24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

HELP!!! Can't remove Crank Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question HELP!!! Can't remove Crank Position Sensor

Ok I've researched till I'm blue in the face.
I've got the starter off, the dipstick out of the way and have hit the sensor multiple times with PBBLASTER and I still can't get it to budge????

I've tried everything(tapping with hammer, pry'ing with screwdriver, twisting with vicegrips) BUT using a dent puller, its kinda cramped, the only dent puller I could get my hands on is about twice as long as the space available.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

-Tim

ps: took it to a local shop because I knew this was going to be over my head and they wouldn't even touch it, so I didn' t have much choice but try myself

Last edited by imbodie; 08-10-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 PM

Talking

Update: finally removed my old Carter LP (had left in place when I installed my FASS95) this allowed me to get the vice-grips in well enough to TURN the CPS but still couldn't pull it out. Tapped it with a self-tapping screw, just pulled a small chunk of plastic........

Any suggestions before it gets sent to the dealership?? they swear they can pull it, something about a Cummins tech with 15+ years with such things??
but I don't trust dealerships....
-Tim
Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
been there done that. if it doesent fall right out you have to go to phase 2. you have to drop the oil pan and push it out through the oil pan, sort of a pain in the rear
Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Try this

Old 08-10-2009, 08:45 PM

you don't want to "drop" the pan, cause it don't drop
Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
something I used to do is pry it with a screwdriver at the same time I was turning it....sounds crazy but it works...sometimes it will break and then all you do is get a screwdriver in along the side of the old one and twist...it will fold into itself and you can pull it out with a pair of needlenose.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by mwdean
you don't want to "drop" the pan, cause it don't drop
well why not, I raised the engine up and had just enough room to pull the pan out
Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Try a panel puller it is the most used tool in my tool box. 25+ years dealership
Old 08-11-2009, 01:44 AM

I kept heating the end of a screwdriver up red hot and burning a notch about 3/4's the length of the sensor. I then put a wood screw into the sensor (I found hitting the end of the screw to get it started also helped with breaking the sensor's rust seal). After the screw was in, I spun the sensor around and around inside the block then finally pulled it out.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:20 AM

I've always get the sensor spinning in the block first, hit it with pennatrating oil, then use a small prybar on the metal bracket. Pry on it while spinning it in the block. Haven't broke one yet.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:27 PM

Exclamation The End of the Story

OK..
I officialy gave up and am a die-hard believer that the Crank Position Sensor is the HARDEST sensor EVER to remove. I finally had to take it to the dealer and it took their "experienced" diesel tech (cummins) four HOURS to remove the sensor. They wouldn't tell me what they did, but I do know it involved a torch and eventually breaking the sensor in half.
New sensor in place and running great.....
-Tim
Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Crank Position Sensor

I have been doing the same thing, I have researched and researched. I do not have a diesel, but am working on a 1997 pontiac sunfire 2.2. My research led me to your thread, but same problem. I have been twisting and pulling and tryed needlenose plyers. It is very hard to reach and I can barely fit my arm in to reach it from the top. Can't hardly reach from the bottom. I will have to agree with you, that this is or can be the hardest sensor to replace......I still can't get it to come out. Very fustrating..
Old 09-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Wait until you try to change a cam sensor on a 24 valve with the VP still installed..........
BTW, when I changed my crank sensor, mine was one of the easy ones to remove.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 00 CTD
I've always get the sensor spinning in the block first, hit it with pennatrating oil, then use a small prybar on the metal bracket. Pry on it while spinning it in the block. Haven't broke one yet.
Best suggestion yet
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
Best suggestion yet
I agree, i sprayed mine to death with nutcracker and WD and spun it back and forth with light pry pressure behind whatever you can find to pry against. I broke a bunch of the shoulder off and when i was about to get a big hammer and really remove it, it just popped out. Its a real test of patience, kinda like a 3 year old with little popping lawnmower toy.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Can't remove Crank Position Sensor