24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

HIGH EGT'S with stock engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIGH EGT'S with stock engine

Hey guys, need your thoughts on this. I went to the lake last weekend for my cousins bachelor's party and pulled my 26ft camper with me. This is an old camper weighing in at around 6500 lbs loaded. I have no problem pulling it and holding steady at 70mph, my problem is the dang egts,, this is a stock engine with the only mods being a BHAF and straight exaust. I was pulling some fairly steep hills I suppose around a 15 degrees and holding at 70 with it flat on the floor in 3rd gear lockup. My egts would start climbing and I would finally back out of it at around 1450 to let them drop back to 1200. I know,, 1350 should be the max but I was trying to see just how much hotter they would get and I didnt hold it there for more than 10 or 15 seconds.
My biggest question is,, why is this happening, Dodge says a stock engine wont get hot enough to need gauges but I can promise you it will! My Pyro is pre turbo. Second question is,, with temps this high, how would I be able to use a box if my temps are already this high? A box would give me more power but would I be able to use it with temps this high already? Engine temp stays right around 200-210 fan cycles fairly regular. I really hate to know what the trans temps are, pulling that hard if the pyro is getting that hot!!

Thanks!
Keith
Old 06-15-2004, 07:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like you have a boost leak.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: HIGH EGT'S with stock engine

Originally posted by wheels
Second question is,, with temps this high, how would I be able to use a box if my temps are already this high? A box would give me more power but would I be able to use it with temps this high already? Engine temp stays right around 200-210 fan cycles fairly regular. I really hate to know what the trans temps are pulling that hard if the pyro is getting that hot!!

Thanks!
Keith
With the box, you'd also get the boost fooler, which would allow you to get more air in there,
that should help cooling things down.

Also, with the box, you wouldn't be "flooring" it as much to stay at those speeds,
so there'd be less lugging on the engine, which creates a lot of EGT.

Trans temps shouldn't be that high since you are moving some air through the cooler, and are locked up,
the only times I've seen really high tranny temps is moving slow with a lot of throttle (I.E. Hill Climbing offroad)
and stuck in traffic during hot weather, both most likely without the converter locked.

Still stock fueling wise.

phox
Old 06-15-2004, 08:22 PM

Mike R,
My boost is staying right at 19lbs coming up the hills. My boost always seems to be right in line with what it should be. I was wondering if the BHAF is just drawing to much heat from under the hood? I did notice my egts went up a little after adding the BHAF but nothing to write home about.. maybe 50-75 degrees hotter.

Keith
Old 06-16-2004, 02:22 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
By adding a box and boost fooler your EGT's will drop. Maybe a lot. I would just becareful with power mods since you have an automatic. You could just try a boost fooler by itself just to get more air through the turbo but keep the boost at a reasonable level so you dont start creating heat. And if by adding that air filter you increased 75* EGT, I would be taking it off.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:54 AM

Keith:

I had the same exact problem with my stock truck while pulling my 9,100 gvw 5th wheel. I solved my problem by adding two things: an Edge EZ and the Scotty II air system. Even though the EZ added power it also has a boost fooler which allows higher boost. I installed a turnbuckle to keep the wastegate closed since my truck is an automatic. Since the install of the EZ and the Scotty II, I cannot get my EGT's higher than 1100 and I now have power to spare when towing. Best two mods I have made on any vehicle that I have owned.
PS. I also installed a shift kit in my tranny to help hold the extra power from the EZ. No problems so far.