24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

high tranny temp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high tranny temp?

i got to 250degrees pulling 7000lbs yesterday.so then i drove it empty after about 10 miles it got to 200degrees.so then today i put a hayden 26000lbs cooler on it and it still gets to 185degrees after about 10 miles.it shifts good and drives good but it gets hot.i checked the flow and it is fine.the fluid is red and doesnt smell bad.the tranny cooler gets hot in and out.what could be causing this?the longer i drive the hotter it gets.i have had many trucks with gauges and i never ran into this. thanks
Old 05-25-2004, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That seems high allright, I have the same truck without the EZ and the temp reading from the outlet line rarely goes over 160 unless doing stop and go then once up to speed and converter locked up it quickly goes back down. Im not a trans expert except at breaking them, but it may be the TC not locking up causing the excess heat?
Old 05-25-2004, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think if the tq lockup clutch were slipping at all he would definately have a "shudder" condition under load. Have you dropped the pan and checked for debris? Your symptoms sound like a cooler partially plugged, which is usually a sign of clutches failing. my .02
Old 05-25-2004, 11:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First, where are you measuring the temp from? It makes a difference.

Chris
Old 05-26-2004, 08:01 AM

Interesting... I pegged my temp gauge (250°) yesterday pulling my buddies boat out of the Detroit River. I was wondering why it was running so hot. It was a cool 63° outside and it was pretty much just back in and pull her out... she is a big boat and all, somewhere near the 12K marker, but it just seemed to peg awfully quick. Driving it back to the shop, it only dropped down to around 220° or so... I am running Amsoil fluid in there, maybe it's time to look for something else....

Tony

FYI - Mines being measured on the hot line coming out of the converter. I do have a Mag Hytec DD pan, I wonder what the temps were in there?? Maybe I should get another tranny gauge...
Old 05-26-2004, 09:03 AM

dvp98.5 & TPilaske,

I thought I would through a dirty radiator into the mix of possibilities. Both of your trucks, like mine, have had enough road time to collect dirt onto the cooling fins of the rad aided by the oily mist from the breather mounted in front of the engine.

My truck was doing the same as both of yours and after reading about overheating on this forum, I discovered a perfect circle of dirt and film the same circumference as the fan blade.

The film/dirt is visiable between the 2 large rad's just forward of the fan. I soaked mine with Simple Greeen and Gunk foam and cleaned it with a power washer. My temps went from 200* plus down to 160~170*.

Just trying to keep it simple.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:00 AM

Great idea! I'll give that a shot this weekend...

Thanks,

Tony
Old 05-26-2004, 07:28 PM

when you guys figure it out i want to know too,does your engine temp go up with the trans temps? ive got a simular problem too
Old 05-26-2004, 10:11 PM

are you guys sure your guage is correct?have you tried a different guage or sender?just a thought....bama
Old 05-26-2004, 10:26 PM

Where is everyone measuring their temps? Where is the sending unit installed?

Chris
Old 05-27-2004, 07:26 AM

Mines measured coming right out of the converter (got the dodge replacement line w/ the port)... I noticed just tooling around yesterday in normal traffic that it was up over 150°, which it used to stay below that for just normal driving... I'm going to get into it this weekend and see what the malfunction is... might even pickup another tranny gauge and put that on the pan to see what the difference is...

Tony
Old 05-27-2004, 09:26 PM

If you are measuring in the hot pipe, like TPilaske, you will see a wide range of temps, but they aren't an accurate measurement of the entire tranny's temp. What you are seeing it the hottest that fluid gets. In my opinion, I'd liek to know the hottes it gets, so I measure in the hot line, but I do not worry about it if it hits 250. In traffic mine will hit 210 easy, and it's an ATS tranny. It quickly drops to 160 after the TC locks up. I have been told by ATS not to worry about the hot line hitting 250. If it gets to 300, start to worry.
If you notice your temp is hotter now than it used to, and you are putting the same load on the tranny, under the same conditions, you should look for a problem.

Chris
Old 05-27-2004, 09:52 PM

on the ford i have there is a checkball in the return line port in the tranny.so i removed it and problem solved.no more high temps,now it runs no more tha 160.so maybe you can keep this in mind,if anyone else runs into this.i dont know if dodge has this or not. thanks
Old 05-28-2004, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dvp

All Dodge Autos have a Check Valve also. Common on all makes of factory transmissions to hold fluid in tranny for next start up, and they do restrict fluid flow. All DTT trannys have the check valve removed for that reason. Need to idle for 30-60 sec on first start up @ day - to refill tranny lines, but small price to pay for better flow and much cooler temps!
Rowland
Old 05-29-2004, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it possible that your truck is not acheiving lock up?

Quick Reply: high tranny temp?