24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help! ECM question's..and more..

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! ECM question's..and more..

I am having problems with my ECM. From the searching I've done I think my ECM needs to be replaced. My "Wait To Start" light often takes up to 15 seconds to even come on and will not start until it does. Is there anything else that could cause the delay in my "Wait To Start" light to come on that would also not send a signal to my lift pump? Could this problem be fixed with a reflash and if so will I have to disconnect the Banks Ottomind before?

Also... I have been tracking down the infamous TQ converter lock/ unlock problem for over 2 years. I have done everything thinkable to try and fix this problem (and by everything I mean EVERYTHING), cleaning grounds, resetting the APPS, replacing the APPS (twice), adding jumper grounding wires, replacing the alternator, new batteries, a noise filter, aluminum foil tricks, pulling rabbits out of a hat.. You name it I've done it. My last attempt was the noise filter. It solved the random lock/unlock problem but at the expense of causing another. Now the transmission shifts into overdrive far too early and will not unlock when accelerating at speeds above approximately 50m.p.h... Will replacing the ECM or reflashing it allow me to remove the noise filter and possibly, hopefully, maybe by the grace of god ACTUALLY fix the problem??? Should I just douche my truck with gas and set it on fire? There’s so many ideas going through my head I think I'm going to go crazy.. Thanks for any help you can provide... - Matt
Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 PM

lockup is commanded by the tcm not the ecm, you have seporate issues. even though You have gone through grounds and such it still sounds like you have a ground problem. if the lift pump is not cycling, try running a direct ground from the pump harness tot he rail. t it in, dont seporate it from the harness. See if that helps with that problem. I have had that issue in the past with a customer on multiple trucks and that is what they had to do. you can try to recalibrate the ecm but I dont think it will help. and dont let chrysler do it. if you want to try a recal, bring ig to cummins
Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
pcm= powertrain control module, located on passanger side firewall
Old 02-14-2009, 12:40 PM

Alright well... Thanks for the two responses’. I already knew PCM = powertrain control module so umm... Thanks. I've done some thinking and my plan is to just replace the ECM. As far as the noise filter problem I was thinking about disassembling it and removing approximately half the coils of wire inside it. My theory is that the noise filter is restricting voltage changes to the point where it won't allow it to send a strong enough signal to permit the Tq converter to unlock in fourth gear. The noise filter I have is from Navone engineering and is rated for 30 amps, far greater than what is needed. Does anyone know what the DTT noise filter is rated at?????????? I tried calling them (not open on weekends) and looking at their website with no success. Anybody have any suggestions??
Old 02-15-2009, 02:55 PM

To the top...
Old 02-15-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by F.O.S.
To the top...

not sure if this would mean anything but I see you have a walbro lift pump. is it powered via a relay or directly from the ecm?
Not sure if that type of pump draws more amps than a stock unit. if it does that could be some of your problem.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 PM

meant pcm. changing the ecm will have no bearing on what the pcm is doing in shifting your trans.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:42 PM

Instead of noise filter, replace with a common ignition condenser. Lead to alt positive and housing to alternator. I was one that would not pay 75 dollars for fix (noise kit). No issues for 14,000 miles now.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Did you get the PCM Updated??

NO: 18-02-99
SUBJECT: Erratic Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Operation (5.9L Diesel Applications)
DATE: Feb. 19, 1999
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software (calibration changes 98cal12 & 99cal14).

NOTE: THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.9L 24 VALVE DIESEL ENGINE AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION BUILT BETWEEN JAN. 1, 1998 AND DEC. 18, 1998 (MDH 0101XX & 1218XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicles may experience a surge like condition while in 4th gear. This may be caused by the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) unlocking and locking when it should be consistently locked. The cause of this erratic operation has been identified as electrical noise from the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) or Alternator.