24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

grinding feeling/noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinding feeling/noise when turning

I've been feeling/hearing a grinding for the last 6 months or so from what seems to be the rear end. It seems to be getting worse. I can actually see the glass in my outside mirrors shaking when I make slow right or left turns. I've changed the fluid twice now in this time span and put in friction modifier each time. What could be causing this? Could there be a problem with the internals of the rear end?

Mark
Old 05-13-2007, 09:53 AM

Anybody have any advice for me?

Mark
Old 05-13-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
i posted this several years ago, here it again......
here`s a new twist on the sealed wheel bearings on my 01 3500 .... (rwd) I noticed a strange noise when turning left, the noise would go away when I applied my brakes. so I figured it`s time to replace at least the front pads. but when I jacked it up , I found a real loose wheel bearing ... fearing the bearing had gone out, I proceeded to dismantle it (drivers side) Imagine my surprise when I started to remove the bearing nut and found it loose !!! apparently the rotation of the forward motion had loosend the self locking nut.... If I had not caught it early on, It could have caused some real damage..... So here`s a word of caution to any body that has a rwd dodge with sealed front wheel bearings------check dhe drivers side nut. the self locking feature on mine failed ----- mileage is about 113K
Old 06-06-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
here`s a new twist on the sealed wheel bearings on my 01 3500 .... (rwd) I noticed a strange noise when turning left, the noise would go away when I applied my brakes. so I figured it`s time to replace at least the front pads. but when I jacked it up , I found a real loose wheel bearing ... fearing the bearing had gone out, I proceeded to dismantle it (drivers side) Imagine my surprise when I started to remove the bearing nut and found it loose !!! apparently the rotation of the forward motion had loosend the self locking nut.... If I had not caught it early on, It could have caused some real damage..... So here`s a word of caution to any body that has a rwd dodge with sealed front wheel bearings------check dhe drivers side nut. the self locking feature on mine failed ----- mileage is about 113K

I had the EXACT same thing happen on mine around 75k
Old 06-06-2007, 11:47 AM

Mine is a 4X4. Could this possibly be causing my issue?

Mark
Old 06-06-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im going thru that same problem.
are you sure its coming from the back and not the front?
mine sounded like the back brakes or axle and i stuck my head out the window with one ear facing back and one facing the front of the truck. the noise goes in and out while turning or braking. deffinately coming from the drivers side front ... either bearing or brakes.

plus it is making tons of heat, after a 30 min drive the front driver side wheel about burned off my finger tips... lol
Old 06-06-2007, 05:06 PM

b.lee,
Before I heard about the hub bearings possibly being the culprit, I just assumed it was the rear end. I haven't tried sticking me head out the window yet. Can you actually hear the noise coming from the front?

Mark
Old 06-17-2007, 08:25 AM

Did you ever find out what the noise was? Im going through the same thing, but its the rear end for sure thats making the noise/vibration....
Old 06-17-2007, 08:57 AM

No, not yet. Just haven't had time yet working 7 days a week lately. Next weekend I'm going to jack up the front end and see if there is any slop in the front wheels. I really don't want to take it to a mechanic since I don't know of any good ones in my area. I'll find out soon and post back.

Mark
Old 06-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnh
Definately wasn't the problem with mine. I had to use a 6 foot cheater bar and sit on it before it busted loose.