24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Glow Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glow Plugs

Back when we bought the truck it was getting pretty good mileage, mid 20s on a average mix driving. however its not my driver it was the mothers. She just bought one cuase she wanted a 3/4 ton and they got good mileage haha. But she never waited for the lights to go off. I hear thats bad on the blow plugs. its also got 105000 on it. HOw often should the glow plugs be changed?
Old 05-05-2003, 01:18 AM
Banned

Re:Glow Plugs

Glow plugs? What are those? You must be talking bout a PSD/Dmax. Cause a Cummins ain't got none partner. ;D
Old 05-05-2003, 01:22 AM

No glow plugs on these Dodges.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:12 AM

The Cummins 5.9B series does not use glow plugs, but rather a toaster like grid element which heats the air as it's pulled into the manifold. It's located on the engine assembly just below where the charge air enters the intake horn. It's a very reliable assembly, but they occasionally get stuck on when the relay fails.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:51 PM

See you learn something new every day. So then the question remains, could the cold starts ( not letting the grid thing warm up) screw it up?
Old 05-05-2003, 02:38 PM

It all depends on how cold it is where you are. I am not sure exactly how cold it has to be before it makes a difference but I am sure someone on here does. I always wait for the light to go out unless I have shut it off and it has only been off for a little while.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:21 PM

I don't wait for the light to go out before starting ever since the warm weather arrived, i think the heater is only to assist in cold weather. In the winter i don't think it would start without the heater. these things draw a lot of juice so i think the less you have to use em the better. I'm interested in what others have to say about this as i'm kinda new at this diesel stuff myself.<br><br> rob
Old 05-05-2003, 03:37 PM

unless its really warm i think it makes a diffrence. One watch the exhaust. the other. If i let the light go out it just starts up and does the diesel rumble. IF its cold. I get big shakes and vibrations for a couple seconds.... only a couple seconds but still dont think it could be good on them. Of course im depending on my old knowlage of glow plugs haha. and i have a lil RC truck that the plug needed to be warm on or i would waste the plug
Old 05-05-2003, 04:13 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

The mornings where I live are always fairly mild. I never even check to see if the light is on anymore, just jump in and start it up. So far no problems, no smoke nada. I do however let it idle for a minute before driving off.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:29 PM

We aint got no stinkin glow plugs!!! These be real diesels. Chevy uses Glow plugs, Not sure about the other guy, Mr. Ferd
Old 05-06-2003, 01:15 PM

Glow plugs? Grid Heaters ? What?<br><br>Naw, Don't need 'em. I ripped mine out about 3,000 miles ago. (I drive about 25-50miles a day).<br><br>Only thing I noticed.. It misses, stumbles, and is a LITTLE harder to crank when it's in the 30*'s. It smokes too,, but I have stacks,, so,, thats OK ;D<br><br>I did notice less turbo bark, faster cool down times, and a louder air filter. Top-end EGT, spool-up, and throttle response all stayed the same.<br><br>Merrick Cummings Jr
Old 05-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Banned

Just by removing the grid heater? What did you do with the wires running to it? Did you throw any codes?
Old 05-06-2003, 05:43 PM

Take your intake horn off, and you'll see the grids there. You can get a replacement block from Cummins that doesn't have the grid heaters in them.<br><br>I just literally tore mine out. I never plan on putting them back in, I wanted more air, and I didn't have all the tools with me on a lazy Sunday Afternoon. ( I had just enough tools to rip 'em out )<br><br>If you look down on the drivers side wheel well, you will see the grid heater relays,, simply unplug the small wire &quot;triggers&quot; for the relays.<br>When you go look, you will be able to identify them easily, if not, I can try to give a better description.<br><br>That's all I did. Got rid of 'em. Cost me about $2.50 in RTV &quot;make-a-gasket&quot; 'cause I tore the original gaskets. (Which you will probably do when you take your Intake horn off) I have sustained 45 PSI on my HX-40 for quiet a ways, and for many passes down the strip and haven't any problems with the make-a-gasket stuff.<br><br>Hope this helps.<br><br>Merrick Cummings Jr
Old 05-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Banned

I've taken my intake horn off many times (been polishing it up ;D) and the gasket is still intact. Maybe I'm just lucky. Did you rip the grids out and leave the block or just remove the block all together?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:38 AM

The Plenum (intake horn) won't clear the TPS if you remove the block.<br><br>You could say I gutted the grids.<br><br>You could use a wire snipper. ;D<br><br>I haven't looked into the price of a new grid heater block, as I never plan on re-installing it.<br><br>Merrick Cummings Jr

Quick Reply: Glow Plugs