24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mechanos
.....I have a basic question about the high idle function.... how long does the engine normally idle before the ECM begins to ramp the idle speed up?
Typically it will enable within 60-90 seconds of starting, depending on the outside temp. If the truck has been running and warmed up and you stop and let it idle it will engage again if it's cold enough. At the -40 ambient up here it will come on at stop lights-

Justin
Old 01-29-2004, 09:38 AM

High Idle

Mechanos

I believe you are wrong. The 3 cylinder part is what actives the TSB. If they do not turn on the 3 cylinder, the high idle will not function. That is why so many people have trouble getting it turned on. If you read the TSB it state that is how to enable it (second part/first is reflash). I think that the 3 cylinder enable is a little miss labeled. I got my working finally this winter after second trip to the dealer. First time (when feature was first introduced a couple years ago) they did not enable the 3 cylinder setting and high idle did not work. SNOKING
Old 01-29-2004, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks.... I will look into this.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:53 AM

Re: High Idle

Originally posted by Snoking
Mechanos

I believe you are wrong. The 3 cylinder part is what actives the TSB. If they do not turn on the 3 cylinder, the high idle will not function. That is why so many people have trouble getting it turned on. If you read the TSB it state that is how to enable it (second part/first is reflash). I think that the 3 cylinder enable is a little miss labeled. I got my working finally this winter after second trip to the dealer. First time (when feature was first introduced a couple years ago) they did not enable the 3 cylinder setting and high idle did not work. SNOKING
There is another thread going on similar to this one about the hi idle. The Hi Idle WILL work without the 3 cyl enabled, at least on an '01 it will. I know this without a doubt, I ran mine with just the hi idle enabled, and it worked fine. A few months ago I had the 3 cyl. enabled at the dealership, it has to be enabled seperately from the hi idle, but the hi idle HAS to be enabled in order for the 3 cyl to work. Not the other way around. My dealership here had no idea what any of this was until I brought the TSB in for them to look at. I was with the Tech the whole time and watched over his shoulder to ensure it was done properly.

Justin