24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Heater/AC airflow problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012 | 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heater/AC airflow problem

My 01 's heater/AC isn't passing much air. The fan sounds like it's running ok in all speeds but not much air comes out of the vents.

Do I have a door stuck, already done he "Heater Treater" upgrade last year, or do I have leaves and dirt clogging my heater/ac coils.

If they are clogged, how do you access them short of evacuating the freon and removing the dash?
Old 10-27-2012 | 11:06 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Could have the blend door hanging up.

Mine will flap shut when I switch from hot to cold fast. YOU CAN DO THIS QUICKLY AFTER SHUTTING OFF THE ENGINE AND TURNING THE KEY BACK ON, sorry hit caps lock there. And listening for the noise it makes.

Leaves don't usually get in, but needles, especially fir needles can get thru the mesh. I usually pull my resistor to clean the mess out once a year....
Old 10-28-2012 | 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a blend door issue to me
Old 10-28-2012 | 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by iwhitne
sounds like a blend door issue to me
My truck has little air flow in either heat or AC mode. so it wont be the blend door.

I went thru the blend door problems last year, I thought it was the servo motor that moves the door and bought a new one....mistake, it was the connector shaft between the servo and the door that had split.

I found the Heater Treater company that gives you instructions on how to re-index the servo and a replacement metal connector to replace the plastic one.

The blend door just adds heat to your ducts, this is because Dodge in it's infinite wisdom decided it was cheaper to do than have a thermostatically controlled water valve on the heater core.
Old 10-28-2012 | 09:23 AM

you can try to back flush the heater core... simply un hook both lines.. I used compressed air and gently blew out the core into a bucket... I then took booth lines and zip tied them as straight into the air as possible and filled the heater core with some radiator cleaner I let it sit for about an hour then carefully drained and flushed with water until the water was clear... I repeated this 3 times and was amazed of all the crap that came out... that will clean the inside...... to lean the outside is a litte harder without removing it.... there is a cleaner on the market that is sprayed thru a tube from the outside into the hvac intake.. it foams up and removes the buildup of dirt.. it is then flushed with water.. there is a small drain hole that can get clogged below the heater/ac core
Old 10-28-2012 | 09:37 AM

use this to clean the outside...

http://www.amazon.com/1Z-einszett-Kl...=5336108634-20
Old 10-28-2012 | 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by iwhitne
you can try to back flush the heater core... simply un hook both lines.. I used compressed air and gently blew out the core into a bucket... I then took booth lines and zip tied them as straight into the air as possible and filled the heater core with some radiator cleaner I let it sit for about an hour then carefully drained and flushed with water until the water was clear... I repeated this 3 times and was amazed of all the crap that came out... that will clean the inside...... to lean the outside is a litte harder without removing it.... there is a cleaner on the market that is sprayed thru a tube from the outside into the hvac intake.. it foams up and removes the buildup of dirt.. it is then flushed with water.. there is a small drain hole that can get clogged below the heater/ac core

The core has good water flow, as does the AC system!

My problem is I HAVE VERY LITTLE AIR FLOW thru the AC & heater core. could there be a door beside the Blend Door, or do I have debris blocking the cores.

If I have debris blocking the cores, how do I get it out with out removing the dash and evacuating the freon and removing the ventlation system?
Old 10-28-2012 | 02:03 PM

there could be debris blocking, but you would most likely hear it rubbing against the blower motor... you can try dropping the blower motor and use a shop vac to suck any loose debris from the housing.. then you could try blowing compressed air "out" of the vent to try to push any debris back out.. you can also try the cleaner I posted above and coat the core with it then rinse with water... none of the above requires you to pull anything out... if that doesn't work you'll have to pull the dash and look for any more doors... or if you think the core is still dirty you'll have to replace it.... both are a complete pita
Old 10-28-2012 | 03:17 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
How about a vacuum leak. The whole system is operated off of it. you should see 22-25 psi of level if its tight.
Old 10-28-2012 | 03:34 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Remove the fan motor and squirrel cage and rotate it, it should be easily moveable. Often the bearings tighten up so the motor will not spin freely, the only other thing that can restrict airflow is if the evaporator core fins are plugged with debris on the inlet side.
Old 10-28-2012 | 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
Remove the fan motor and squirrel cage and rotate it, it should be easily moveable. Often the bearings tighten up so the motor will not spin freely, the only other thing that can restrict airflow is if the evaporator core fins are plugged with debris on the inlet side.
Fortunately the motor and speed control work great, is the motor accessed from under the hood thru the firewall?

I have already changed my dash once (Thanks Dodge for the lousy plastic dash!) I'll do with out heat or ac before I'll pull it again.
Old 10-28-2012 | 06:29 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

HVAC motor is against the right side of passenger compartment, behind the glove box. Removal is a 10 minute job.
Old 10-28-2012 | 06:33 PM

sounds much easier to get to than I thought, my jeep is under the battery tray!
Old 10-29-2012 | 10:44 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
HVAC motor is against the right side of passenger compartment, behind the glove box. Removal is a 10 minute job.
Yeh it's easy to remove. It's supposed to be smooth if it's notchy or stiff replace it but be careful removing the squirrel cage they break easily.
Old 10-29-2012 | 11:24 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

When I replaced mine last year, folks on here advised me that this is one of the parts you are actually best to get from the dealership. I guess that, kind of like our starters, the quality of the auto-parts replacements isn't up to snuff.

BTW - I am referring to the blower motor.

Quick Reply: Heater/AC airflow problem