24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How long can you drive on a bad VP44?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long can you drive on a bad VP44?

Well I can'tafford to have the truck down for a while right now (I gotta get to work). I will ahve a week off in a month, and I can yank the pump then. Here is my scenario. The codes just came up, and I had the dead pedal. I cycled the APPs, and everything seems to be fine for a while, but then the codes come up again. It drives fine. The FP is reading OK (14 idle, 8 WOT). Can I drive on my pumpfor a while?

What happens if the pump just dies. What else will get ruined as a result?

Thanks
dIma
Old 05-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the pump dies? I think you might want to keep a tow trucks number handy. As far as I know nothing else will be harmed. I've read some where that guys have driven for a good bit while having codes. I guess it's a crap shoot. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2005, 03:34 PM

just a stupid question:

the lift pump can go bad w/o throwing codes?
Old 05-10-2005, 04:19 PM

No, I have the code... but I think I will keep driving it unti I can afford to fix it and have the time to keep the truck down.

DIma
Old 05-10-2005, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by darrenG
just a stupid question:

the lift pump can go bad w/o throwing codes?
lift pump? usually it goes bad without a code, but sometimes the low fuel pressure at the VP44 inlet will throw one. dont bet on it, just get a fuel pressure gauge to monitor.

if you meant the injection pump (VP44) going bad without a code, im sure it has happened but it seems the death code shows up first.

Pat

ps-no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers
Old 05-10-2005, 07:17 PM

Most of them die quick. Mine, well, it is now over 5,000 miles since the dead peddle and codes started. Codes are gone and it seems to be fine!! I know, it is going to die when I need it the most, like out of state pulling a trailer.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:17 PM

Mine ran like a new one, til I went off a freeway exit. At the bottom there was nothing but idle.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:46 AM

I've heard a few stories about a few VP44's dieing without throwing a code. (Very Rare!) But normally you will get the dreaded P0216 code and a dead pedal. I've heard of a few here driving on a dieing VP44... How long??? I don't know...

With good fuel pressure you might be able to hang in there...
Old 05-11-2005, 11:00 AM

Bought truck with 44,000 miles. First long trip engine light came on at Klamath Falls. Dealer said watch oil and temp gauges and drive it - it will probably reset. 2nd long trip at the same place in Klamath Falls light back on! Very bad juju! Only symptom was fuel mileage, 13 mpg on highway at 70 + or -. Found this site on the internet and was able to check codes with injection pump timing failure showing up. The dealer warrantied the vp44 and the lift pump without problem at 54,000 miles. The point is I probably would have driven it until it failed probably 500 miles away from home!! THANKS TO ALL ON THIS SITE FOR ALL THE INFO.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:51 AM

FWIW my VP died without ever setting a code. Driving along and suddenly nothing. Tow truck time! Had hard starting issues for months before hand. Guess that was my warning.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:12 PM

I don't ahve a hard starting issue, and i don't have bad FP. Actually everything is fine. I do get dead pedal only when the truck is cold. Once the truck warms up, everything is fine. I will deal with it for a few months, ar at least until I can swing the cost of a new one.

dIma
Old 05-11-2005, 05:10 PM

Flatty, I have been driving mine with a 0216 code now for over 50K miles. Mine is out of warranty and I am gonna see how far it goes. I know not to jump out into fast moving traffic (dead Pedal syndrome) and have learned that if you do net to get moving really fast to cycle the ignition switch off/on and the VP will kick in like a scalded ape. As far as hurting anything, all the VP does is deliver fuel, so no fuel, truck stops running and you call your local tow truck. Damage done at that point is 1300 buck pump and a 65 dollar tow bill.

Good luck,

Gary
Old 05-11-2005, 07:20 PM

I kept getting a 0216 code for about 3 months(6000miles). I drove to Utah and back to Ca. with it.
It kept getting harder and harder to start. When I finally took it in the dealer didnt have as much patients as I did. they never got it started, just replaced the pump.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:55 PM

Mine acted up for over 100,000 miles before it died. They always go when you need them most. I had a bad feeling about it and turned down a trip to Wisconsin. Glad I did, it died in the garage the next week. That would have been an expensive tow and repair bill. The new one had already been shipped when the old one died. Truck really runs better with the new one, all those crazy symptoms are gone. Guess it was pretty good, lasted about 285,000 miles. Hope the new one does as good.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Banned

I bought my truck with 40k unknowing it already had the 0216 code...today i am over 55,000 HARD miles, 9-1/4 mile track passes, many illegal 100mph runs , and even adding a set off dd3 injectors, and even adding a box (van aaken v5) and tho it now routine to get a dead pedal multiple times in a single run to the store...i still drive it and will wait for it to die before I replace it. i will have a fight on my hands when its time for the dealer to do my repairs as my truck was chipped with a comp box at one time with the wire tapped.

when i go in for service work, i will fight with them because they sold me the truck with the remaining warranty in the condition as is and its their fault for not telling me my warranty would be void. i know its only a few weeks away now before she dies because the dead pedal happens every time i leave work in the afternoon and the temps are over 70 degrees...i have to turn it off, restart the truck and it will run fine. good luck with your pump as i will be having a blast with mine

Quick Reply: How long can you drive on a bad VP44?