24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

how to bleed fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to bleed fuel?

code 1693 means?
I installed the hose from Geno's Garage for going to the fuel pressure sensor, at the fuel pump by removing the schraeder valve. Now I can't get it to run. I have cracked as many lines at the head as I can get, 5 out of 6, got fuel out of them. Ran the lift pump(?) I think, at least here is a whirring noise for about 15 seconds after turning off. I ran this a lot. I removed the hose and re-installed the schraeder valve and off course a bit of fuel ran out of the injection pump again.

2000 4x4 cummins 5 speed.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
The 1693 code is a companion code which means that there is/may be another code in the system you're not seeing. If the problem goes away then so will the code.

I'm guessing you mean the VP (injection pump) when you say "fuel pump". And it sounds like you removed the shradder valve at the VP fuel inlet banjo. You also said that you can hear the lift pump (which is the actual fuel pump) run for about 15 seconds but no fuel is coming out. That to me means that the lift pump is bad. The OEM lift pump impeller has been known to separate from the pump shaft which means the electric motor is still working but nothings pumping. There will be no point in cracking any injector lines if you're not getting fuel supplied to the VP. Also, to point out, there is a tapped banjo bolt you can purchase which replaces the fuel filter housings outlet banjo. Thats a better location to read from than tapping directly into the VP.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As he said just because you hear the low pressure fuel pump doesn't mean it's pumping fuel. Crack the line at the VP, and check for fuel coming from the low pressure pump.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:51 PM

I did the same mod awhile back. Turn the key on and bump the starter but not enough to startand leave the key on. It will trigger the pump to run longer, about 30 seconds. Crack the line at the VP to bleed it of air. You may have to pump the thing several times to get it to bleed, but you will finally see fuel without the big air. Then tighten it up and run it again a time or two. Then it should start but it will be rough for a couple minutes. It's a pain in the butt . But if you're still running the stock lift pump change it out. It won't put out enough pressure to lube the VP well. I had a new oem put in and it put out 3 psi, Changed to a FASS and it puts out 16 psi.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 PM

Looks like I did not explain the lift pump working right? It is pushing fuel, pretty good I think, it squirted a nice 2 foot arc over the engine when I blip'd it on. Today I also pulled the filter out and ran the lift pump and it filled the bowl. Then I did the VP44 bypass test and still no engine run. So, I am pretty sure that the 44 is dead or stopped at a dead spot. Thinking about getting a new pump from Blue Chip Diesel, but his prices are significantly higher than what I can get locally, plus I would still have to add shipping from east coast to AK.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by coldtaco
Looks like I did not explain the lift pump working right? It is pushing fuel, pretty good I think, it squirted a nice 2 foot arc over the engine when I blip'd it on. Today I also pulled the filter out and ran the lift pump and it filled the bowl. Then I did the VP44 bypass test and still no engine run. So, I am pretty sure that the 44 is dead or stopped at a dead spot. Thinking about getting a new pump from Blue Chip Diesel, but his prices are significantly higher than what I can get locally, plus I would still have to add shipping from east coast to AK.
OK.....that definitely changes things. From what you just said, I'd say that your VP is no longer working. Is it the factory VP and how many miles were on it? Did you ever know your fuel pressures? Did the truck ever give you any signs of possible VP failure prior to this, like white smoke upon start up, dead pedal, or hard starting when the engine is hot? Also, yes, Chip is more expensive but his product is supposed to be superior.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the likelyhood that the pump gives up the min.you added sensor,very slim,these are hard to bleed.I always disconect heater grids and start it with eather.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by olddodgetrucks
What is the likelyhood that the pump gives up the min.you added sensor,very slim,these are hard to bleed.I always disconect heater grids and start it with eather.
I'm not sure why anyone feels that these systems are hard to bleed. I've never had any trouble.....even with the OEM lift pump. Whats the likelihood that the VP failed at that moment?.....well I cant say but when they do fail electronically then they simply stop working, and usually more than not the 1693 will be the code. Thats why I asked for some history. Simply put, if you have fuel to the VP and you're not getting a good amount of fuel coming out of cracked injector lines during cranking then more than likely the VP isn't pumping anything. If there was any other electrical issue or the fuel system relay/fuse was bad then you'd get a related code. Also, I'm hugely against starting with either. Not because of the potential damage if the grids aren't disconnected but that either has ZERO lubricating properties.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:04 AM

I'm new to the Cummins, been driving a Toyota diesel for the last 6 years or so. Always been wanting a Cummins. The truck has 208,000mi. on it. As far as I remember when looking through the maintenance records I did not see anything about replacing the 44. The lift pump was replaced about a month before I bought the truck. Supposedly it just up and died, instead of doing the slow death. Then was towed to Cummins shop and new lift pump installed. I have had a number of times where I had to crank it twice in the morning to get it started, usually when I did not have it plugged in or used the Espar to pre-heat. Then one time it did it when it was in the garage over night. It does seem odd that it would now die after I opened up the system and let air in. I have replaced the fuel filter about two weeks earlier and I did not even bleed it. It started right up. When I did the 44 bypass test I could hear what sounded like a solenoid clicking when power was on-off. I also get code 1688 and occasionally 1689 if I remember right.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 AM

Taco.....this is why Internet diagnosing is so hard.....and especially why I ask so many questions. Because guys usually unintentionally leave out many very important details when asking their question only to maybe have them throw in the conversation (or argument) a couple pages later.

Fortunately the two additional codes you're getting are both indications of a failed VP. P1688 Internal Fuel Injection Pump Controller Failure. P1689 No Communication Between ECM & Injection Pump Module. Maybe it is the factory VP with over 200,000 miles on it, which on a good note, would be impressive. One give away if its not the factory VP is it could be painted black, but all replacement VP's will have "remanufactured" on the tag.