give me any more mpg then at least I have a very cool torch to play with. Maybe I'll even blow myself up if I'm lucky. The world was flat at one point, man couldn't fly at another, and we couldn't go to the moon at yet another point. It wasn't, we did, and we did. Just gotta try it myself because my hobby of beer drinking doesn't help my mpg either. I've been keeping pretty consistent mileage records and know that I will never get above 18.7mpg during mixed driving. My best ever was an even 20mpg doing 65mph over 500+ miles. If I get over this then I will call HHO a success. If not, then I'm just another sucker. Cheers....
Old 02-18-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hho

Originally Posted by Stratous
You are wrong carl48, I currently am running a self made hho unit in my 2006 cummins truck. With 1.5 liters per minute, my MPG went from 17.7 to 24.3 in town. Most people think of the addition of HHO incorrectly. Its not intended to replace your fuel, its purpose is to increase the engines efficiency by enabling the fuel to burn more throughly. You may want to check out these forums. www.hhoforums.com there are hundreds of people there who have had success and those who are still experimenting. Its a great place to go if you want to learn more.
new to the form I have a Dodge 05 diesel I built two generators from water4gas it's not working my onboard computer went from 9.9 99.9 I hooked the pipe into air cleaner I would like to hear from you thank you
Old 02-20-2009, 08:05 PM

It's not about replacing the fuel. It's about getting the fuel to burn more completely. Why does adding a n2o system to a truck add power.....n2o is not flamable.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flatline racing
It's not about replacing the fuel. It's about getting the fuel to burn more completely. Why does adding a n2o system to a truck add power.....n2o is not flamable.
NOX is an oxidizer and increases the oxygen content of the air charge, thus this lets you add more fuel to make more power.

Now if the truck had to make its own then it also would be a waste of time as the losses in production of the gas would consume the extra HP made.

and to quote you from another post. You may want to think before you type so that you do not show how little you know. (I cleaned it up some compared to what you wrote)
Old 02-21-2009, 11:06 AM

Camper
I know what n2o is and what it does. Take a truck that smokes like a coal train, don't do anything other than add n2o. Instant power, smoke goes away if you add enough n2o or anything else that carries oxygen.
Getting the fuel to burn a little better will far outweigh the hp required to run the alternator.
As far as thinking before I type......what is not true about the previous post? (btw, the post you are referring to was out of line.)
Old 02-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

Flatline - Energy is forever, it is neither made nor lost. It just changes state from potential to kinetic or to heat (which itself is another form of potential energy). The chemical process to make NOx or HHO requires kinetic energy to be used. If the NOx or HHO components are made at your house and stored in a bottle (potential energy) then used in the truck you get an the appearance of free power but it took energy at home to make the substance that you used in the truck to have it make more power.

If the process were done on your truck then you would have to use energy to make the process happen and the net gain would be ZERO as it is a closed system. If there were any other result it would become perpetual motion as any gain that exceeds the energy used would be additive and at some point would then be self propagating. Not going to happen.

But if you think it will work I have a coldfusion generator that you could buy cheap.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:46 PM

How cheap? You also have a perpetual motion device.?????
I fully agree, energy goes from one state to another.
Does this hho generator work.....absolutley. Will it power the next gereration of cars.........not a chance. Will it boost mileage to 50+........I was born in the morning, but not this morning. I do know that there is a gain to be had in getting a more complete burn of the fuel we are useing. (gas or diesel) It's not even close to 100%, then heat goes here, there, and everywhere.
I have not tried this as of yet, been thinking of it. I do think it will get a more complete burn of the fuel. (it has to) What happens when the timing of the combustion changes. Too far advanced it will kill power (better burn though).
I think it is a very good idea, if you can control the ignition. Thats why Edge, Banks, BullyDog, ect. advance timing. (more complete burn) Too far is a very bad thing though. (with HHO, where is it at???, more than likely too far advanced, then you add the toys we play with to advance the timing....not a good deal under load)
Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 PM

Don't want to hijack this tread, but it is about HHO and if it works. CamperAndy is a very smart man that says it won't. I on the other had am an idoit that says it will, (under the right conditions). I think we both want to better the knowledge of everyone on the forum. (be it good or bad).
Old 02-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Banned

The saying that, "If a thing sounds too good to be true then it most likely is not true", holds true for HHO.

You may try and try but you will be frustrated in the end. There are plenty of smart guys that want this to work and have tried to make it work but they have to date not been successful. I am not talking about some huckster trying to sell an HHO system or some of the guys on here that swear it gave them 10 or 20% increase in mpg. I am referring to real engineers and scientist that have tried.

You will be a rich man if you can figure out the right conditions. Good Luck.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 PM

I will share my millions with everyone when I get it figured out. (don't hold your breath, I'm not)
If you want something that is unreal???????? read up on nitro-methane. That stuff is plain nasty. First hand experience with it, you have to respect the stuff. There are lots of snake oils out there. Which do you use?