24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hard mounting the block heater cord

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard mounting the block heater cord

Took my first trip with my "new" truck over the weekend. I forgot to tuck the block heater plug back under the hood before I headed out. By the time I noticed it and gave it a second thought, I could see the scuffs in paint on the bumper where the plug was flopping around in the breeze. This gave me the idea of hard mounting the block heater plug. I have the Sport package and between the air intake slots in the facia and the factory driving lights, there is another set of round holes. These holes do not appear to be air intake holes since they are outside of the cooling cores. I'm thinking that this is the perfect spot to hard mount the plug... I want to make a bracket to attach the male end of the 110 cord so that you just take the female end of the extension cord and plug it into the hole. A female cord end with the openings siliconed up should make a good dirt cap.

Anybody else done this? Post up some pics if you got 'em...
Old 01-19-2004, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A better solution is to use a proper recepticle....like the one on the following link:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...r&pagenumber=1

Sorry, I looked for the other link that told where to get one...I will keep searching.....
Old 01-20-2004, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
A better solution is to use a proper recepticle....like the one on the following link:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...r&pagenumber=1

Sorry, I looked for the other link that told where to get one...I will keep searching.....
I kinda like that idea............Looks good and clean.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:33 AM

Truck plug

her's the install info for a Ford.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did some looking around and finally found the right block heater inlet plug to suit my needs. I found it at my local GMC truck dealer in the Volvo parts book. There was a chrome version and a zinc plated version but they only had the chrome one in stock. I wasn't too keen on the idea of drilling a big hole through my front facia to mount it and it would look pretty stupid with the chrome housing on a dechromed Sport trim package so I hid it. I fabbed up a bracket out of a scrap of 1/4 plate I had laying around and bolted it to the support structure for the facia. I put some split loom over the cord where is passes through the hole in the body to eliminate chaffing. It looks like it would be a PITA to plug the cord in, but it's actually really easy. I can just kneel down without putting a knee on the ground, reach under the facia and plug the cord in.... works for me....

Part number: PHT8605688