24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help - No Start Without Charge - Very Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Help - No Start Without Charge - Very Rough Idle

Just want to say thanks to all. This sight is amazing, I've owned my truck since new in 01. I have done nothing except routine maintenance with little issues except two trans, first under warranty at 2800 miles, and last at 80 something thousand. Needless to say I love my ride and definetly still have that new feeling, more so since DTR exposure.

Here's my problem.. Early morning jump in to start my day, cranks but wont turn over. This has never happened... Applied charger for help when volts got a little low. still no start after nearly 1 hour.. The morning temp is around 55 to 65 degrees this time of year.

To date this is what I know and things that I have been performed.

Changed LP (carter $165.00 pep boys)
Changed fuel filter
Changed Injectors $480.00 (Bosch from southeast power systems - one step up from stock - stock number 0432193635) couldn't tell you what I really bought.

No change! - codes are as follows - P1594 and P1693.

Their is one odd thing happening here which I stumbled upon. The truck will start with some major effort from a charger, 60 amps.
When the cummins starts it sound like it's running on only 3 cylinders - that rough. The odd thing is if I increase the amps to 250(start amps) the engine seems to idle normal. however Pressing the pedel proves no response in RPM.

I'm at a loss, I've tried all I know.. I have not checked the fuel pressure but their is fuel at the injectors when cracked. The new LP does turn on as expected. Truck does not blow any smoke, even when running rough.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Been down for nearly three weeks now and running out of options.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, welcome to the site, don't let us scare you off, these trucks really don't have all the problems we make them out to have.

As to the codes, doesn't quite make sense

P1594 Charging System Voltage Too High
This could be from you charging to start, the 250amp starting jump could create a false code.
P 1693 is the companion code telling you there is a code.
Comes from having two primary computers fighting with each other, the Dodge PCM, and the Cummins ECM.

I'm going to say your batteries are dead.
Many folks in Florida report that batteries don't last too long in that fair state.
If you still have the originals, great, they lasted longer than they should have.

You could get them tested at any major auto parts store, make sure you replace them both.
If you leave one bad battery in, it will severely shorten the life of the new one.

phox
Old 01-25-2006, 08:37 PM

Thanks Phox,

One Battery is new within 6 months, the other is 2 plus years. You have raised an interesting point. I have had a tough time with my battery connections staying tight. Lots of Corrosin at times, never have noticed any voltage drops. I'll pull the batteries and get them tested as well as the cables.

My first install when I get this little problem solved are some guages.

I'll keep you posted..

Keven
Old 01-26-2006, 07:49 AM

Take a hacksaw and cut a little of the inside of the battery clamps away so they clamp tighter works like a charm also my truck came new with a loose ground resulted in a overcharging Batt. you may went to give it good look over. Also I have been told its best to change both at the same time.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Does the engine spin over but won't start? Are the batteries dead and need charging?

Are you sure it's not your starter contacts? See my pics for worn starter contacts and LarryB's for a repair kit. No need to replace the starter.

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm
Old 01-26-2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by 01dodge2500stoc
Thanks Phox,

One Battery is new within 6 months, the other is 2 plus years. You have raised an interesting point. I have had a tough time with my battery connections staying tight. Lots of Corrosin at times, never have noticed any voltage drops. I'll pull the batteries and get them tested as well as the cables.

My first install when I get this little problem solved are some guages.

I'll keep you posted..

Keven
1. I would replace BOTH batteries...
2. I would have the alternator check for performance...
3. To stop the corsion on the battery cable is easy... A few drops of engine oil on the terminals will STOP all corsion. I've been doing this for over 20+ years and it works good.. Never got to clean them or fight withy rusted terminals.
4. Check your main battery leads for failure. I've seen on several diesel rigs that the battery leads rot internally and become weak connections. If you check the voltage from positive to positive and find more that 0.3 Volts the cable has failed.

That should cover you...

Take notice to the battery terminals nice and clean yet... for a stock 2002...