24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How often do you change your fuel filter/water seperator

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Mike, is the Fass plumbed inline with a in tank pump still in place? if so that is something to look at. Those folks that have in tank pumps and choose to put the FASS downstream are just waiting for the in tank pump to fail and ruin the FASS as well.

Make sure it is installed properly with a draw straw or other setup that excludes the in tank pump Some guys get lazy installing them and don't do it right causing a big obstruction when it fails.
My shade tree mechanic says that it doesn't have a in tank pump.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mike compton
My shade tree mechanic says that it doesn't have a in tank pump.
But I did drive it a few days without a prefilter ...don't know if some trash could have gotten in...but don't seem like it would take 10 months to damage it
Old 05-04-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Running the tank low will allow more chance to suck up debris. The factory non intank basket pick up has a screen as does the intank unit....this usually helps keep grunge away from the pick up.

Ask your shadetree wrench if he dropped the tank to ensure you aren't running thru an in tank pump...you can't tell by looking from the outside.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Running the tank low will allow more chance to suck up debris. The factory non intank basket pick up has a screen as does the intank unit....this usually helps keep grunge away from the pick up.

Ask your shadetree wrench if he dropped the tank to ensure you aren't running thru an in tank pump...you can't tell by looking from the outside.
So if I have a carter lift pump under the hood there's a chance I could have a in tank pump too?
Old 05-06-2016, 08:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not necessarily. When my stock went the replacement was a Carter, when that started making funny noises I put in a frame mounted FASS (pump only cuz I was low on $$) I never had a tank pump. I've had the FASS now for well over 10 yrs with no problems.
Bottom line if the pump is still mounted on the engine . . GET IT OFF THERE!
The heat and vibration don't play well with the pump.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
Not necessarily. When my stock went the replacement was a Carter, when that started making funny noises I put in a frame mounted FASS (pump only cuz I was low on $$) I never had a tank pump. I've had the FASS now for well over 10 yrs with no problems.
Bottom line if the pump is still mounted on the engine . . GET IT OFF THERE!
The heat and vibration don't play well with the pump.
Thats where my fass 150 is mounted... In the place of the factory lift pump...dang!...that makes sense. Thanks
Old 05-13-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a Raptor lift pump installed on the frame rail and continued to use the factory filter/water separator. One day out of town on the highway I lost lift pressure and found a thimble sized screen /filter on the intake of the lift pump.

I'll let you guess what I did with the screen that was clogged up with a tiny amount of crap when I was broke down on the side of the road.

I have since changed to a full pump, filter and water separator system.

I'd pitch the screen on the intake of the pump.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Crallscars
I had a Raptor lift pump installed on the frame rail and continued to use the factory filter/water separator. One day out of town on the highway I lost lift pressure and found a thimble sized screen /filter on the intake of the lift pump.

I'll let you guess what I did with the screen that was clogged up with a tiny amount of crap when I was broke down on the side of the road.

I have since changed to a full pump, filter and water separator system.

I'd pitch the screen on the intake of the pump.
Thanks bro👍