24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hard Hot Start (Now Cold Too), Bad Miss, Big Headache

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Hot Start (Now Cold Too), Bad Miss, Big Headache

Ok, the title says it all. I've been watching numerous similar posts trying to get this figured out.

It began with a hard hot start, better if I let sit for 10 seconds with key on but still not what it should be. Cold was good.

This went on for awhile and I did the return line checks etc with no indication of a leak.

Recently, after a cold start she bucked and popped and stalled. Would start back up immediately run for 15 seconds and have another fit and stall. If I could keep it running, all would be well after it warmed up. One thing to note, there was popping almost like a backfire but not quite. Maybe timing....VP44, return line and check valve replaced in February.

And so that went on for a few days. Good cold start, hissy fit then ok once it got to operating temps.

This has now progressed. My cold starts spin and spin, very hard to get going and still the hissy fit. It does clear up after temps come up.

So.....I thought I would test fuel lines again before taking the walk to our local Cummins shop. If I put a 3-5 psi air supply into the fuel tank, do I risk any damage? push fuel into the head (oil pan) via the return line?

I'd like to do this to encourage a leak if there is one since it doesn't take much to be a problem.

I don't know if these are related problems, just want to cover all bases before opening the wallet.

Taz
Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Do you have any codes showing up? What color smoke if any while it is missing?

I don't know what pressurizing the tank would do.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:19 PM

No codes, black smoke.

Taz
Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Just for giggles, I cycled the FASS for 4 cycles and cracked the supply banjo at the IP while cold. I drained about a cup of fuel looking closely for bubbles or spurts.....none.

The truck did start right up but went into it's hissy fit right away and stalled. Started right up again and died a few more times. I managed to keep it running to operation temp and it settled down. Not entirely miss free but barely noticable. Shut it off, waited 2 minutes and tried to start again. rolled about 5 seconds or so and caught. No change there, I was thinking maybe a supply line slug of air or something.

Incidentally, could this be a valve adjustment issue......
Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Do you have a code reader/scan tool that reads your sensors?

I would also repeat your experiment, this time crack the return line banjo instead and look for air and bubbles.\

I doubt it is the valves but if your in the mood to adjust them have at it. It certainly won't hurt anything.

P.S. Have you tried it without the Edge EZ?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:35 PM

No codes on 3130 scanner.
No diff with/without EZ (which is new btw)
Old 07-09-2010, 05:28 PM

So.....here we go again. Cummins Insite reports intermittent supply voltage for Vp44. We decide to put a breakout box on it to isolate from the ECM and any voltage gremlins. Still has a hissy fit. (does it all the time now)

VP dead again. This one has 8,000 km on it......hardly got the tools cleaned up from the last one.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tazman
So.....here we go again. Cummins Insite reports intermittent supply voltage for Vp44. We decide to put a breakout box on it to isolate from the ECM and any voltage gremlins. Still has a hissy fit. (does it all the time now)

VP dead again. This one has 8,000 km on it......hardly got the tools cleaned up from the last one.
At least VP is under warranty. Changing it is easier the 2nd (or 3rd) time. I'm learning to hate these idiosyncrasies. Anyone wanna buy an 00 with new MWFI VP?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Taz, don't feel bad. I had a Reman VP go out in 821 km one time. It happens and life goes on. Did I mention, it also sucks. The VP was on there for 6 days. Not much life to say the least. I have had another bad reman on the truck, lasted 11 months.. This one has lasted a couple years now.

Just go with the flow. I don't see a lot of advantages over one brand to the other with remans, however, useful knowledge. Most pump shops, will do a parameter test on the electronic end of the pump, if it passes, they don't change the box, just the hard parts. If you request a complete rebuild, which means a new pump driver module as well, then you will get a decent pump 99% of the time.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:16 AM

Update:

Vp was swapped out with a "reman in USA" version. Instant start after bleed and all has been perfect since. Truck starts and runs like a champ.

Taz