24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Be Glad You Kept Your 2nd Gen Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be Glad You Kept Your 2nd Gen Automatic

Third Gens have a small problem...

"SAFETY RECALL TO INSTALL AN OUT-OF-PARK ALARM SYSTEM
Dear: (Name)
This letter is being sent to you in order to address a serious safety concern, and to facilitate the continued safe operation of your vehicle. DaimlerChrysler Corporation will install an Out-of-Park Alarm System in 2003 through 2005 model year Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Pickup Trucks equipped with an automatic transmission and
a diesel engine.
This software modification will help ensure that you have properly placed the shifter lever fully into the “Park” position before attempting to exit the vehicle. In the event that the “Park” position is accidentally not achieved, the alarm system will provide an audible and visual alert to the operator.
The problem is... DaimlerChrysler has determined that, in certain circumstances when a driver has not placed the shifter lever fully into the “Park” position and leaves the engine running, the
vehicle may unexpectedly move rearward after seeming to be stable."

Note to self... Don't park behind and Third Gen's!

RJ
Old 03-24-2006, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not get all the way into park one time and backed the trailer into the front fender of our Dodge Dart, thereby installing a good sized crease. Wife was none to happy, as this was to be her project car. You cannot even imagine the look on my face as I was standing beside a truck and trailer going in reverse without me steering it . Best part of the whole thing was the rear wheels never quit spinning, even as the trailer was wedged against the car . Ended up selling the Dart, but not before I have something good to laugh about now and again. Worse things can happen, but this does not sound totally out of line for Dodge.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read about that in the 3rd gen forums.

Open the door while the vehicle is in anything but park, and the horn starts honking like mad.

I guess lot of folks like having a door open to ease the backing of their trailers, and it scared the bajeezus out of them the first time it happened.

I'll keep my 2nd gen automatic for a while, although it won't be the factory auto for much longer.

phox
Old 03-24-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phox_mulder
Read about that in the 3rd gen forums.

Open the door while the vehicle is in anything but park, and the horn starts honking like mad.

I guess lot of folks like having a door open to ease the backing of their trailers, and it scared the bajeezus out of them the first time it happened.

I'll keep my 2nd gen automatic for a while, although it won't be the factory auto for much longer.

phox
I'll see your automatic and raise you a 3rd gen 6 speed.