24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How Do I change the Rear Diff Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Do I change the Rear Diff Oil

Hey lads I wanna check the rear diff in my truck. Can anyone point me to a guide or walk me through it. Also can you please let me know which fluid to use and how much?
Old 06-20-2003, 08:27 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re:How Do I change the Rear Diff Oil

If you wanna CHANGE it....you have to take the diff cover off and let all the oil drain out (just remove the 10-12 bolts holding the cover on).....put a new gasket on it and put the cover back on. Then on the front side of the diff there's a plug you can unscrew...that's where you fill it up. Pretty simple really. If all you wanna do is add some oil then just take out that plug and pour it in until you reach the desired level.

Go here and there's some more info to help answer the rest of your question.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Well someone may chime in with a different answer but here is my take. To check level remove fill cap stick in finger, should be within about 1/4 below fill hole. To change (assumming you have stock cover) loosen bolts from cover. Take large screwdriver and try and pop open the bottom of the cover by placing screwdriver between cover edge and housing. May take a hit with a rubber mallet or hammer. Be careful as you dont want to mar the housing sealing area. Let drain down then remove bolts and pull cover. More will drain, I even stick my fingers in there and try and pull out what little remains. You can use a new gasket or permatex to seal it back up. I use a wire brush on a drill to clean off all the old gasket material, place a shop rag or towel over the open case, hold the drill so that the wire brush is spinning towards the outside of the case (so that the debris gets thrown away from the case instead of into the housing). remove shop rag inspect for debris if any. Reinstall cover (I clean the inside of the cover by wiping it out with paper towels or shop rag) with a new gasket or permatex. Fill with fluid of your choice. I personally use amsoil synthetic series 2000 75w-140 but there are many fine fluids out there. Fill to approx 1/4 inch below fill hole. Didn't notice which rear end you have but I think mine stock took around 5 quarts I have a dana 70. (I may be wrong on quanity haven't had a stock cover for several years and the mag hytec cover takes 6+ quarts).
Old 06-20-2003, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jamie, <br>Yep what barry said. Mine had no gasket, I used permatex black, no leaks. You may want to jack up each side of the rear, one end at a time to make sure yo get the axles drained. After filling to within 1/2&quot; +/- 1/4&quot;, of the drain hole, drive her around and do some figure 8&quot;s. Then check level again to make sure your topped of.<br>I filled my Dana 80, with almost 4 quarts of Royal Purple 75/140. Added no friction modifier, and had no chatter. Lot's of different reports on the friction modifier. I think it depends on how tight your lsd clutch packs are. My were prolly gone already.<br>HTH JMHO
Old 06-20-2003, 09:21 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow...I guess I oversimplified the procedure. [undecided]<br><br>What they said... ;D