24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help ASAP

I need help guys, my late 2001 just left me stranded on the side of the road. I had the injector pump replaced a month ago and as of half an hour ago replaced the lift pump but it is still not turning over. there is diesel but no fuel pressure. I have tested for codes and it threw the 1693 and 0203 any ideas what is going on.

Thanks
-Karlie Ann-
Old 08-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried to crack an injector line to see if fuel is making it to the injectors?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:53 AM

Starved truck

Yes I have cracked all the fuel lines to make sure that fuel is making it to the injector.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Chapter President

P0203 Fuel Injector 3 Circuit.

I don't understand your statement "....it is still not turning over. there is diesel but no fuel pressure....".

Are you saying you have fuel pressure to the VP44 and the injectors and it still won't start....or the engine won't turn over?

Did you "bump" the starter and let the pump run for a couple of 30 second cycles?

Where are you? Maybe someone is close that can help.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:47 PM

Heres the rundown...from me (B/f) who was driving

Was crusisng at about 60mph and felt truck go instantly weak. Looked and saw fuel pressure guage dancing down low. Pulled over and truck died. Bumped started several times to bring fuel pressure up but to no avail. Max psi was 5lbs after bumping starter. Towed truck to my shop.

Lift pump was running, but no pressure of 13-15lbs to be had. Max still 5psi. Thought lift pump is bad, so got new and installed. Then tried bump starter and now fuel pressure max 3psi. Yes lower to 3psi with new lift pump.

Thinking trash in the line took air hose and blew air down into feed line and accidenalty built up pressure in the tank, fuel came spewing back out when pressure got too high. So then I uncapped gas lid and try again, then had plenty of air coming from tank so line must be clear. Then re-attached feed line to lift pump>>>bump starter>>> no pressure. Turck no start.

Then all hooked back up and blew air into the gas tnak while lift pump running and vualawwwww...15-20 psi. After several rounds the truck then would pressurize fuel after a bump....but pressure climbed very very slowly versus before pressurization happened almost instantly. Truck no start

Then went after injector lines at the head. Line one had fuel when engine turned over. Line 2 couldnt get to with wrench. Line 3 no fuel whatsoever, line 4 no fuel whatsoever...no matter how much you turned the engine over. Even tried cranking on gas rag but she wouldnt go. Truck no start.

SUMMARY...
New lift pump still installed. Truck will get pressure but much too slow versus before, fuel bleeds through line one when opened, but no others. When trying to crank engine over the truck looses all fuel pressure. Truck now acts like the engine wants to fire but just wont. It even bumps and hickups a little bit. Engine threw code mentioned before.

My thought is something in the tank or line caused a blockage b/c with a new pump pressure should be fine and build fast not slow. The fuel pressure guage is mounted between pump outlet and filter.

And to think we had just ordered a pusher pump that hasnt come in yet
Old 08-07-2006, 08:48 PM

Truck is in college station texas, my boyfriend just gave the lowdown of what happened.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 PM

could be the screen in the tank has some trash on it, use wd 40 or brake cleaner to see if you can get to at least fire it still might have a lot of air in the line .ran the 98 out before it was a booger to get going again
Old 08-09-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i know this is basic but you didn't mention it. Fuel filter? i had mine go flat one day about 25 miles after a fill up. turns out the NJ turnpike fuel had a bunch o crap and plugged the last pores of an already dirty filter.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:55 PM
DTR Advertiser

There is a screen on the fuel pick up in the tank. This can definately cause problems with fuel delivery.

You can also bypass the ecm to directly power up the injection pump to see if it will start. Sometimes if it is an ecm problem you can start it with powering up the pump. It will just idle, but it will start. The local cummins dealer should be able to direct him to which pins to power up. This can help diagnose an ecm failure.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Chapter President

I've been told you should never blow air through the fuel lines, you could blow the pick up screen off of the pickup in the tank.
Try the filter and let us know.
good luck.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:53 AM

Also replace the fuel system relay in box under the hood. After I replaced my VP-44 I had a no start condition, was getting some fuel to injectors, swapped relay from tranny and fired right up, give it a try.

Jed
Old 08-11-2006, 03:20 PM

The presure being good, then dropping and building slowly again sounds just like the problem I had. I had just installed the Vulcan "Super Sucker" tank pickup tube. Well it seems I left it a little long and it bottomed out against the intank strainer. It would make presure at idle, just until you hit the throttle.

When installing the new pickup tube, I was shocked to see how many screens and 1/4" i.d. line points were inside the tank. Drop the tank and go through the pickup module.

If the pump is on the frame, try a flow test. Put a hose from the pump inlet into a can of diesel, and the output into another can. Check the flow rate and volume. Try this also with the pump hooked to the tank and free flowing to a diesel can. Compare the two. This will let you know if your lines or pickup unit plugged. Blowing the lines clear into the tank works for a while, but eventually that piece of stuff will get right back to where it was.