24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Good god I'm stupid

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good god I'm stupid

Okay, a FASS question for those of you who know anything about them. I got a new spring in today from them and decided to put it in, and although I was able to find lots of talk about changing a spring, I found nothing about where it went. Of course, I took apart the wrong part of the pump. I took the actual pump part off the base instead of the filter part. I'm guessing from the looks of the what I took off thats not where it goes.....

Now my question is this. The little gear thing on the pump can obviously only go one way, so thats no problem. The pump can only go back on one way. No problem. I saw where the small spring behind the plate thing was before it fell out, so again no problem. The problem is in trying to figure out where the little rubber ball bearing type piece goes? I can't for the life of me find a place that looks like somewhere it can call home? I don't wanna kick my pump back on until I figure it out, so if anyone knows, I'm all ears! Thanks....
Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tray
Okay, a FASS question for those of you who know anything about them. I got a new spring in today from them and decided to put it in, and although I was able to find lots of talk about changing a spring, I found nothing about where it went. Of course, I took apart the wrong part of the pump. I took the actual pump part off the base instead of the filter part. I'm guessing from the looks of the what I took off thats not where it goes.....

Now my question is this. The little gear thing on the pump can obviously only go one way, so thats no problem. The pump can only go back on one way. No problem. I saw where the small spring behind the plate thing was before it fell out, so again no problem. The problem is in trying to figure out where the little rubber ball bearing type piece goes? I can't for the life of me find a place that looks like somewhere it can call home? I don't wanna kick my pump back on until I figure it out, so if anyone knows, I'm all ears! Thanks....
That would be your check valve ball, goes on the end of the spring.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
That would be your check valve ball, goes on the end of the spring.
Which end of the spring? I'm assuming the "base" end, then the spring pushes off the plate that attaches to the motor?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:15 AM

Sounds about right. The spring is designed to keep pressure on the ball, and the ball will be resting up against a seat. When the pressure becomes greater than the spring, the ball leaves the seat to bleed the pressure back off.

Sounds like you found the right spring at least!

Without seeing it though, I'm not making any promises!
Old 06-28-2008, 12:40 AM

Stop taking things apart.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:42 AM

and although I was able to find lots of talk about changing a spring, I found nothing about where it went.
How did you know it was bad?
Old 06-28-2008, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by PChouinard
How did you know it was bad?
I got everything back together. Everything went just how I thought it did but I wanted to make sure before I ran the pump. The spring wasn't bad, I just wanted more than 12psi at idle as it was dropping to 9 WOT. They sent me another spring to bring the pressure up some and now I'm at 18 idle and 15 WOT which makes me feel much better.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PChouinard
Stop taking things apart.
What a terrible advice! For me it is half the fun in owning a truck, the second half is putting it back together and only the smaller, third half is driving it
Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
What a terrible advice! For me it is half the fun in owning a truck, the second half is putting it back together and only the smaller, third half is driving it

5/3rds of people don't understand fractions......

J/K!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:00 AM

Okay since I got a pm on this I realized that this thread hasn't really helped anybody figure out where that pesky little spring actually goes...

I'm gonna paste the exact words of Diesel-Dan so that others will know...

"OK......first the spring goes where the Return line meets the FASS pump. Remove the line and then the fitting and the spring is located under there. If it takes you more then 2 mins...something aint right...."
Old 06-30-2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeDawg2500
5/3rds of people don't understand fractions......

J/K!
Swore I would never type this abbr., but that there statement made me LOL.