24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Going to buy my first diesel (probably...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to buy my first diesel (probably...)

Well, after a lengthy search for an qualified truck, I think I've found what will probably be my first diesel: '99 4x4, quad cab, short-box, automatic, 3.55 anti-lock. From the title history, it looks to have been a corporate lease vehicle that's had a reasonably easy life. There aren't any holes in the bed for a fifth wheel hitch or goose neck ball. And the receiver hitch doesn't look like it's been used at all. The bed is scratched up quite a bit but that doesn't bother me too much at all.

I say it'll PROBABLY be my first truck as I still have to get the tranny checked out - that'll happen tomorrow. If my guy says it's good, then it's a "GO" to buy.

I had the engine checked out today and everything was mostly ok. There were a couple of error codes but nothing to be concerned about (says the diesel expert who checked the truck out). I was really dreading that the P0216 code was going to show but it wasn't there. That was my one of my big, major concerns and I was VERY happy to see that it didn't show. As I was talking to the guy about the fuel pressure problems with the 24V (which he was quite familiar with) he recommended that I install an auxillary pump in-line to help force-feed fuel to the lift pump and injector pump. He said he's done the mod on quite a few cummins trucks and said it would run about $400 installed. My question is this: has anyone else here on the forum installed something like this and, if so, is it a worth-while investment? I certainly don't want to have to throw down $1200 on a new injector pump. If this $400 will save me (or at least buy me some time), I'd be willing to do it if it's all he says it is.

Oh, by the way...guages will be the first after-market item(s) it gets - along with new 285's (I gotta get those stupid-looking 245's off of there!).

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:46 AM

That would depend on what he is putting on there. A lot of the guys here are going to the FASS system. You will have to call them I don’t know the prices. There should be someone along with the system to give you first hand knowledge.
Here is the info: http://www.dieselpp.com/
Old 03-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neal, I have the same truck. I would do a little checking on your own too. Take the hose off going to the turbo and inspect the blade wheel. There shouldn't not be a lot of play in the shaft. Also, do some reading on these forums about the #53 block.

As far as the lift pump goes. There is some good info over on the TDR web-site, about moving the lift pump from the stock location back towards the fuel tank. Here is the link http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...tion+lift+pump

I don't discredit the idea of the pusher pump at all, it's just this approach seems more logical to me.

I really like my truck as I'm sure you will. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2004, 11:55 AM

One more thing I meant to ask about...

This truck has the overhead computer and I really like it. But it only shows 10.9mpg average - is that right? If that's all it's gonna get, I'm gonna be a little upset (ok, a LOT upset). I'm hoping/planning on getting closer to 20mpg unloaded. From what I can tell, the truck is bone stock - not even an after-market air filter. Does the mpg move around while you're driving? I had it for about 1.5hrs yesterday and it stayed on 10.9 the whole time. Is the computer locked up? Is there a way to reset it?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:27 PM

Idaho Guy, my dad has the overhead computer on his 01. If you push in on both the buttons at the same time and hold it for I think 6 sec. not really sure (the display will start flashing). That should reset it. It is only an average of one tank. If you dont reset it everytime you fill up, I think it gets messed up, cause it is figuring your mpg based on the 35 gallon tank. Also, he has the Edge EZ in his truck, and that throws off the computers accuracy. It actually reads 1-3 mpg more now than he actually is getting. Oh yeah and be cautious about the distance to empty setting (sometimes it lies )!!!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idaho Guy, I wouldn't count on the computer to give you a accuate reading. Winter blend fuels play havoc with fuel mileage as well. I would do as Cummins66 recommends and reset the computer on your next fill up. I would also change your fuel filter unless you know for sure it's been changed recently. You can get the filters at Napa for a little cheaper than a dealer, takes about 15 min or so to change.

Mileage wise I usually get about 18-20 mpg running empy on the highway, averaged 13.5 pulling a light load around 3500 lbs.

Have fun with your new truck and don't let the bombing bug bite too hard!
Old 03-11-2004, 02:11 PM

I got the pusher pump, added about 5 lbs. of pressure across the board...just a quick .02
Old 03-11-2004, 03:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the same truck with 136,000 on it and she is running fine. I've never worried about the fuel pressure, just changed the filters and go. The milage computer works as stated above. To reset any of the numbers (trip, elapsed time, MPG, ect.) just hold both buttons down until it "clears". You can get the mileage computer to say you are getting 99 MPG if you clear it doing down hill with your foot off the peddle!

How many miles are on the truck you are looking at? And how much are they asking?

Putting on 285's is a great add on. Look at my pics. Your speedometer will be slow by 5 MPH so be careful.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:25 PM

The truck has 98k miles and, like I said, it looks like it hasn't seen a very hard life.

I'm going to be trading in my current '96 Chev so that throws a bit of a monkey wrench into the mix but the guy I'm dealing with is asking about $18,500 for the truck - not bad considering the demand for these trucks in my neck of the woods.

Another quick fuel-related follow-up question...my Chev has a 26 galllon tank but it's a short bed. The long bed Chev's come with a 35 gallon tank. Do the Dodge's have smaller tanks with the short boxes or is there just one standard size tank for all bed lenghts. Thanks.

Originally posted by Geico266

How many miles are on the truck you are looking at? And how much are they asking?

Putting on 285's is a great add on. Look at my pics.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:34 PM

I think short box Dodges have a 34 or 35 gallon tank.

Their setup is a little different then Chevy. My room mates short box Duramax only has a 26 gallon tank.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:01 PM

I wouldn't plan on 20 unless you have lots of open road running, because if you put in the city at all you will get 15-16.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:43 PM

Yea, that's what I meant - 20mpg or so on the open highway. I'm planning on about 16mpg city driving and 13-15mpg pulling our relatively light 5000lb camp trailer throughout the summer. Anything's better than the 8mpg or so I currently get towing the trailer with the Vortec 350.

Originally posted by Lrdchaos
I wouldn't plan on 20 unless you have lots of open road running, because if you put in the city at all you will get 15-16.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:04 PM

I believe the short beds have a 27 or 28 gallon tank. I know its less than the long bed.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:23 PM

I have a short bed and it says it has a 34 gallon tank, where the long bed has a 35.

I know what you mean my chevy 5.3 would get 8 and be a dog pulling my trailer, where this truck get 15 and has tons of power to spare
Old 03-11-2004, 05:28 PM

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Originally posted by Lrdchaos
...this truck get 15 and has tons of power to spare

Quick Reply: Going to buy my first diesel (probably...)