24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

holding clutch in

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holding clutch in

Simple question here. So how long is considered "too long" for holding the clutch in? At stop lights, stop sign's ect.... I try not to push the cluth in too many times like putting it in neutral at a stop light, then pushing the clutch in again to get it in gear. I usually just keep it held in at the lights. Is this going to hurt anything?? ???
Old 01-03-2003, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:holding clutch in

I am sure that you will get several different opinions but I believe that you are doing it backwards. At a light if you are in neutral the clutch disk, input shaft, and flywheel are all locked together by the spring pressure of the pressure plate. When you push the clutch in you have pressure on the throwout bearing, the mainshaft is stopped and the flywheel is turning causing the pilot bearing to turn steadily. The weakest part of the stock system is the pilot bearing. They go bad and take the input shaft with them causing transmission work also. You are by far better off keeping your foot off the clutch pedel as much as possible, especially at lights, railroad crossings, etc. Also one of the worst things that you can do to a clutch is to hold the vehicle with the clutch on a slight incline.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:34 AM
Administrator

The pilot bearing does obviously turn with the clutch out, BUT, the flywheel, clutch. and input shaft are turning at the same RPM so no real rotating load is being carried by the pilot bearing. When the clutch is pushed in and disengages, that is when the input shaft stops turning and the pilot bearing picks up the rotating load at that point since the flywheel is still spinning.<br>I always take it out of gear and leave the clutch out at lights or such. Just habit from driving four, five, and ten speeds over the years. If you blow a hose or linkage or something with the thing setting there in gear, the next thing you know you're into the person in front of you or out in the middle of the intersection or something like that which is un-good.<br>Just my two copper pennies here.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:38 PM

I'm with DD on this one, that's how I've been driving my 99 since I bought it and I was able to milk my stock clutch for a year having over 300hp behind it. I think I must have been doing something right. <br><br>DB
Old 01-03-2003, 04:15 PM

I used to hold the clutch in so people wouldn't have to wait on me when the light changed. Now I anticipate and put it in gear just before the change so I'm ready. Clutch out in neutral is the way to go. Otherwise, one day you won't be able to get it in gear, at all with the engine running. Throw out bearing goes and it won't release.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:15 PM

I always have foot off clutch when stopped, and anticipate when to engage and drop into gear.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:32 AM
HC

I guess it's uanim... - unamimo... -- unamounamiz...<br>I guess we all agree.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Administrator

[quote author=HC link=board=4;threadid=9120;start=0#88173 date=1041665555]
I guess it's uanim... - unamimo... -- unamounamiz...
I guess we all agree.
[/quote]

Yeah, what he said, unanananiniminiousity.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:47 PM

Thats what I was thinking. The only thing that I was allways woried about was pushing the pedal in too many times. I figgured that it might cause too much stress on the hydrulic lines, and bearing and stuff. I USED to leave it in neutral at lights, so I guess that I will start doing that again if thats what it better. Thanks guys
Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM

I've changed a lotta clutches and related parts, more oft than not the reason I'm in there may not be the clutch disc though. Many times it's a throw-out brg, fork, or pressure plate finger wear from clutch pedal being down. Usally change the disc when I'm in there even so. I vote for keepin the foot off the pedal as much as possible.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:54 PM

Hello
Let the clutch out when sitting at a light or what ever and save the throw out bearing.

Here is my me game I play.
When cars get to close to me at stop lights or beep their horn at me for not moving fast enough for them off the light. I do this. I get the truck rolling in 1st gear and then jump to 3 rd and mash the go pedal and smoke the H&amp;!! out of them. :-X ;D :-X Hey it works for me ;D I have also been know to drive through the mall parking lot at about 15/1800 in low gear to see how many car alarms I can set off. ;D I only have a little six cylinder in my truck w an EZ box, DDII injectors and 4 inch straight piped exhaust.
See Ya
Chris