24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

HELP..Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP..Truck won't start

This is on my Dad's 02 with a 5 speed. It was running fine when he parked it. Next day the battery's where dead so I boosted him off. When I took the jumper cable lead off my truck, his died and has not started back since. We have cleaned all the terminals and tries boosting it again with no luck. It also has diesel in the canister as I went ahead and changed the filter. There are no codes thrown either. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2007, 02:47 PM

replace or have the batterys charged with a trickel charger. if you boosted him and his batterys were stone dead, if you pulled the cables off too soon you cause a huge voltage spike, you could have worse case fried an ecm. the best only way to boost is to SHUT the boosting veh off before attempting to start the dead veh, and DO NOT remove the cables for at least 15mins, if removed too soon the alt will go max output trying to fill a battery that all the sudden went dead as you removed the booster cables.

replace the batterys with charged ones, try to start it and keep your fingers crossed
Old 12-24-2007, 03:29 PM

I was going to say the same thing , many do not know how to jump start , the wrong thing can do big damage .
1st totally dead batteries [ if they can come back at all ] require a lot of amps at fist , to over come the dead .
To jump connect cables with neither eng running , connecting the neg to a good eng ground last [ no spark at battery = bang ] , then depending on how dead the batteries are , high idle for longer on deader batteries , then shut off truck before turning over dead truck , pull off cables a few min after dead truck has been running .
Old 12-24-2007, 07:44 PM

We put new battery's on it and still no start. I also unloaded his Superchips programmer from the ecm and checked codes with it, it still show no codes.

If it is the ECM, where would be the cheapest place to get a new ECM?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:05 PM

If you changed the filter, you could still have air in the lines. Crack open #1 and #3 fuel line at the head and crank it until diesel squirts out. Close the lines and keep cranking. It should fire up pretty rough then smooth out after all the air is out of the lines.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:05 AM

1st off you do not want to go to the most complicated part 1st , and especially with out a test that confirms whats wrong .
I am not familiar with Superchips , I have used most all of the professional , Snap On , factory , ect scanners , with one of those I would need to see if there is two way communication , some times you can see bad data or missing data , that may not set a code , so basically I'm saying that unless you know what your doing , the last thing you want to do as a do it yourselfer , is jump on replacing the ECM , if need be they are available rebuilt , but again this is something that a good tech should be doing , there are checks to be done before putting in a ECM to make sure you do not kill the new one .
At this point go back to basics , check fuel pressure & that the injectors are firing , and fuel supply to them .