24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help !! Help !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help !! Help !!

I live in Texas and bought a 1998.6 2500 24V Cummins, 5 speed manual, 4x4 short bed w/suicide doors brand new off the lot and put about 75K miles (That's right only 75,000 miles) using it mainly for trips to the deer lease and to tow my scooters to bike rallies around the southwest up until about 2008. I've been considering a newer smaller gasser for longer road trips and my dodge has spent at least the last couple years in the elements behind the garage. It's been at least 16 months since i've touched it and I went out to start it figuring i'd need to have it towed to get it ready for trade in and surprisingly turned the key and it started right up. I was shocked. The last thing i did was change the batteries on it about 3 years. I've since decided that if i fixed it up a bit i might have myself all the truck i need or want. My questions are many. I put Michelin 265/75's on it about 6 years ago and those are about gone with dry rott.

I have no lift or level kit on it and i'd like to put 285/75's mixed use tires on it. Will they fit without major wear on the fender well area up front ?

I changed the oil and air filter religiously but never once changed the fuel fliter because 1) the WIF light never came on and 2) not one lube/ filter house or gas station i ever took it to for service would agree to change the fuel fliter.. I found a guy who said he would do it for a $150 bucks including the filter and i've read enough on this site that i could do it my self without major consequences if i had to.

I'll probly have the serpentine belt and radiater hoses replaced, check the brake lines for dry rot and any other rubber assemblies.

What else should i do to get the engine back in shape ?

The dash panel has a major crack in it on the passenger side that makes it rattle a bit and the fuel gage often sticks on empty until the engine's been running for quite a while.. How much would it cost to get a dash from the salvage yard and what would it take to install it ?

Any advice would be appreciated..
M
Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 PM

Don't waste your time getting a used dash because it will crack as well. 285's will fit stock. I would drain the fuel out of it and change the oil. Do a search on here about aftermarket fuel pumps (FASS, Airdog) and think about getting one of those to keep it reliable. Other than the items you mentioned it should be fine.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 PM

Keep what you have and just do the fixing up.
The fuel filter is pretty easy to do. You basically drain the fuel out, unscrew the top (socket with extension so you can clear everything with the ratchet), I'd maybe wipe the bowl out & then replace the filter and screw back in. I always lube the o-ring so that it goes in nicely without pinching.
next thing I do is bump the starter to get the lift pump running and then I bleed out the air from the system using the schrader valves.

I agree with the post above... drain all your old fuel out of the tank too.... that has to be nasty after 3 years.

a dash cover is probably the cheapest & quickest way to fix the dash.

all new rubber (tires, hoses, belts) is a good idea.

new brake calipers and wheel cylinders might be a good idea too
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM

You don't have to drain your filter housing. Just unscrew the top, then pull the filter out slowly. Replace the rubber oring (lube it a little with some oil) then put the new filter on and drop her back down into the housing. Bump your starter enough to run the lift pump but not start the truck. That will fill up the housing completely (two bumps maybe if you do drain it) and fire her up.

Get yourself some gauges, some new injectors, and read, read, read this board and figure out what you want to do.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanks !! Couple more questions

I appreciate the advice.. A few more questions & comments.

Where's the best place to get an OEM rebuilt starter and alternator ? I would imagine nothing sold aftermarket would have the torque to turn it over. I'm thinking i should get these parts as safety stock..

Completely draining the tank might be a problem. I parked it last with the tank almost empty, less than an 1/8th of a tank. When i started it I let it run until the fuel gage kicked in, about 30 minutes, and then drove it directly to the station and filled it up. Ouch !! Diesel used to be a bargain. No more, at $3 plus some change 25 gallons is wallet buster. I'll have the fuel line replaced but it's a little late on what's left in the tank.

I ordered an FASS drop in replacement fuel pump that i should have in a few days.
M
Old 02-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I'd go to geno's garage for the heavy duty starter contacts, they are about $35.

Larger tires may rub the passenger side control arm but won't get near your fenders if you stay with a 285.

If its running smooth and getting clean fuel I wouldn't worry about dropping the tank..