24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Headlight Issue and Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Issue and Loss of Power

This is my first post so I hope I am doing this right. I'm actually trying to get some help for my boyfriend while he is at work. His headlights are not working. The running lights work, but the high/low beams don't. He replaced the multi-function switch yesterday, but still no lights. There isn't any melting issues as I've read have been happening to other people so I was hoping someone had other ideas as to what is wrong.

The second problem is also another common problem I read about. When driving a distance over 30 miles he loses power until he downshifts. Then the problem is gone and doesn't come back. Sounds like the IP is going or needs to be replaced. He was thinking that he should just get the Edge to monitor it until it goes. Is this the best thing? Or would someone suggest just replacing the IP first?

Thanks in advance for your help and hopefully I didn't mess this up. The year on the truck is a 98.5.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your post looks fine,except for the missing signature.Go to your user CP. Usually both hi/low dont work because 1 small wire burns off right at the terminal behind the black cover on the connector that plugs into the dimmer/wiper switch. This wire is of a small guage which is why it it prone to failure. After removing the switch and unplugging it, the black cover un snaps, and you can have a good look at all the wires and make sure they are still attached to their terminals.If you find a thin wire cot connected, you've found your problem. Good luck.