24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hard to start, runs, but then dies after 5mins

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to start, runs, but then dies after 5mins

I have a 99 dodge 24v diesel. The truck recently stopped running. It would not start when it was warm (73F). I added some diesel addivtive and it is hard to start but will get running. This was when it was cold out (30F). The truck would run like normal, so I let it idle. After about 5 minutes the truck stalled out and would not start back up. No engine codes. I let it sit for about a week and went back to start it again. Same thing with it being hard to start but it started and idled fine. There was an excessive amount of white smoke this time. The truck idled for about 5 minutes again then dies. I tried to start it right after the stall and it started up but then ran for about 2 minutes, stalled and I could not start it again.
I have replaced the VP44, lifter pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, serpentine belt, etc back in July. It was running really good until december then it died again.
Fuel pressure was good off the lifter pump.
Any ideas would be greatly appriciated.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:16 PM

Welcome .
You might want to do a search here , I've read that symptom a few times lately , do not remember the replies .
Then in what order were those parts put in , what I do remember from many posts with the VP pump , it seems like the lift pump goes , truck still runs but noticeably different , so they get it looked at , back to normal , then the VP fails , seems that the LP takes out [ shortens the life ] the VP .
somebody should chime in and have more info for ya soon .
Do you have fuel pressure gage in the truck ?
Now that your here , you may notice at the bottom of every bodies 1st post , that there truck is listed with spec.s & mods , so we can get a better idea of what your issues are , and for some its just another competition .
Old 02-05-2007, 01:30 PM

I was thinking it was the VP44 but I wasnt sure since there wasnt a code this time. Last time my code scanner picked up IP timing failure and turbo overboost, and a slew of others. The pump is still under warranty but the place I bought it from wants engine codes to do a warranty replacement. I wasnt sure if it was something else like the injectors themselves, etc...

No fuel pressure gauge in the truck

BTW: serpentine belt, then replaced the fuel lines, then VP44 and lifter pump at same time.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 PM

Has the engine ran correctly since you replaced the VP? Or have you replace it trying to get it running?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No fuel pressure gauge in the truck
Thats the forst item i would have. You need to verify your fuel pressure before blaming the VP44. You may have no pressure from a bad line to a plugged tank screen to a bad lift pump. Get a guage on it now.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:50 PM

The truck was running like it was brand new after I replaced the VP44. Then it just wouldnt start that in December, it was a warm day (~70F).
Old 02-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xfeastonarsex
The truck was running like it was brand new after I replaced the VP44. Then it just wouldnt start that in December, it was a warm day (~70F).

That means nothing. As said you need to verify fuel pressures. A lot of rebuilders wont warranty a failed VP44 when they figure fuel starvation ruined it. A fuel pressure guage works as a diagnostic tool as well as a monitoring device alerting you of loss of fuel pressure. Consider yourself warned.