24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hard to start once warm

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to start once warm

I have a '99 Ram 2500 24V Diesel (obviously). I recently replaced the starter (unrelated) and then decided to replace the fuel filter which I had not yet done. Upon doing so, I found the fuel lift pump (transfer pump) was not functiong properly b/c it wouldn't prime the system. So, I paid the handsome sum of $270 and the truck appeared to be fine.

A few days later, my brother drove it, the first time at length since I had repaired it and we found out that the truck is very hard to start once it's been warmed up. At a cold crank, it does okay (not as good as it used to be). But when warm, it can take up to 10 or 15 5-second attempts to get it started.

I'm concerened about what the problem could be now.

I've replaced the fuel transfer pump and the fuel filter. I've run nothing but diesel in the engine. Any suggestions? I've probably run it a total of 8 hours since repairing it and would assume all of the air is out of the system.

Thanks for any help anyone might have.

Bryan
Old 08-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your probably looking at a VP44 malfunction. This probably occured since the lift pump was not working. A good check when it is hard to start is to unplug the lift pump and try starting it. Usually it will start up with it unplugged, then just plug it back in. This is a good indication of a gaulded injection pump.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no shutdown solenoid on a VP44. I hate to say it, but it sounds like the pump is on it way out. Hard starts when warm is a sure sign of a worn out pump.

Best of luck with it.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:17 AM

So, do I or don't I have a good way of checking if my Injection Pump is going out. I assume the VP44 is the injection pump. I have no idea.

Where is a good place to get a VP44 and what is the price range I'm looking at. Is it easy enough to intall? I've pulled trannies and heads etc, but since I don't actually know WHAT the VP44 is, I don't know anything about it. I DO know where the injectioni pump is.

Again, I did replace my liftpump. It's external and mounted just below and behind the filter bowl. I also just replaced the starter. That went well, and the truck appeared to be functioning properly right after doing that and right before I replaced the fuel filter which turned out to really mess up my day, because that's when I found out about the liftpump. I have a little over 300K miles on this truck. It runs through tires and brakes like it does diesel.

Any help you all can provide is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

1999 Dode Ram, 2500, 5.9L 24V TurboDiesel, Stock. 2WD.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 AM

Hoesli Diesel is the cheapest I've seen, @ $1,200 for a reman.
1-800-487-1001

The VP44 is the injection pump, the handsome bugger. If you can, run diagnostic codes or go to Autozone and have them do it. The P2016 (I think) is the surest sign you're losing your pump.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:00 PM

I have heard rumors that www.cumminsstuff.com has good prices but couldnt give you an exact quote. They have a Phone # on the website to call to get prices.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:10 PM

I have recently had my lp and my injection pump both replaced. I am having the same problem with my truck. My mechanic said that the lp relay has a problem and isn't working just right since both have been replaced. I replaced the relay and the problem isn't noticable right now. If you need a lp let me know I can prob get you a new one from Cummins for under $200 bucks.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:14 PM

Hard to start when warm

My 99 Cummins diesel had a hard to start when warm problem for about 4 months. Someone(I think on this form) suggested it was the VP44 injection pump.

I finally confirmed my problem while going down the freeway at about 85 MPH, and about 200 miles away form home after dark, all of the sudden the engine STOPPED! It simply died and coasted(auto trans). I first had it towed by AAA to a Cummins dealer. They said they would trouble shoot it for me for about $300, and if it was the injection pump it would be about $1900 to have them replace it. I told them I really could not afford that much. So the shop manager and lead mechanic came out loosened one of the injectors hit cranked the starter and no fuel. Did the same out of the lift pump and lots of fuel. They told me they were 99.9% sure it was the injection pump(VP44). Then the mechanic gave me detailed instructions on how to remove and install a new pump, and what special tools I would need. They were both very nice and very helpful! (Cummins West in Sacramento CA) They did all this for me free of any charge for there time.

I then had it towed to a relative's house in that area. When I got home searched the internet for the best price I could find, and found a place called "Edwards Equipment" in Granbury TX, that sells certified Bosh rebuilt pumps for $975 + $21 shipping to the my work address.(Plus a $400 core charge that was refunded) When I bought mine in June 2005, they did not have much of a web site, and you had to order by telephone.(817) 573-7755.

It was not an easy job to replace, but it really wasn't that bad if you are comfortable with working on your engine. The main reminder everyone said was to be extremely careful handling the high pressure lines, because if the get tweaked at all you have to replace them and the cost a lot.

I did not have a fuel pressure gauge, but I figured I don't want to do this again anytime soon, so I got a new lift pump also as it had the original with 115,000 miles on it. (I know, I need to get a fp gauge soon!) Edwards Equipment did not stock the lift pumps at the time, so I got one for $175 at the Cummins dealer. (The guy in front of me at the Cummins counter was buying a lift pump for his 99 Dodge too!)

Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Banned

I got a quote for $1600.00 on a new vp44
Old 09-09-2005, 06:54 PM

i agree also VP44 time!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:59 PM

i also had the same problem with mine. i had no gauges at the time and everyone told me it was the vp-44. and it might actually be the vp in your situation, but it wasn't on mine. there is a tsb on hard starts at normal operating temperatures on the earlier 24v's. they will give you the engine serial numbers it affects. mine was affected. it was a $75 reflash at the dealership and it was a night and day difference after that. nect had the problem again. go to www.dodgeram.org , which is fritz's site. go under tsb's on the left. go under performance and it is tsb number 18-015-00 rev. A. this was my problem. my truck was very hard to start before and one time would not restart at lowe's and i had to use starting fluid to get it to fire. truck ran great once cranked but after it would warm up, and you went to shut it off, it would not start for nothing. started up just fine cold. hope this helps you out. it saved me alot of cash and added frustration awhile back
Old 09-09-2005, 07:38 PM

Run the codes, I had the same warm start issue and came up with the p-2016 code.
$1600 for a pump from Blue Chip Diesel and $200 for install. If you decide to do it yourself be very careful with the keyway placement. If its not in properly and you turn her over you'll be picking up your tools in the neighbors yard.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:16 PM

Diesel Injection Service in Louisville i think was $1240 Plus tax plus core
502-361-1181 One year unlimited miles warranty
Old 09-09-2005, 10:24 PM

Same symptoms as mine. Remand Bosch VP44 @ DK Diesel in Watertown South Dakota.......$1370 installed.

I've been driving the truck for a couple of weeks now, and can say it's a totally different truck. Less smoke, more power, no dead pedals, no hard starts......even seems to shift smoother. Finally half way pleased with the truck......knock on wood. lol.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:17 AM

There are a couple of bad engineering problems with this truck.

The one that kills most is that they put an electrical fuel lift pump next to the engine(that and its a pump designed to push not pull the fuel). If you move this back away from the engine (nice little spot next to the fuel tank on the outside of the frame you can mount it on).

Two, the FPCM(Fuel Pump Control Moduel) is right on top of the VP44 and that is right next to the engine and it shorts(due to the heat) and blows up the pump. I am going to move the FPCM off the VP44 as soon as I get a chance, after I install it that is.