24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How to bleed fuel lines after changing fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to bleed fuel lines after changing fuel filter

Can anyone explain the process of bleeding the air from the fuel lines after changing the fuel filter on a 2002 CTD? I am hesitant to perform this maintenance and not be able to start my truck. Advise is appreciated. ???
Old 11-29-2002, 03:06 PM

Re:How to bleed fuel lines after changing fuel filter

It's not hard. Change the filter. Then turn the key on and bump the starter. DO NOT START THE TRUCK. Just bump the starter and you'll hear the lift pump run for 30-45 seconds. When it stops running, turn the key off, back on and bump the starter a second time. DON'T START THE TRUCK. When it stops running this time, you should start the truck with no problem. Some do this three times to be good and safe. Any air in the filter is purged by doing this.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:23 PM

Just do it the Easy way like I do. After fuel filter has been removed and any sedement in bottom of cannister, before installing new filter just fill the cannister back up about 3/4 way with clean fuel, then drop in filter tighten down and you won't even know you did anything, starts up instantly.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the information. <br><br>A Dodge diesel mechanic told me that I would need to &quot;crack&quot; 3 or 4 of the fuel lines going into the head and turnover the engine until fuel &quot;leaked&quot; from the lines which would indicate that the air had been bled.<br><br>It sounds like your method doesn't even require this procedure. True???<br>
Old 11-29-2002, 07:04 PM
DPG

Debolton:<br><br>Sounds like your Dodge mechanic was trying to drum up more work for himself. I've changed my fuel filter several times, and I'm no mechanic. I use the &quot;bump the starter&quot; method, usually three times. Sometimes I have to crank for a few seconds before it fires up, but it has always fired up. I've never had to crack an injector line. Changing the fuel filter can be messy, but it can save you some money. And gives you the satisfaction that you did the job yourself, and you know that it was done right. Anyway, that's how it makes me feel <br><br>Good Luck!<br>DeWain
Old 11-29-2002, 07:13 PM

[quote author=debolton link=board=4;threadid=7681;start=0#73715 date=1038609097]<br>Thanks for the information. <br><br>A Dodge diesel mechanic told me that I would need to &quot;crack&quot; 3 or 4 of the fuel lines going into the head and turnover the engine until fuel &quot;leaked&quot; from the lines which would indicate that the air had been bled.<br><br>It sounds like your method doesn't even require this procedure. True??? <br><br><br><br> Doing the above will cause you problems, don't do it.<br><br>[/quote]
Old 11-29-2002, 09:24 PM

[quote author=debolton link=board=4;threadid=7681;start=0#73715 date=1038609097]<br>Thanks for the information. <br><br>It sounds like your method doesn't even require this procedure. True???<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>TRUE <br> just change the filter, and bump the starter to kick the pump on for 30 seconds at a time,.. i turn the key off for a few seconds during intervals, and have no problems at all<br><br>HTH<br>BRYAN
Old 11-30-2002, 07:44 AM

I, like you, was very hesitant to do this maintenance step. Had fears of never getting the truck started again, having to crack lines and whatever. Well, I fell into a crowd of CTD owners who willingly help others. This job is easier than changing oil filters. (Well, almost) Pop the top with a 1 1/8 socket (don't use the smaller hole, you might crack the top and you don't want to know how much that puppy costs), remove the filter, examine the bottom of the filter canister, insert new filter per instructions, replace top. Chuck 3 says add diesel before putting on top. Slight variation, we didn't. Instead we did the pump trick 5 times. Truck started up just like new. I've done this for a filter change and once for a Banjo bolt changeout. We bled down the filter to prevent the possibility of spilling fuel on the grassy area. Primed the filter back up with the 5 times trick. Not a problem. Can you say Vroooom, Vrooom? Hey, I'm mechanically challenged and have no problem doing this unassisted. Just think of the money you'll be saving. Be sure to use a Fleetguard filter from your nearest Cummins dealer or many online sources. Don't cheap out on the filter, besides it not that expensive.<br><br>~Dave
Old 11-30-2002, 08:40 AM

