24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Great now I have problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by wyododge
That is interesting. my mechanic at home told me that the original VP's did not have a steel sleeve and this can, and generally does lead to a catastrophic failure, prior to that the pump can loose efficiency.

Not questioning you at all, as my knowledge of the inner workings of most of the components of our trucks is a mystery to me.

I have had the valve adjustment (suggested by guys here), installed a FASS after lift pump died (suggested by guys here), New cold air intake (yep again here). My boost is good, FP is good, but power and fuel mileage is lacking at best. 14 to 15 Highway, and can't hardly pass on a slight incline w/ empty truck (except me). Could possibly be APPS, or possibly MAP, but my mechanic told me 9 times out of 10 it is the VP, especially with a lift pump failure in the VP's history.

I am very interested to hear what you think.

Sorry for the hijack BG, but it all kinda ties together.
Yes, thats true about the sleeve causing poor fuel mileage and thats also one of the upgrades the new VP's get which goes to show how much of a problem the brass sleeve was. But it gets more complicated than that. The early VP's had poor quality control where excessive galling was evident which caused excessive friction and heat, which was also exaggerated by ULSD, eventually causing the rotor to seize. BUT then again, if your VP's timing piston is sloppy, then the diaphragm is probably torn which was both caused from lack of fuel head pressure, which would cause excessive vibration to the head and rotor, screw up fuel timing, which would cause the piston to basically beat itself up and eventually have the rotor seize. So in essence a worn out sleeve will cause poor fuel mileage but the thought logic that an old worn out VP will run poorly is kinda funny because the tolerances in there are extremely tight and there's very little room for error which means that if something mechanically goes astray then it simply will eventually fail mechanically. How long?.....thats another question. Now.....the issue with the computers lead free solder is a topic that will cause your truck to act funny. That there will cause a VP to act up. Over time the lead free solder deteriorates from high heat (heat cycles) which causes slight cracks in the solder resulting in sporadic intermittent connections. This will cause intermittent hard starts when cold and hot, white smoke on start up, dead pedal conditions, and eventually a full electronic failure which will leave the driver with a truck that shut down like the key was turned off. And it may not even leave a code either.

So dont think you're any dumber than the rest of us because you're not a professor on the inner workings of these trucks. Its crazy the places to look when one issue is occurring. Sure you can just starts replacing things left and right until you find out what the problem is but thats just not realistic. So we come on these forums and look to see if anyone else has experienced the same problems.....and hopefully figured it out. The MAP sensor can cause issues, the IAT sensor can get buggered up and cause poor mileage issue, the VP can be on its way out, the fuel pressure can be poor, the valves can need an adjustment. On and on it goes. My truck has never gotten the record mileage that others claim and I'm tired of looking for it. I've replaced the VP, have a great fuel pump, keep up with all my regular maintenance (and then some), and my fuel mileage isnt what I'd hope it to be. So I just drive it.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT!!! I will just pretend I understand.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

KATOOM,

Probably one of the best thought out, and logical posts I've seen. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Now I'm scared to drive home...

BG, I will report. I am gonna go ahead and bite the bullet. I am also gonna get timbo's APPS sensor.

Bad thing is I have a 550 mile drive to the house. Talk about riding with a tight sphincter!!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 PM

Now I'm scared to drive home...
Thats funny. Not because it is but because I've been there and it sucks. Reading these darned threads and thinking, "wow, hows my truck even running and should I even drive it again before I can afford to buy.....all.....the.....necessary.....stuff.....ju st so I can make it reliable. Ah, drive it and enjoy it. If you think your fuel system is sub par and you can afford it then fix it or not. Just dont be in denial. But dont let these threads give you a gut ache. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 PM

Yes it is isn't it.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 PM

Right up to the point your thumbing it down the highway...

but seriously this has been the best truck I have ever owned. It has never left me stranded (knocking on side of head), and has been very inexpensive to maintain. I am hoping that it will be last truck I buy. There are guys out there with unbelievable miles.

Mostly I have just done voluntary upgrades really. Even the brakes have done very well.

The VP is a pain, but I just kinda look at it as a maintanence item. I just wish they would build them so you could plug into them and get info off the puter without taking it out of the truck. I'm gonna go with blue chip. I have the money set aside, just kinda hard to let go of it!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 AM

I have the money set aside, just kinda hard to let go of it!!!
Just be happy you're one of the few who even has some.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:21 PM

I have way too much of it oh wait your talking about real money I am Monopoly.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned

but seriously this has been the best truck I have ever owned. It has never left me stranded (knocking on side of head), and has been very inexpensive to maintain. I am hoping that it will be last truck I buy. There are guys out there with unbelievable miles.

Mostly I have just done voluntary upgrades really. Even the brakes have done very well.

