24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Guys I want to straight pipe my rig...what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Guys I want to straight pipe my rig...what to do??

Allright, I just got an extended inspection sticker to '06. I figured I have an opportunity to staight pipe my rig. Question is will I get hounded by the cops,troopers,or anyone else that has a car with flashing lights and a ticket clipboard??

I like to be considerate of the neighbors, how loud would this thing be going about 15-25mph into a development?? I have heard only 2 staight piped CUmmins and both of them were being mashed down.

WOuld I be able to "slip" into my drive at 1-2am in the morning??

I am a new resident and the youngest as well so I do not want to look like a total moron or white trash. Plus a cop resides on my street. Like right across the street.

My wife was already upset at me for banging my cowbell on New Years Eve

Any advice??
Old 02-20-2004, 01:51 AM

You shouldn't have any problems, if your not in it driving down the road, which you won't be You shouldn't have any emisions problems without a muffler, it's just going to run a little cooler and have a tad more response, no big deal, it's not much louder unless you want it to be, hell nobody will probally notice You know what they say, mufflers are for ------
Old 02-20-2004, 01:59 AM

Straight piped or not, your NOT sneaking anywhere at 2am Just ease out of the sub-division when going to work in the A.M. or you will look like the

I don't see the problem, go for it. I just went to a local muffler shop and had them hack it off and weld up a straight pipe.......$65.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:36 AM

go straight pipe, you wont regret it. That is the start of a bombing bug
Old 02-20-2004, 11:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would suggest holding off on the straight pipe.

Don't get caught up in the "it's cool" peer pressure. Fact is, a LOT of people who straightpipe end up with a nasty drone that drives them nuts. Guess what? They end up putting on a muffler anyway.

If you get a high-quality muffler, you won't have the drone issues as much, and you won't really be giving anything up over a straightpipe.

Bottom line is this: the "improvements" of straightpiping are SO subtle and SO slight (IF ANY AT ALL) compared to the HIGH probably that you won't like the drone.

The restriction to exhaust is NOT from the muffler-- it's more from the weenie turbo housing that comes stock and the small 3" pipe used.

So when you go to a straightpipe, you create more problems (drone, noise) than you solve, because the problem with the stock system is NOT the muffler.

If do still go with a straightpipe, at least keep the resonator.

Save yourself a headache and upgrade your exhaust to a 4" instead of straightpipe.

EDIT: by the way, a straightpipe SCREAMS white trash like a 70's rustbucket Camaro with different color bodypanels and a jacked up rear end.
Justin
Old 02-20-2004, 11:31 AM

yes get stright pipes

I have stright pipes and unless u step on it, it's no louder. It kinda sounds like a 18 wheeler at the back end. yet when u dod step on it, it sounds mean.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:07 PM

EDIT: by the way, a straightpipe SCREAMS white trash like a 70's rustbucket Camaro with different color bodypanels and a jacked up rear end.
Justin

__________________________________________________ _______________

I guess a lot of people must have trucks that scream white trash then Why would you make a comment like that when theres 100s of people on here that have strait pipes? I agree that a full 4in. exhaust would be better, but it would still be strait piped even if I went that way.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:22 PM

since noise is your main concern, you could always cut the muffler off and leave the resonator. Itll quieter than a full straightpipe, you shouldnt get any drone, and you still have some muffling device under there for legal purposes.

personally, I like my straightpipe.......but thats just me (and i dont like my neighbors anyways )

Jeff
Old 02-20-2004, 04:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn81
Justin

__________________________________________________ _______________

I guess a lot of people must have trucks that scream white trash then Why would you make a comment like that when theres 100s of people on here that have strait pipes? I agree that a full 4in. exhaust would be better, but it would still be strait piped even if I went that way.
Sorry for the lame attempt at humor I will have to stick to other things, maybe?

Justin
Old 02-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put a set of these on, they don't attract any attention at all.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1
Old 02-20-2004, 04:42 PM

Shaders, from my own personal experience I'd recommend leaving the resonator on. Straight pipe sounds cool, but there is a difference no matter how light you are on the throttle. A neighbor of mine noticed the difference at warm-up time when I went with the resonator, he lives a block away.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Administrator

I left my resonator in too, just in case.

I don't notice anything different, sound wise, idling in the driveway, or slowly pulling out of the neighborhood.

Neighbors "complained" when I first got it, didn't hear much from them after I got the mufflerectomy, so they must not notice a difference.

Don't really notice anything going down the highway either.

Until I pull up next to the sound wall, or go through an underpass, then it sounds great.

No drone, but then I don't tow either.

I'd just be light on the go pedal when a nice law enforcement officer is sitting in your right blind spot.

phox
Old 02-21-2004, 12:29 AM

First: Thanks for all the responses so far!!

Second: Where is the resonator located?? I am new to this so please excuse me. I finally have a house with a big driveway that I can get under the truck and check these things out.

About the 01 I saw straight piped, the guy only straight piped a section from where the muffler was up to the down pipe. He left the stock exit pipe. It has the sound of those triple axle dumptrucks and I love that.

I have seen CTD's without any visible exit pipes too

Diesel Dude, I would love to do stacks but right now I have a cap. My wife has been driving mine to work this week and she loves it. I am hoping to keep my 02 stock (except a BHAF or a 4" exhaust) and buy another Cummins with high miles though, and bomb the heck out of it. Stacks would be the first thing to go on it.

HOHN: I apprecitate your humor! You gotta love primer painted cars from the 70's esp when they sit for years in the driveway and then finally parts start coming off.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:04 AM

If you're under the truck, the resonator is the first "can" you see after the engine, a little bit further back than where the cat would be on a gasser. The muffler's the big one back under the bed.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:04 AM

Truck must have been "touched" by someone before. It has no resonator.... just the muffler near the back under the bed.

Quick Reply: Guys I want to straight pipe my rig...what to do??