24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Great now I have problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Junk Man
Cummins and Bosch may have provided the engine and VP. What idiot placed the LP where it is sucking fuel instead of pushing it? It is PPoor design that does not take fluid dynamics into account. Also, tiny banjo restricted supply lines compound the problem.

VP is only 1 set of issues. Others are discussed in minute detail cracked dash, front end, death wobble, track bar failures, steering box failures.

I had a 93 Ferd with a 351 Windsor that had 300,000 + miles on it. There were none of these problems and repairs were significantly less expensive. Perhaps my repairs are because I bought a truck with deferred maintenance.
Regardless, I'm evaluating what I could buy with the sale cash + cost of what other repairs I expect. I haven't even gotten to the point of adding more power. Cost per mile is not inexpensive. I log all my repairs and fuel.
Yes, its makes one wonder if Bosch even knew what their VP44 needed to be as reliable as the engine or was there a major communication barrier between Cummins and Bosch regarding that issue. No matter, I think that you may have possibly gotten yourself a truck which was neglected and now you're having to bring it back up to your standards. Plus, it sounds like you're not one to mistreat your vehicle either.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't care I wanted a diesel and don't matter if the whole thing needs fixed I love this thing.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Junk Man
What idiot placed the LP where it is sucking fuel instead of pushing it?
That was Cummins also as it was used the same way in other applications. We used to use essentially the same pump on gassers back in the 60's and it was pure JUNK then. I think some of your anger is misdirected. Personally, I have 157,00 on mine and it has done very well so far. Hope I did not jinx it now.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can maintain 4 gassers for what this 1 cummin's has cost me. Not including my own labor as no one but me has turned a wrench on her since I bought her. Thing is as stated all the expenise broke down over 110,000 miles is not that bad just wish I would have been there for the first 100,000 miles and not the last 10,000 Nate