[quote author=NWDave link=board=4;threadid=7681;start=0#73875 date=1038663865]<br>I, like you, was very hesitant to do this maintenance step. Had fears of never getting the truck started again, having to crack lines and whatever. Well, I fell into a crowd of CTD owners who willingly help others. This job is easier than changing oil filters. (Well, almost) Pop the top with a 1 1/8 socket (don't use the smaller hole, you might crack the top and you don't want to know how much that puppy costs), remove the filter, examine the bottom of the filter canister, insert new filter per instructions, replace top. Chuck 3 says add diesel before putting on top. Slight variation, we didn't. Instead we did the pump trick 5 times. Truck started up just like new. I've done this for a filter change and once for a Banjo bolt changeout. We bled down the filter to prevent the possibility of spilling fuel on the grassy area. Primed the filter back up with the 5 times trick. Not a problem. Can you say Vroooom, Vrooom? Hey, I'm mechanically challenged and have no problem doing this unassisted. Just think of the money you'll be saving. Be sure to use a Fleetguard filter from your nearest Cummins dealer or many online sources. Don't cheap out on the filter, besides it not that expensive.<br><br>~Dave<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Dave,<br><br>Thanks a lot for the helpful info. ; DI was really concerned about having to &quot;crack&quot; the fuel lines on my truck. The Dodge mechanic explained the &quot;cracking&quot; process to me in the dealership parking lot. He said that if you don't do it EXACTLY like he explained the &quot;truck would not start&quot;. He said that many people have run their batteries completely dead and had to tow their vehicles into the dealership.<br><br>I usually get my filters (fuel and oil) from the Dodge dealer. I'll look for Fleetguard filters on the internet if they are cheaper in price and high quality.<br><br>Thanks Again, ;D ;D ;D<br>David B.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:31 AM

When you do an internet search for prices on filters, check out www.genosgarage.com. They sell Fleetguard stratapore 4/2/1 kits for about $75US. Also, install a post filter fuel pressure guage and watch it while you 'bump' the starter. It will show pressure when the lines are purged of air and help you watch the condition of your lift pump.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:17 PM

[quote author=JKlender link=board=4;threadid=7681;start=0#73904 date=1038673872]<br>When you do an internet search for prices on filters, check out www.genosgarage.com. They sell Fleetguard stratapore 4/2/1 kits for about $75US. Also, install a post filter fuel pressure guage and watch it while you 'bump' the starter. It will show pressure when the lines are purged of air and help you watch the condition of your lift pump.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks for the advise. I will check out genos!!!<br><br>How difficult is the &quot;post filter fuel pressure gauge&quot; to install?<br>Does Geno's sell this item?<br><br>Thanks, ;D<br>David B.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:20 PM

Geno's and others sell guages. I bought a combination EGT/FP guage straight from Westach for about $180US. But depends on whether you want to go mechanical, digital, or analog. Geno's does sell a banjo bolt kit that you can replace your original banjo bolt on the bottom of your fuel filter. It has a tapped 1/8&quot; NPT port for your sender. I put about 18&quot; of 1/4&quot; fuel line from there to a small brass shutoff valve, and mounted my fuel sender on the end of this. There are lots of ways to do it. Do a search on 'guage' or maybe 'pressure guage' and you should find lots of suggestions on guage types and mounting suggestions.
Old 11-30-2002, 07:17 PM

Don't forget to check out this sites sponsors. We have a couple- three of fine ones who also sell gauges and accessories. I can speak for Wildcat Diesel as being an excellent source. I'm just a satisfied customer, not directly associated with Rod and gang.<br><br>~Dave
Old 03-12-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I am having a heck of a time purging the air out of the system when I change the fuel filter. I tried the bump method several times with no results. I then removed both 1/4 NPT brass plugs on top of the filter canister and poured clean fuel in the center one until until it overflowed out the outside one. I have always had to crank the heck out of her to get the air out of the system. I guess I could add fuel to the canister before I put it back togeather, but I'm concerned about contamination pushing it down to get it underneath the top of the canister. Any ideas guys?

Update: I had a lift pump going out. I replaced it and everything is good to go. Presure all the time when the engine is running.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Geico266
I am having a heck of a time purging the air out of the system when I change the fuel filter. I tried the bump method serveral times with no results. I then removed both 1/4 NPT brass pluges on top of the filter canister and poured clean fuel in the center one until until it overflowed out the outside one. I have always had to crank the heck out of her to get the air out of the system. I guess I could add fuel to the canister before I put it back togeather, but I'm concerned about contamination pushing it down to get it underneath the top of the canister.

How's your fuel supply pressure? A bad lift pump can cause the symptoms you describe. We changed the fuel filter on one individual's truck, discovered he had a bad lift pump and had to pressurize the fuel tank with compressed air to get the thing lit off!

Rusty

Quick Reply: How to bleed fuel lines after changing fuel filter