24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hyd. clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hyd. clutch

Hey guys, new to both CTD and your site. Have a clutch question. Sometimes while in gear and clutch pedal depressed (like sitting at a stop light), the clutch seems like it will slowly lose fluid pressure and start to engage, making it impossible at that point to get out of gear. Only options are to release pedal and go, or shut off engine. Dont see any leaks in clutch hyd. system and reservoir is full and fluid is clean. Will a simple bleeding solve this and if so, how did the air get in there in the first place? Thanks for your help. Great site>
Old 11-24-2002, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Hyd. clutch

Warning!!!<br><br><br>Your Slave Cyl. or Master Cyl is leaking past the seal.<br><br>I have been there done that and lost the clutch pedal pressure about a month later almost hitting someone.<br><br>Don't I say Don't put it off It will get someone killed I went to push the pedal down and it wasn't there as the pedal went to the floor.<br><br>Go to the Dealer and spend the $160 to get the parts and fix it before someone gets hurt! PLEASE!!!<br><br>Sorry to be blunt but the car I almost hit had a little one in the back seat and I have one of my own just scared the out of me
Old 11-25-2002, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Sounds like the piston in your slave cylinder may be leaking back into the reservoir. Need to get that fixed soon, it will just get worse.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:32 PM

Thanks guys. One more question. Is the slave cylinder internal or external? Haven't climbed under it yet (just bought it) 01 HO 6-speed. Hopefully dont have to pull the tranny to get to it. Once again, thanks alot, Great site!
Old 11-27-2002, 03:05 AM

Your slave cylinder isn't leaking if you can't see fluid dripping from the bell housing. It's fluid leaking past the front seal to the middle chamber of the piston in the master cylinder. The fluid gets returned to the tank. You'll see no leaks because of the rear master piston seal. <br><br>If you listen close, you'll actually be able to hear it leaking.<br><br>Don't go to Dodge for a new cylinder because they only sell the whole hydralic system as an assembly, and it's quite costly.<br><br>
Old 11-27-2002, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Your slave cylinder is external to the trans (at least on my 99 it is). If you start at the clutch reservoir up on the firewall and follow that hose down, it will be there at the other end of the hose. That's the best way I can describe how to find it. You should be able to change it and bleed it in half an hour or so.

Welcome to the site.