24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Great now I have problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I wondered if you crack the bleeder at the bottem of the fuel filter should it pump fuel out while cranking. It does when you turn the key to run while you are waiting for the wait to start light but when you crank it stops and starts again when the truck starts.

Oh and I just looked it up on KLM website they state a new version of the DDRP02 just came out for the 98-02 Diesels that flows 89 gph and 21 psi. But all the other sites still list it at 16 psi and 40 gph. Is the KLM performance bumping there numbers up?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:03 PM

Here's the add.

The FASS DDRP Doge Direct Replacement Pump was designed and manufactured by FASS to solve a know flaw in the fuel delivery system in the 1998.5 to 2002 Dodge Ram trucks equipped with the Cummins Turbo Diesel motor. Dodge manufactured approximately 450,000 trucks with a poorly designed fuel lift pump. The OEM pump will fail! Your only question is when it will fail. Eliminate this problem now by installing a FASS DDRP Doge Direct Replacement Pump for your 1998.5 to 2002 Dodge Ram.

The FASS DDRP 02 now flows fuel at the rate of 89 gallons per hour at 23 psi.
This is a dramatic increase over the OEM Carter lift pump that is prone to failure.

FASS DDRP 02 Installation Guide
FASS DDRP 02 PDF Installation Manual
Your Price: $274.55

In Mid August of 2009 FASS released a new product directory which has changed the name of almost all of their previous products. This new directory now has the FASS DDRP being renamed to the FASS DDRP 02. KLM Performance Inc. is proud to offer the FASS DDRP with FREE SHIPPING. Read below how the FASS DDRP can benefit your 1998.5 to 2002 Dodge Cummins 5.9L motor. For those truck owners that have Dodge Cummins trucks built between 1998.5 and 2002, your lift pump is a source of worry. Will it fail on your next road trip stranding you and your family on the side of the road? Will it fail on the way to work or an appointment and make you miss work? Dodge missed the boat on the design of their lift pumps on the 2nd generation Dodge trucks.

Frequent failures have left owners of these trucks with the question in the back of their minds - "When will it quit on me?" Some owners have had multiple failures on stock trucks and carry a spare in case of another failure. Read Below how the FASS DDRP is the answer.

FASS has the solution to the problem. FASS introduced the FASS DDRP - The FASS engineers realized that some customers did not need the full benefits of the more expensive FASS high-performance FUEL AIR SEPARATION SYSTEMS, not to mention the added installation time that is required. The FASS engineers also realized that customers wanted a simple bolt on system that required minimal installation time. In the fall of 2008, they introduced a direct replacement fuel transfer pump for ‘98.5-‘02 truck owners. Diesel Direct Replacement Pump for the 1998.5 to 2002 Cummins 5.9L motors.

If you're not ready to invest in a full FASS system, FASS now makes a replacement fuel pump that mounts in the stock location and connects to the stock fittings and connectors. In an hour or less of your time, you can eliminate the worry associated with the stock lift pump and vastly increase the reliability of your truck. The FASS DDRP also increases fuel flow by up to 33% above and beyond the capabilities of the OEM lift pump. If your still running the OEM lift Pump your running on borrowed time. Now is the time to upgrade to a FASS DDRP before your left stranded on the side of the road. The FASS DDRP also comes with a 4 year warranty (if you register your pump - 1 year if not registered). The FASS DDRP is available for $274.55 which is not a lot to pay for the peace of mind you get with a dependable lift pump. Eliminate the weakest link in your fuel system today!

FASS DDRP Benefits:

* FASS DDRP requires 30 minutes or less installation time.
* FASS DDRP mounts to the factory supplied bracket
* The FASS DDRP 02 now flows fuel at the rate of 89 gallons per hour at 23 psi.
* FASS DDRP provides a 33% increase in fuel delivery rate over the OEM pump design
* The FASS DDRP also provides better torque and engine response by insuring a constant reliable flow of fuel.
* DDRP is protected by a 4 year Warranty upon completion of Warranty Card
* DDRP is the only replacement pump available with a 4 year Warranty.
* FASS DDRP has a Gerotor that's almost imposable to fail other for any reason except for debris ingestion which makes a very efficient positive displacement pump.
* THE FASS DDRP is equipped with a Heavy Duty motor that is segregated from the fuel to prolong the life of the motor.
* The DDRP's Heavy Duty Motor uses over sized bearings on the motor shaft to make sure its well supported.
* THE DDRP's Heavy Duty motor provides High Torque to Gear Ratio to Insure Cold Weather Starts.
* The DDRP motor has more torque than the stock lift pump to ensure you don't have a problem with cold weather starts.
* DDRP draws around the same amount of amperage the stock pump does so it can make use of the wire harness.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by BigGreen
Well I wondered if you crack the bleeder at the bottem of the fuel filter should it pump fuel out while cranking. It does when you turn the key to run while you are waiting for the wait to start light but when you crank it stops and starts again when the truck starts.
If you open the drain valve on the filter housing and bump the starter, fuel will pour out in mass quantities. Kind of a messy way to see if your fuel pump is pumping but effective no less.

