24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

HELP---broke truck--and it it cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP---broke truck--and it it cold

I started my 24 valve tonight. A strang vibrating sound was coming from under the hood. I turned my truck off and looked under the hood. The belt was done for and the pulley on the fan was cocked at an angle and all wobblie. Most of the 36mm bolt was exposed. Any ideas would be great. thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 10:32 PM
GSP

Sounds like sompin done broke. Belt too tight? I know a guy that put a brand new water pump and radiator in his jeep. He had the fan belts way too tight and broke the waterpump shaft and sent the fan into his new radiator.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:50 PM

I have owned the truck for a year. It just went over 100K. I've never touched the belt. Any idea on why the pulley is ****-eyed and how to resolve?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Banned

doesn't help that it is dark, cold is bad enough. breakin it worse is a tough call and that is what you might do if youtry to tackle it in hast. if possible sit it out and wait till you have some better working conditions ( daylight ) once you get the belt off check it there is a wobble to the unit or it somehow just came loose. cool head can save a lot if loose is the only problem. I am wishing you luck as this is most likely not he case and something has broke on ya, one of them just live past waranty parts....... good luck
Old 12-10-2005, 10:10 AM

on one side of the fan pulley can be pulled in and out (like a hinge)3/8 of an inch.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:17 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a thread on this, wait a minute, I 'll see if I can find it.

Long story short, my bolt(s) came loose and I was seconds away from the fan throwing itself into the radaitor.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:24 AM
P.J
Banned

Here you go.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=78607

True story, a week or so after this episode a fellow 2001 CTD owner came over at the landfill to talk trucks and a minute into the conversation he said
"has you serpentine belt ever come off" I was shocked, as I had already blamed the dealer for not tightening the four or five little bolts back up after my VP44 install (which later I found out they probably never even had it off).

No problems since then, but man what a rackett under there till I shut her down and realized what was happening.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:28 AM

I am going from memory. My truck is broken sitting in a parking lot in town. Does that pulley bolt directly on? I am having a heck of a time trying to find some good pics of it.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:36 AM
P.J
Banned

There should be 5 small, short bolts that hold the fan on from the front.

You are talking the fan itself, with the pulley, right?

Is the belt completely thrown? If not, take some tension off the tensioner and get the belt off for now to take the pressure off the cocked pulley.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:40 AM

I started my truck. It was making a wobblie noise. Before I turned it off, the noise quit. I looked under the hood and the belt was tore up. The I noticed the pulley. I think that the pulley let loose partly and that is what did the belt in. I can see the 36mm bolt. the pully looks like it is attached in one place to that 36mm bolt. Is the pully supposed to butt up to that 36mm bolt? Because now it just touches it in one location. The belt it toast and completey off.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:44 AM

Again, from memory, the fan spins fine. Its that pully that has alot of play in it, but only on one side because it the opposite side of that pully is tight against that big bolt. Also, by good pics I mean picture off the internet of what it is supposed to look like.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:51 AM

Does anyone know if that pulley on the fan is spot welded for attachment to the 36mm bolt?
Old 12-10-2005, 02:20 PM
GSP

Grape43, I just looked at my '99 truck The pulley has 6, 10mm little bolts on the front holding it on, then I see the big nut then the fan.

Maybe all your little bolts that hold the pulley came out and the pulley is just jammed on there cocked side ways now.

Is the fan shaft straight or cocked like the pulley? Do you have 6 holes in the front side of the pulley where 10mm bolts could go?

Maybe all you need is new 10mm bolts(dont know if they are course or fine thread) and a new belt

Rick
Old 12-10-2005, 02:31 PM
GSP

http://dodgeram.org/graphics/Diesel.gif

You can see the little 10mm bolts that hold the pully in the picture.

The big 36mm nut is what attaches the fan assembly.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:18 PM

Thats going to be a tough one , becouse the pulley is not going to help like its spouse to , to take off the fan when normal , 2 tools at least by shops, one to go on the large nut and it turns clockwize to losen , lefthand threads , and the secound tool goes around the 10mm bolts to hold while unscrewing the fan , this can be done without taking off the belt , now to try to figure out how to take apart in your condition , first get a knife and cut the belt to get it out of the way then remove the fan shrowd to get more room , the tricky part is to hold the inside part[ flange ] the the pulley bolts to , if you can get some bolts to go into the flange that is behind the pulley , if the pulley is stuck like you say, you may need to tap on it with a hammer to get it to move so to aline the holes for the bolts , do not screw in all the way [ go in a 1/4-1/2 "] so that you have something to pry against when getting a wrench on the fan nut , the fan nut is on tight enough that it would take perty good force on a 2 ft. long wrench . hopfully this will get you started.

Quick Reply: HELP---broke truck--and it it cold