24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket?

Hello fellow Cummins owners, I think I'm having alittle trouble from my 00 Cummins. I put an Edge comp box on it Saturday morn, I also had an adj. boost elbow on it. I was testing the new box out, had it on 5x5 I looked at my pass. mirrior then back to the road then over at boost gauge, I was at 42psi. I kinda panicked and pushed the clutch in. I think by the way it sounded I barked the turbo. I then went back to the shop and changed elbows, and put the one on that edge supplyed with the box. Everything seemed ok, then the other day going to work(box on 3x5). I started smelling antifreeze, I came back home and smelled nothing. I thought no biggy, just an one time thing. Then I pulled out of the driveway this morning I saw were it looked an puddle of something had been under my truck. I went on thought nothing about it, as I went to work today I fliped the box on, 3x5, and almost all the way to work I could smell it again. I ran the truck with the box off when I come home from work so, I ran it down to shopping mall and got my flashlight out and looked at it. Now it looks like its seeping on the back of the block on the pass. side and a few other places on the same side. Now down next to the oil pan its still alittle damp, but up on the block it was dry, but you could tell where it had seeped alittle. Also when I was coming up the road I was rolling about 50 MPH, and just laid in on it,(box off) and it got up to about 2000rpms and started surgin alittle, it also seemed alittle slow at that speed. Now I dont have a fuel pressure gauge so I cant tell what that is doing. Sorry for being so long on this but I wanted to tell the whole story on what happened to it. What should I do next to it? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-2006, 02:35 PM

What was the puddle under your truck? Also unplug the comp completely and see if that makes a difference in power/surging.

Regards,
Gene
Old 02-25-2006, 12:02 AM

The puddle as bad as I hate to say it was coolant. I havent run the box today, but I did run the truck. I have blown the head gasket. I even had to drive dad's chevy to work. I called Peirs and Power by Poole, I talked to them about studs and O Ringing the head, The best price I got was right at 1k for them and a head gasket. I'm thinking real hard about putting it back stock and pulling the plug on the box. Does that price seem about right? What kind of an project am I looking at by R/R the head? Also I was told to use nothing less than Cummins parts when messing with something like this. Oh well I reckin what they say is true, You gotta pay to play.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:08 AM

I think the price is about right. I have not changed the studs or O'ringed my head so I don't know much about the process. Maybe some of the others will chime in. Good Luck

Gene
Old 02-25-2006, 06:51 AM

I believe it books for 10 or more hours
gasket $120
studs ARP under $500
deck the head about $150
plus new coolant and oil
oring of head $400
not having my truck for over a week priceless
did this job twice in 4 months leads to a lot of
Old 02-25-2006, 09:14 AM

wow, I only paid $69 + tax for my head gasket last Friday
Old 02-25-2006, 10:58 AM

I just called the local Cummins dealer, price for an head kit, $168.67 in stock.
Local NAPA $474.00 take two weeks to get it. Umm sounds like someone is tryin to break it off in sombody. I reckin I'm going to get my nerv up and tear into it today. I think I have learned my lesson.....this time.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:38 AM

$168 is for the whole top gasket kit, All you need is the head gasket, about $69. Unless you are building a brand new engine, you don't need the whole thing
Old 02-26-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if he could get by with studs and a marine gasket? deck the head of course, do everything right.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:53 PM

Well, I have found where my leak is coming from. Thank goodness it isnt the head gasket. There is an freeze plug on the pass. side in the rear of the head its 1/2" to 3/4" big, It has an pin hole in it. How did it get a hole in it? Heck if I know the coolant checked -25f so I dont belive it poped from the cold. So I'm at the shop trying to fix this darn thing. Its a bear and a half. What is the diffrence in the marine gasket and a reg. one? I was told that if I had to take it down to put studs in it. But dang $435, that hurts.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:03 PM

Oh yea one more thing. I was told that with my setup,(SuperChips tuner, Edge comp box) that I'm going to blow the head gasket. Now I know I have run the boost high two times. I dont run it above 35psi and above 1200 on the pyro. The superchips is on high, and box is on 3x5. Is this a danger area?
Old 02-26-2006, 04:16 PM

from reading post on the site, i have gathered that it is not good to run a superchips programer along with a comp or any other type of box that adds timing. It is just to much timing and might explain some surging ect. The comp adds timing along with fuel and the superchips also adds timing. If u want to run the superchips, i would sell the comp and get a fuel only box like a tst, or remove the superchips program and only run the comp. I have seen a couple of people run both, but i would not run both on my truck
Old 02-26-2006, 05:04 PM

Well I guess what gets me is that when I was shopping around for my edge box, I asked everyone if it would hurt to stack them, what was I told, Oh no aint nothing to worry about it will be fine. I understand people have to make money but when you ask 6-10 diesel shops if this combo. will hurt anything and all you hear is no, makes you look at who you are buying parts from. I have never really looked at an TST box can anyone feel me on it? Should I take the wire off the pump if I want to run the two I have? When these promblems showed up last week I cut it off, so it hasent been on.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:43 PM

I would remove the superchips program and run only the comp itself. The comp acts both as a timing box and a fueling box. If you only run the comp, you will be fine to hook the wire back up. Also i see that you ran at 42psi which should not hurt your stock head gasket, i run my truck at that amount of boost, but only when she is good and warmed up
Old 02-27-2006, 02:43 AM

I've been running the same amount of boost for a year and have had absolutley no problems. I only run it hard after I've been driving around and the temp is at 190.

Eric

Quick Reply: Head Gasket?