24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help with removing hubs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help with removing hubs

Does anyone have any advice for removing hubs. I've tried jb80, the torch, and to differant kinds of pullers. I'm at a loss here. Can someone please help me out. My pickups been sitting in the garage for a week with the front end tore apart.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sometimes when the hub is really seized in the knuckle, there is just no substitute for a large slide hammer......I have changed many of these #@$%*# bearing hubs and the big (30 lb) slide hammer does it every time - a few times I had to apply a bit of heat to the knuckle, but not much.... and even then, that was in the most extreme cases. If you don't have a 30 lb (or similar) slide hammer and can't rent or borrow one, then I have one last suggestion.....this does seem to work every time but I would only do this if you can't pull the hubs out any other way.....put 2 bearing hub bolts in each hub and thread them in half way. Next, bolt the wheels back on and jack the truck as high off the ground as your floor jack will allow......then drop the front end on the ground as fast and as hard as you can.....the hubs should be loose or cracked free enough in the knuckles after one or two tries to be able to remove them.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I 've never had one that didn't come out with the right tool [ thats the biggist part ] and a little feness that just lots of experance , but what I've read here and elswhere is some guys leave the bolts on the back side that hold the hub to the axial half way out then with a 2nd person and eng. running use the power steering and something to go between the bolt and the axial housing to push on the bolts with , go slow and when ever you put a lot of pressure on something - press, puller, make sure you give all sides an equall push never get the parts out of alingment , once they get caught out of alinement then you could end up needing new parts , axial housings & hubs can get very expensive.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In addition to the slide hammer we used an air hammer on the 4 stud bolts that hold the hub in place. Put a socket on them and stick the air hammer in the ratchect hole on the socket.