24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

High speed 4WD operation

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High speed 4WD operation

So I got this nifty little stick poking outta the floor, but I have't really tried it yet. Too busy this year for off-roading, and purchased it too late to use in a serious snowstorm last winter. But, the storms are coming soon, so I got a question. How fast and how long can I drive in 4WD? I do 35 miles one way on an interstate, so can I do..say 45-50 in 4WD provided conditions permit?

PS. In case you're getting ready to say it, I've already heard from the wife. "You shouldn't be doing 45-50 in the snow!" :..... ...and I run with scissors too..
Old 11-20-2002, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:High speed 4WD operation

<br>and I run with scissors too..<br>
<br><br>I don't know the answer to your question, but that's pretty funny.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:57 PM

I was in Florida and hit a big rain storm on the interstate and ran in high at around 50 or so it diddnt seem to bother it at all.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Anything faster than 50 and you shouldn't need 4 wheel anyway, but.

Different animal, but my Toyota Tacoma I did up to 60 mph.in snow, no problem (very deserted highway, snowpacked), similiar shift on the fly system.
Once, after a shooting excursion, forgot to take it out of 4-HI, drove 50 miles on dry summer freeway, 75 mph, looked down and saw that indicator all lighted up and almost messed myself, but no damage was done.
There was a placard on the visor about not going over 50 in 4wheel drive.

Check the owners manual, I think I remember something about keeping it under 50 with 4wheel on, maybe even something about duration as well.

[edit] Checked manual, and it only says that you can shift between 2HI and 4HI up to 55mph, so that would lead me to believe you can go 55 in 4HI.

phox
Old 11-20-2002, 09:26 PM

I was just going to say that phox, but you beat me to it. And you're right Commatoze, shouldn't be going faster than that in snow anyway.<br><br>I run with scissors too. My sister is the one that plays well with others.<br><br>-SFB
Old 11-21-2002, 03:17 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

I do run mine up to 80 mph in 4WD. Got some snow on the highways. If the truck is empty it's a bear on snow in 2WD.<br>I am not shure about longevity issues of doing so. <br>AlpineRAM
Old 11-21-2002, 11:28 AM

just to add to GPs excelent comments on the transfer case relibability -- My only concern with high speed 4WD operation is two things: the potential for driveline windup and the guarentee of tire slippage. <br><br>Regarding windup -- if you hit a patch of bare pavement, all of a sudden your front and rear driveshafts are locked together in the transfer case without any tire slippage. Around corners, the front tires travel further than the rear tires, hence a small difference in driveshaft rotations associated with a given forward travel distance. The manufacturer usually compensates for this by hard gearing the rear diff taller than the front diff (e.g. 3.55 and 3.54), but this is only a best compromise. in the end, your driveshafts are going to wind up like rubber bands (and as GP said, stress the xfer case).<br><br>regarding tire slippage, this is of course the natural result of relieving driveline windup. If the terrain is slippery enough to avoid drive line windup (which should be the case, else you shouldn't be in 4WD), then the slippage will create a small handling issue which you'll have to deal with, and may preclude a controlled fast action, slowdown, or turn. It also may cause a sudden movement of the truck in response to a combination of slippage and the prevailing road conditions. Its all about pushing the envelope of the driver's own skill and comfort zone, managing the risk given the conditions, etc. <br><br>that said, I find that the truck does very well on dirt w/o gravel. My experience concurs with AlpineRam -- the truck just handles much better in 4WD and I find that on mountain dirt roads I don't experience windup -- I do experience tire slippage though, as I described above. <br><br>dirt roads are kind of a grey area for high-speed 4WD operation, in that you could build up some energy in the driveshafts for some short distance (windup because the tires can't quite break loose on the hard dirt) , and then the tires will finally break loose, causing the truck to do funny things ;D<br><br>as for using 4WD in a hard rain storm. hmm havent done that. seems to me that hydroplaning and side-to-side traction would be more important than 4WD, and that 4WD might give you a false sense of security. never tried it so I dunno. you'll have periodic windup relief and tire slippage though, which I would think would be a bad thing. <br>
Old 11-21-2002, 05:20 PM

I run my ram up to 85 MPH in 4X4 all the time, and have done so with all my previous trucks. I have never had a problem with my trucks by doing this, although I have never kept them beyond 110K miles. Of course I only do it when its slippery out. My rule of thumb is if I can step on it and spin the back tires at speed, I can use 4X4.<br>JMHO
Old 11-21-2002, 07:16 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome aboard Mr. Cold...I think I know you. heheheh.<br><br>I drive mine the same.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:54 PM

i usually don't run 4wd higher than 50, but i have a couple times. the front end of these trucks push so hard that you have to run around in 4wd during the winter. if i'm doing 50mph thouhg, and i want to put it in 4wd, i always put the tranny in neutral before shifting into 4wd. at lower speeds, i just let off the throttle and pull her back.<br><br>Tom
Old 11-21-2002, 09:39 PM

Living with ice and snow is an every day adventure. I drive 55 to 60 all the time in 4 wheel drive. As long as the road is slick that is the only way to go. I have not had one failure yet in 30 plus years and 600000 miles.Ford,Dodge,Chevy, and Jeeps
Old 11-22-2002, 12:34 PM

[quote author=Cold Diesel link=board=4;threadid=7337;start=0#70758 date=1037920813]
I run my ram up to 85 MPH in 4X4 all the time, and have done so with all my previous trucks. I have never had a problem with my trucks by doing this, although I have never kept them beyond 110K miles. Of course I only do it when its slippery out. My rule of thumb is if I can step on it and spin the back tires at speed, I can use 4X4.
JMHO
[/quote][quote author=CaptainDD link=board=4;threadid=7337;start=0#70904 date=1037936365]
Living with ice and snow is an every day adventure. I drive 55 to 60 all the time in 4 wheel drive. As long as the road is slick that is the only way to go. I have not had one failure yet in 30 plus years and 600000 miles.Ford,Dodge,Chevy, and Jeeps
[/quote]

You guys must be fun to ride shotgun with.. ;D ;D