The VP is a pain, but I just kinda look at it as a maintanence item.
This has been the most expensive vehicle I've ever maintained. I think it is ridiculous the amount of expense we consider standard necessities to make them run ie gauges, fuel system, steering brace, track bar on and on. Even at that, you never know when it is going to crap out. More people replace steering boxes on these trucks than any other I've owned. Even with all new parts, other trucks steer better even though they have old worn parts.

I don't consider $1000 + $400 labor on a VP as "maintenance" on a common man's truck. Newer Mercedes or Infinity's GTR have some expense but it is not justified in a WORK truck. Dodge engineers should be unemployed for putting this crap out.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Junk Man
This has been the most expensive vehicle I've ever maintained. I think it is ridiculous the amount of expense we consider standard necessities to make them run ie gauges, fuel system, steering brace, track bar on and on. Even at that, you never know when it is going to crap out. More people replace steering boxes on these trucks than any other I've owned. Even with all new parts, other trucks steer better even though they have old worn parts.

I don't consider $1000 + $400 labor on a VP as "maintenance" on a common man's truck. Newer Mercedes or Infinity's GTR have some expense but it is not justified in a WORK truck. Dodge engineers should be unemployed for putting this crap out.
Um, if I'm not mistaken, Cummins built the engine and decided what IP to use, not Dodge.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Junk Man

With all due respect sir, my experience has been very positive. My dad had a ford diesel that was constantly breaking down. My cousin has a chevy (duramax) that has had transmission problems from the first day he drove it off the lot. My dad's ford had a glitch that made the horn honk when you press cruise control, three dealers couldn't figure that out, and it was a recall item. His ford also didn't pull near as well as my dodge. Those are his words, not mine.

I bought my truck new and have had very few REAL problems so far. Yes I have added a few things but I would have done that to any truck. As far as giving the truck pluses and minuses, I would say that I am still in the positive, mostly because of the engine, but that is why I purchased it in the first place. Could they have done better? Sure they could have, but there are very few vehicles that don't need some improvements. They built a truck within a price range with a required profit margin, just like all other manufacturers and in my opinion they did a darn fine job. If you take out tires, oil and brake pads, the things I consider wear items, I have spent very little annually on repairs. I have never figured it out, but it is low enough that it is not a major budgeting item. $1400 for a VP is alot, but averaged over the life of the truck, not that big of a deal. Still a pain in the rear I agree.

For what it's worth, my dad's ford was at least 10k - 15k more expensive than mine. He had fancy leather seats that didn't heat any more, heated rear view mirrors that didn't work, had to unlock his power locks on the passenger side by reaching over, the rear power window failed, and a factory bed liner, but he hated his truck and used mine to haul hay every chance he could. He considers fords disposable trucks.

Just my experience
Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 AM

Junk Man, not that your opinion is unjustified nor has it gone on deaf ears since no one enjoys spending $1000-$1500 of their hard earned cash on a VP or aftermarket fuel system. But I think that the quick point Russ Roth made, where Cummins and Bosch gave Dodge an engine, which was also seen in many many other vehicles applications, was a good point, so dont put all the blame on Dodge for giving us a truck with the best darn engine out there.

And also, wyododge made some huge points too. ALL trucks have issues. For that matter, name a vehicle which hasn't. The most money I've spent on my truck, which I didn't want to spend was approximately $2000. Excluding the Raptor which I kinda enjoyed getting. Now, I've spent almost that again on other goodies but of course that was OK since I wanted to. But if I had to choose between my truck and another truck which got worse fuel mileage and pulled less weight, I'd choose mine. The only thing I could ask for is more room in the back seat but since my trucks paid for and I dont want new Mega cab payments, that will have to wait.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:40 AM

I haven't done these repairs yet but have most of them planned. I still think it was a good idea as compared to a new truck.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figure out your cost per mile and you'll see that it is an inexpensive truck, indeed. You have to remember, most vehicles will never see the far side of 200,000 miles and keep on chugging. Although I have spent a lot of cash over the past 9 years, my cost per mile is still cheaper, even including the original cost of the vehicle, than almost anyone I know. Yeah, you have to know how your truck actually works and be proactive, but the rewards, IMHO, are well worth it. That being said, I'm selling mine and buying a new 2011 to put a quarter million miles on that....
Old 08-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Banned

Cummins and Bosch may have provided the engine and VP. What idiot placed the LP where it is sucking fuel instead of pushing it? It is PPoor design that does not take fluid dynamics into account. Also, tiny banjo restricted supply lines compound the problem.

VP is only 1 set of issues. Others are discussed in minute detail cracked dash, front end, death wobble, track bar failures, steering box failures.

I had a 93 Ferd with a 351 Windsor that had 300,000 + miles on it. There were none of these problems and repairs were significantly less expensive. Perhaps my repairs are because I bought a truck with deferred maintenance.
Regardless, I'm evaluating what I could buy with the sale cash + cost of what other repairs I expect. I haven't even gotten to the point of adding more power. Cost per mile is not inexpensive. I log all my repairs and fuel.

Quick Reply: Great now I have problems