24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help! My truck has gone crazy!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! My truck has gone crazy!!!!

Hey I wanted to see if anybody could help me with this one. I have a 2001 2500 4x4, auto trans, with slight mods [banks high ram kit, edge juiced with attitude chip, FASS system, cold air intake] Last week I learned that when the truck says 1/8 tank of fuel, its actually empty...lol After finally getting it to start it ran fine, but was hard to start. Then my check engine light came on and I had it scanned. The codes were camshaft position sensor and turbo super boost sensor. I erased them, then the tranny started shifting funny and the light came back on again. I scanned it again and it came up trans supply volt relay. How hard is it to fix this stuff, where is it located, and has anybody had this problem before????

Any help would be appreciated
Steph
Old 05-30-2007, 11:03 AM

What kind of scanner did you use? I've heard of some problems people have had while using some of the cheep scanners. Try not to run your truck when its under 1/4 tank of diesel.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Start with simply cleaning all battery connections and all ground wire connections. Many times this will fix malfunctioning sensors. Clean the large ground cable connected to the underside of the block.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:10 AM

When I bought mine it read a 1/8 of a tank drove home and ran out in driveway.put 10 gals of red fuel in from yard tank.then proceeded to fight to bleed it.lift pump was weak!after it started sure nuff ran poor and blew codes.I cleared them and changed fuel filter.started again this time filling filter by removing both test port plugs on filter.still codes different both times.Then I remebered my other Dodge and how it liked voltage.I charged both batteries cleaning terminals and cable ends sprayed some PB corrosion stop on them and tightened them down.no codes (except when rear end sensor went!)for 50k so I would try making electrical connections clean first. Bill
Old 06-01-2007, 01:31 PM

That reminds me of a story told to me by Eric at Vulcan Performance in Vancouver WA last time I was down there. Seems like someone there needed to install a Draw Straw kit and instead of installing it where it was right on the bottom of the fuel tank, this guy thought he'd be cool (and not listen) and instead he'd "leave it up a ways." Seems like he finished the job and then dumped in 5 gallons of diesel to get home. Instead he went around the corner and ran out of fuel!!!!! Eric told him to either cut or grind the end of the Draw Straw to an angle and then place a quarter between the end of the Draw Straw and the bottom of the tank. Tighten up the Draw Straw at that level, remove the quarter and button her up. Doing this assures you of your truck being able to get fuel in the tank tho I'd NEVER run mine that low. Needless to say, we installed the Draw Straw according to Eric's precise instructions and have had no problems.
When you installed (or had it done) the FASS did you do the Draw Straw kit too??? A change in altitude of the fuel uptake tube/line inside the tank would most likely be the culprit for running out of fuel when you KNOW there's fuel in there.
As for the codes, maybe have someone else do a diagnostic scan and see if the same codes come up with their reader....
Good luck!!
Old 06-03-2007, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DID you fix your truck?????
Old 06-04-2007, 12:13 AM

try turking the key on, off, on off, on and watch the odometer
that should give you your codes
Old 06-14-2007, 09:52 AM

Well, its running fine now, except for every once in a while the codes 1765 and 1693 come up. Haven't had time to clean the connections yet. Also, anyone that has the edge chip, have yall had any problems with it?? The other day my truck wouldnt cut off at all, even with the key out of the switch. The attitude monitor at this time wasnt on at all. I unplugged the computer and its acting fine now.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:41 PM

GET RID OF THE 'EDGE'

GET A SMARTY
Old 10-13-2007, 12:40 AM

HMMM 1/8 tank but empty.....

I just replaced my VP44 (coincidentally 1/8 tank of fuel), put $10 worth in drove 36 miles, and BAM dead pedal again. I am beginning to wonder if my sending unit took went out. Hmm..... Oh and no codes too....