24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How hard to replace front output shaft seal on Transfer Case?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 09:57 AM
DEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard to replace front output shaft seal on Transfer Case?

Hi all,

I've got a bad seal on my front output shaft on my NV241HD transfer case. The manual indicates that I need two special tools to replace the seal, so I'm hesitant to try to do it myself. It also indicates that the companion flange is held on by a disposable nut that is torqued to 120 ft.-lbs. Can I get this thing off with a torque wrench? What holds the shaft as I try to turn the nut...the transmission? Can I get the companion flange off the shaft without a puller of some sort?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dan

98 2500 Cummins. Pretty much stock. 90k miles.

Old 09-26-2003, 07:26 PM
Banned

Re:How hard to replace front output shaft seal on Transfer Case?

are ya talkin about where the front drive shaft hooks up to the case ??
Old 09-26-2003, 09:41 PM

near as I can tell no special tools are needed. I wouldn't use my torq wrench for removal, only for installing. Use a slightly smaller socket to push new gaskets/seals in and the companion bolt is just like other bolts as far as I can tell. My books say it can be done and so does my eye ball glance. Gut says go for it but you decide. Good luck
Old 09-27-2003, 11:24 PM

books always tell you to use a "special tool" for seals. One's prolly a handle and the 2nd a mandrel that fits on the handle. pretty simple tools. Universal seal driving kits can be had from the likes of Lisle or you can do the socket thing etc.

And torque wrenches are for torquing...not breaking loose. As far as disposable nut...well...if it says so..I'd prolly replace the nut.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:47 AM
DEC

Thanks for all the replies. To clarify my original post, I'm referring to the seal where the front driveshaft attaches to the transfer case. I just dropped the truck off at the dealer to let them do it since they can do it for about $150, which is within reason and will give me time to do something besides work on the truck. My wife and neighbors will be relieved.

Good tip on driving the seal. I will look into buying a seal driving kit as I don't think I have a socket anywhere near big enough to drive these seals. Should come in handy when I attack the rear drive seal seal shaft down the road.

Also a good tip about not using a torque wrench to get nuts off. I don't own an impact wrench, so I often end up using the hammer on the end of the socket wrench handle method. I guess I need to break down and buy a cheater bar.

Thanks again for all your help. These boards (and the people on them) are great!

Dan