The way the fuel pump is supposed to work from the factory is:

Turn the key on and the fuel pump will run for about 1-2 seconds to bring the fuel system prime up and then shut off.

While cranking the engine, the fuel pump is supposed to run at half capacity during the entire cranking period.

When the engine starts the fuel pump pumps at full capacity until the engine is shut down.

If you bump the starter, the fuel pump will run for about 15-20 seconds.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:50 AM

Ok mine only does for a few seconds when you bump the starter. But running doesn't mean it has good pressure right.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:31 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Ok mine only does for a few seconds when you bump the starter. But running doesn't mean it has good pressure right.
Nope, thats why you really need to check operating pressure of the system. You can rig up your own mechanical fuel gauge for twenty or thirty bucks. You can attach it to the test port and see where you are at.

Or you might be able to give a local diesel mechanic 5 or 10 bucks to plug one of their test gauges on it, that's what I did.

Either way, you really gotta get more info to see what is going on in the system, to properly diagnose it.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 PM

This is the reason why gauges are almost a necessity. Unless you dont mind paying someone to diagnose your truck every time there's a problem.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:36 PM

Running doesnt mean good fuel pressure. Really need a fuel pressure reading asap.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:11 PM

Thanks ordered on the way. Only goes up to 30 psi hope that's enough.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Thanks ordered on the way. Only goes up to 30 psi hope that's enough.
That's plenty, I am assuming that your gauge goes up to thirty. My FASS runs at about 15 to 17. Idle, 10 to 13 WOT.

When you get it hooked up let us know what you got going on. Lots of REALLY smart guys on here. Good part is they are very glad to help!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 PM

Yeah the gauge I ordered goes to 30 psi I have learned so much in a short time due to this site and the other one dodgetalk I am on. This truck does not run like I expected but I love it. I might be having running issues also contributed to the lift pump. It feels like it is dead above 2000 rpm.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 PM

Just keep in mind that most of the posts here are guys needing solutions to problems. I was the same as you, Major OMG in the beginning.

Seems as though if you are having a fuel issue, that will be confirmed with your pressure gauge. A boost gauge will confirm a good turbo. Mine (stock) max's at 20. I have a very similar issue to you. Mine just does not have the jump it used to. I think my VP is wearing out. When I had my lift replaced my mechanic buddy told me to get ready for a vp replacement, they just can't handle starving for fuel.

You may be in the same boat sometime soon
Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Might be I guess time will tell.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:39 PM

30 psi fuel pressure gauge is plenty. When you get your fuel pump, my suggestions to you are to set it at about 19 psi idle and make sure it doesn't drop below 16 at WOT. So with that said, a properly working FASS, Airdog, or Raptor should sustain 3 psi difference and possibly up to 4 psi if you dont have the draw straw or full 1/2" lines and JIC all the way to the VP.

As for anyone feeling like their truck isnt as spunky as it was in the past, dont forget that the ISB Cummins wakes up considerably with a valve adjustment after about 125,000 miles. And the VP doesnt "wear out" either. It works or it doesnt and if its not working properly then you'd know it.

BigGreen, if you feel your truck is not performing and that the lift pump is contributing to any of that then I suggest you find out pronto. Check your fuel pressure. A weak lift pump is not something to leave until you feel like dealing with it because you will find yourself dealing with a failed VP too. Just a heads up.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by KATOOM

As for anyone feeling like their truck isnt as spunky as it was in the past, dont forget that the ISB Cummins wakes up considerably with a valve adjustment after about 125,000 miles. And the VP doesnt "wear out" either. It works or it doesnt and if its not working properly then you'd know it.
That is interesting. my mechanic at home told me that the original VP's did not have a steel sleeve and this can, and generally does lead to a catastrophic failure, prior to that the pump can loose efficiency.

Not questioning you at all, as my knowledge of the inner workings of most of the components of our trucks is a mystery to me.

I have had the valve adjustment (suggested by guys here), installed a FASS after lift pump died (suggested by guys here), New cold air intake (yep again here). My boost is good, FP is good, but power and fuel mileage is lacking at best. 14 to 15 Highway, and can't hardly pass on a slight incline w/ empty truck (except me). Could possibly be APPS, or possibly MAP, but my mechanic told me 9 times out of 10 it is the VP, especially with a lift pump failure in the VP's history.

I am very interested to hear what you think.

Sorry for the hijack BG, but it all kinda ties together.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:01 PM

Mine feels low power too and my millage is right with yours so keep me updated with what you find out.

Quick Reply: Great now I have problems